Hodjapasha Cultural Center
Istanbul Hodjapasha Rhythm of The Dance Show

Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Hodjapasha Cultural Center
2,149 results
All reviews dance show religious ceremony cultural experience dervish rumi tickets prayer
Selected filters
Reviewed August 18, 2016

You are told to arrive 30 min before the show this is not necessary. Yes you need to be a little early to read the information on the walls which is very important and quite empowering and a must to read. You are then shown to a room where you are squeezed into your allocated seat. We purchased out tickets early so we had front row seats thank goodness as they are very uncomfortable chairs pushed together so you actually touch the people sitting next to you. I had a very large person next to me so she overflowed her seat. The performance started with music which was just OK with no explanation of the music,chanting or the movements of the dervish, a lot was lost in the experience. I feel that a representative from Hodjapasha should explain what is about to happen so we can understand the spirituality of the Dervishes. The initial chanting seemed to last a long time before we even saw the Dervish. They appear and make a long display of placing fur pieces on the floor, why? They walk around and bow a number of times. Again the significance is lost. Eventually the whirling starts it stops and restarts a number of times, the whirling is mesmerizing it was quite amazing how they did not get dizzy or bumped into each . Never then less a little boring Many in the audience must have agreed as at one point I counted 6 or 7 people asleep and some people just left. I wish we had more understanding of the performance, I am sure we would have enjoyed it more. I believe even though we did not know what was happening it was a spiritual experience. I don't think children will enjoy or understand and I think they might get bored. It was different from anything we have been to before and you could see that they were all clearly totally mesmerised in their whirling. This is a religious display and certainly different from any other I have been to and very interesting to see.

Date of experience: July 2016
2  Thank 792Carol_H
Reviewed August 15, 2016

With no explanation of the meaning of either the chanting or the movements of the dervish, a lot was lost in the experience. The initial chanting seemed tolast a long time befor we even saw the ervish. They appear and make a great display of placing fur pieces, but we are not sure why. They reappear to walk andbow a number of times. Again the significance is lost on us. Eventually the whirling bgins, it stops and restarts a number of times, slower than what we expected, both the show and the whirling. Many in the audience must have agreed as at one point we counted 11 people asleep.
I wish we had more knowledge walking in of the significance of all the moves, rhen we would have enjoyed it more.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed August 13, 2016

I mean no disrespect for the Mevlevi Sema ceremony, but marketing a religious act as entertainment/show seems wrong. Hodjapasha Cultural Center charge was 75 TL, no photographs or video is allowed (it would be as inappropriate as taking pictures during a mass). This is a religious act. Not a show. There is no crescendo or build up. Ceremony takes about 1 hour.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed August 11, 2016 via mobile

The dervish performance here can be relaxing, meditative and spiritual if one is mentally prepared. Tip: no sneaking photos (hit by laser) and talking/laughing. By doing so, you not only show respect to performers but also to your fellow audience.

Date of experience: June 2016
1  Thank ShaiSharma
Reviewed July 29, 2016

I liked this performance. We attended the half hour Dervish experience and feel that the shorter show was enough for me. The setting is lovely in an old hamam. Small area in lobby describing what you will see. Live band. Seats are not assigned to get there early to choose your seat.

Date of experience: July 2016