“Very beautiful hamam but disappointed with bath”

Kilic Ali Pasa Hamami
Ranked #2 of 132 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: Kılıç Ali Paşa Hamam; The elegant authentic surroundings of this Turkish bath, magnificent creation of Mimar Sinan, transcends the timeless barriers between old and new… Giving you an escape from the hustle and bustle of beautiful Istanbul City.Mimar Sinan the legendary Architect of that period was commissioned by “Kilic Ali Pasa” to build the Hamam to withstand the ravages of the sea and time. The large light, Magnificent Dome above the Camegah (relaxation area) is 14 meters across and 17 meters high one of the largest single domes built by Sinan. The features of the Kulhan Chimney/exhaust, the leaded domes and the glass elephant eyes along with brick by brick reappointing, original Kurnas and some carved stone and marble slabs found during excavation have been retained and used within the premises adding to its extreme historical beauty and interest.The Hamam Ritual is an ancient one, the materials used have not significantly changed and used to restore energy and vitality to the body by reducing the toxins, and allowing the skin to breathe again
Singapore, Singapore
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Very beautiful hamam but disappointed with bath”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was my first time at a haman and i read up on it beforehand to prepare myself for what to expect. I decided to splurge and was really excited to try this one especially with all the positive reviews here, however, my experience was mixed.

The hamam is beautifully restored and clean. It was very quiet when I went in the morning with only one other client present. My major gripe would be that i spent too little time in the bath area and too much time relaxing in the lounge area. The washing part was short, lasting for approximately 15-20 minutes, which i hear is the norm but I was hoping to hang out in the bath afterwards only to be rushed out by the staff. First, I was asked to lay on the marble. It was a bit chilly and i was definitely not sweating it out. The lady assigned to me approached me nicely and told me to sit next to the basin. She seemed nice but did not really understand English so I couldn't really communicate with her. I was expecting a vigorous scrub down but had a very gentle scrub instead. After the scrub I had tons of bubbles doused onto my body and this was really the best part of the bath. The sensation of having thousands of bubbles on me is unlike anything else I have experienced. Thereafter I was rinsed off and told to rest on the marble. As I lay there for a few minutes, I was approached and asked to go out to the lounge area. I was a bit confused about why they were trying to get me to leave so soon since I thought the whole purpose is to relax in the bath(?) so I told her I wanted to stay for a while longer. A few minutes later, she came over again and asked me to leave and " relax" outside. I felt odd and embarrased that she was asking me to leave again so complied. She dried my hair and I was given a towel to wrap around myself.

I was a bit disappointed at how short it was and would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't rushed out. Overall, I was really disappointed with the experience and wonder if this is the way it should have been?

Visited June 2013
1 Thank CDSKJ

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Relaxing and Amazing!”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I am quite a shy person, and was very apprehensive about the idea of a hamam in general. It was honestly one of my favourite experiences in Istanbul! Such a beautiful place, with a lovely calm atmosphere. The staff are professional and friendly, and it was well worth splurging a bit!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank katemclean
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best hammam in town”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Professional and friendly staff, wonderfull old time building, and very relaxing.

From 8am to 4pm the hammam is reserved for women only, then from 4:30pm to 11:30pm for men.

100TL for the entrance, then you can stay how long you want, go back to the hall and get some turkish tea and water ( free ) and then go back again into the hammam room. The place was so relaxing that we staid more than 5h there.

Unfortunatly, the place is too expensive for most of locals

Visited July 2013
1 Thank eyzx
Oslo, Norway
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“130 TLR”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I got a bit suspicious when 14 out of 14 comments on my tripadvisor app for this hamam had top ranging. However, I decided to go anyway because it seemed like a serious and nice place. And it was really nice! It costed 130 TLR + tips (I gave 20 TLR) which included everything. The washing-part did not take very long time. However, I spent 1.5 hours there because it was very nice to relax in the lounge afterwards.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank imfg
Albany, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“One of our most memorable experiences in Istanbul!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Kilic Ali Pasa Hammami was suggested to us by a young Turkish woman who lives in the U.S. We are SO glad we made the reservation. We arrived a little early so the friendly staff suggested we have a light lunch at the ISTANBUL MODERN, Istanbul's museum of modern art which is within walking distance of Kilic Ali Pasa Hamami. We ate lunch with a gorgeous view of the Bosphorus

While I was having my Hamam my husband visited with the charming owner, Ergin Iren in the cafe which is right outside the Hamam and he told my husband that he purchased the ancient building and refurbished it himself. It sounded like it was a labor of love. Ergin did a magnificent job, it is beautiful and clean both inside and out. From the locker area to the warm marble slabs, the beautiful lounging area and breath taking domed ceiling.

The bath experience is not to be missed. Your entire body is scrubbed with a sandpaper-like mitt, it was like I imagine microdermabrasion to be, suds are poured over your head and body, your hair is shampooed and then your arms and legs are massaged. It was different than anything we have ever experienced and one of the most memorable parts of our trip.

While waiting for my husband I spoke with Ergin and met he beautiful new wife, his brother, mother and father and little neice. What a lovely family! Ergin recommended a restaurant for that evebing and even made the reservation for us. The restaurant was wonderful by the way. The entire experience was great and memorable and I highly recommend it!

Visited May 2013