“Professional, knowledgable and nice!”

Ali's Protravel & Tours
Sultanahmet Old City Tour with Private Guide
Ranked #10 of 77 Food & Drink in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Compared to your typical guide who simply 'transport' you to the hot tourist spots, our tour service is unique in the sense that we will enthrall you with historical snippets at every major point of interest. As I have studied Christianity, Archaeology, history, mythology (as well as other related subjects) I can help you understand our diverse history and culture. My individual approach comes from a keen sense of reality (and humour) and aims to be friendly, informative, and entertaining, with stories and conversation to illustrate the many facets of this richly varied and fascinating country..in addition to that you will also be eating at typical Turkish restaurants serving authentic food for lunch and we will show you all the reliable places for shopping hand-made rugs,Turkish Jewellery, leather bags, jackets, ceramics, Quartz tiles, Turkish Delight, Saffron, Baklava etc. As soon as we receive a request you will be contacted within 24 hours.
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Ali is an excellent guide. He knows what he is talking about without overwhelming you, let's you set the pace and yet encourages you to see as much you are able to, including for our 11 year old who was in a grumpy mood the day we walked around for around the old city for over 6 hours! Highly recommend Ali and look forward to having him guide us our next time to lovely Istanbul!

There are newer reviews for Ali's Protravel & Tours

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Hired Ali for a private walking tour of Istanbul for my friends and I. Ali was professional, knowledgeable and friendly. He took us to the key places we needed to see and even helped enrich our food and cultural knowledge about Turkey. You know you are in good hands when you are guided by someone who has authored several guidebooks about Turkey!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We had Ali take our group of 3 adults and 6 children (age 9-18) around Istanbul for two days and can't speak highly enough of him. He is great on history, and can explain it in ways that makes the kids also understand it. He was flexible on what he showed us after hearing of our interests, recommended great restaurants and ice cream shops for when we were on our own, and is also a carpet expert for those wishing to purchase those. His very personable and kind and it feels like an old friend is taking you around his city. We recommend Ali 100%

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Over the years I have worked with a good number of private guides. Ali's perfect reviews made me a little suspicious, but he is really one of the very best - we had a great day in Istanbul and it was like walking around with a good friend who knows close to everything. Ali is not only a excellent guide, he is also a fine human being. Thank you Ali, I'll be back.

1  Thank JVMTDK
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I had arrived in Turkey a bit earlier than my work colleagues, and as a woman traveling alone was nervous to go out by myself. So a couple of days prior, I sent e-mails to a few of the top rated Trip Advisor Istanbul private tour guides and Ali was quick to respond. His English was flawless, he was quick to answer all my questions and his fee was fair and comparable to the other guides.

At our first "Merhaba" ("hello" in Turkish pronounced mehr hah bah) I immediately felt at ease with Ali; he felt like an old friend I had reconnected with. He had helped arrange for a driver to take us to the Old City, where I wanted to hit the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market given I had limited time. But on the ride Ali let me know about a few other attractions we could fit in based on my interests, starting with a trip to a Turkish rug store (I had wanted one forever). It's here I found out Ali was an expert and author of a book on buying Turkish and Persian rugs. The place he took me had a fantastic selection of carpets, and browsing them with Ali was like a lesson in history and buying. I ended up buying a vintage Turkish hand knotted rug for an extremely good price, with a certificate of authenticity and it arrived in New York in perfect condition 4 days later!

As we navigated Blue Mosque, The Grand Bazaar and Spice Market conversation flowed smoothly. Ali presents information and history in an entertaining and conversational way. I learned so much in the few hours I was with him. He knew many of the vendors in the markets, which made bargaining incredibly easy as the vendors immediately gave us their best price (although Ali happily provided a few tips if I'd wanted to haggle). He also somehow found the vendors with the best quality Turkish delights, Turkish honey, scarves and evil eye souvenirs I was looking for amongst the hundreds of options.

Ali is flexible, fun, informative and patient and he can make anything happen, whether you want a private motor yacht up the Bosphorus or a guided trip to the Hagia Sophia. I would highly recommend him to anyone who wants to feel as though they are touring Istanbul with an extremely knowledgable, connected and likable friend and if I ever return he will be the first person I call.