“Good Experience”

Kilic Ali Pasa Hamami
Ranked #2 of 135 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: Kılıç Ali Paşa Hamam; The elegant authentic surroundings of this Turkish bath, magnificent creation of Mimar Sinan, transcends the timeless barriers between old and new… Giving you an escape from the hustle and bustle of beautiful Istanbul City.Mimar Sinan the legendary Architect of that period was commissioned by “Kilic Ali Pasa” to build the Hamam to withstand the ravages of the sea and time. The large light, Magnificent Dome above the Camegah (relaxation area) is 14 meters across and 17 meters high one of the largest single domes built by Sinan. The features of the Kulhan Chimney/exhaust, the leaded domes and the glass elephant eyes along with brick by brick reappointing, original Kurnas and some carved stone and marble slabs found during excavation have been retained and used within the premises adding to its extreme historical beauty and interest.The Hamam Ritual is an ancient one, the materials used have not significantly changed and used to restore energy and vitality to the body by reducing the toxins, and allowing the skin to breathe again
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was my first visit to a Hamam and I was quite happy with my visit. I took the tram from my hotel and it is directly across from the tram stop next to the church.

When I walked in, it was much bigger than I expected and has a huge lobby for relaxing. The place is immaculate and when I arrived, I was warmly welcomed and then showed to the dressing room. (Maybe un-dressing room would be a better word.)

I was escorted into the hamam and introduced to Errol, who was my attendant. He did a great job and made me feel very comfortable. He even showed me the dead skin he was washing off of me. When I was done, I have to say I'm not sure I have ever felt that clean in my life.

I thought it was a little overpriced compared to the prices of the other places, which is the only reason I'm not giving it five stars. However, in the end, I think it was worth the money. It was 130TL plus I left a 20TL tip. (That's about 80 US Dollars.)

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My first experience of a Hamam and it couldn't have been better!

I chose to have the Hamam ritual which cost me 130 lira. First I was given a locker to change into a towel. Then lead to the room with a hot slab of marble in the centre. The room was absolutely beautiful, with skylights. First they pour water over you, let you rest on the marble for half an hour. Then they scrub you , and lather you in bubbles (it's like a bubble bath but better!). They wash u again, and then let you relax back on the marble.i think we stayed in the marble room for around thirty minutes. They then lead you off into the large room which you entered to relax. I think it would be best to bring a nice book to relax with here. Also I have to recommended their lemonade and sherbet drinks, definitely the best I've had!
Money well spent! I visited some other Hamams later in my trip, but when I walked in and had a look they were no way as clean or relaxing looking as this one.

2  Thank Annie H
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I read report after report , part of me wanted to go , part of me was somewhat concerned ( yes I have been to over 80 countries and was still concerned - so not like me). I was there at 4,30 , when it opened for men. The building from the outside looked beautiful. When I went. Inside it was totally stunning. It would be worth a trip just to see the inside. I was met by a very professional team, shown to a locker room where I was given a towel and sandals. Again all was very clean.

Now the experience. You are taken into a room that has a circular slab of marble in the centre , with wash hand basins around the side along with marble seats. I was doused with water , hot and cold. Then I laid on my back on the hot marble for approx 15 mins. This was the only part of the experience I did not get. Maybe pure relaxation

The next part was a clean mitt came out , was soaked with water. Somewhat like a Brillo pad but was used to remove dead skin. Sounds awful but was wonderful. Then hot and cold water was poured over me to remove the debris. The sensation of not knowing whether hot or cold was coming was exhilarating . I had read before about the soapie bubbles. A bag somewhat like a pillow case was filled with soap and bubbles covered your body from next to foot. Goodness it felt so good and relaxing. I honestly felt like a million dollars. Next a softer mitten came out and I was covered from head to toe with soap. I now felt like the two million dollar man. Again the sensation of the hot / cold water. Then my body was massaged . maybe for about 10 mins. I was then wrapped in towels and brought into the main hall to relax. I was not hassled for drinks or even asked about a tip. I went and changed, came down paid my 130 lira with a credit. I had to ask about a tip . They provided me with an envelope , which I willingly left 20 lira for absolutely excellent service. I go monthly for a massage in Toronto . The 130 was money well spent. I cannot wait to do it again. I feel so clean and relaxed. Toronto have u have a Turkish bath like this I will be there. If you have a chance do it . Pay the extra money to get a very clean professional establishment.

3  Thank martin e
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I enjoyed two traditional hamam experiences during my visits to Istanbul in July 2013 ... both were exceptional. A true "turkophile," I have had at least 20 hamam treatments in my life ... and these were the best! The hamam is lovingly restored, efficiently managed, sparkling clean, with extremely professional staff. The receptionist, Mahmut, is a gem! My first hamam ritual (July 2, 2013) was with Erol and the second with Ali (July 15, 2013). Fantastic! I also had a full body massage with Bilal, who said "your body is telling me that you needed a massage." Indeed, he was 100% correct! Unlike other hamam experiences I have had, this one is more "in your face." Instead of leaning / bending over you on the marble, the hamam therapist is squatting in front of you to clean every nook and cranny of your body, which may not be enjoyable for people with "body issues," however I loved it! TIPS: No matter how tempted you may be to open your eyes -- at least during the shampoo -- keep them closed, as the hamam therapist will be washing your hair, eyes, ears, nose and face with wonderful soapy bubbles! I felt like a baby, having someone clean me with such care and attention. Wonderful!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was one of the most fun things we did in Istanbul. I won't belabor the point made by many other reviewers but briefly mention the highlights. Very clean, architecturally stunning facility. We took the tram from Sirkeci, where we were staying. The hamam is right next to a tram station. A bit pricey - the benefit is that it is not crowded (although that might also have to do with the fact that the protests were going on in Istanbul that week, and tourism was probably impacted). Very calm and hushed atmosphere. Our daughter went in for the last women's reservation. She was one of two customers while she was there. My son and I went in for the first men's appointment (thank you, TA reviewers for suggesting that). We were two of four customers, and they can probably handle a dozen at a time. It was the first time in a hamam for all of us and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. The process is pretty straightforward. The attendants are polite, courteous and respectful but not overly friendly. Very professional. I have no reference point to know how good they were relative to other hamams, but we certainly felt very clean and relaxed at the end of it. The process seemed pretty standard and all of the attendants (if that is the right word) seemed to go through it the same way. Would highly recommend the Kilic Ali Pasa hamam, especially if you are only going to do this once. Might as well do it in style.