“Delicious and cheap”

Ranked #53 of 14,312 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Description: We are located right in the heart of old Istanbul, Sultanahmet. We are just 2 streets away from the Blue Mosque and walking distance to all major attractions in Istanbul. We offer high quality food from our qualified chef. And always give outstanding service. You will enjoy our Ottoman Turkish cuisine.
Reviewed January 25, 2014

If you visit Sultanahmet probably you'll visit Akbiyik street. (because there are many restaurant) That's why when you get there, you have to select this place. i visit their kitchen, it was so big and clean..

1  Thank FerdiAYDIN
Write a ReviewReviews (1,737)

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I read mezze were amazing, we had a terrible yogurt and humus without any special taste, pita was good. My chicken shis with rice and mash potatoes ... was not shis at all and taste very poor, my husband has a very greasy pizza ... Wine is more expensive than a trendy place we went ! I don't understand why this this restaurant has a number 2 among great restaurants .

3  Thank cathyreissinger
Reviewed January 17, 2014

They gave us complementary pita, tea, and baklava. Gino and his theatrics were really cool. The food was excellent as well.

1  Thank AnirudhKat
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We initially found out about this place on tripadvisor and I was intrigued to why it had such a high rating. From the outside, it just looks like the rest of the cafe restaurants on the street however the moment you meet Gino and step inside the place you immediately get a feeling this place has something special.

Gino and all the staff were very welcoming and really friendly whilst at no point pressuring or intrusive like some of the other restaurant owners you walk past in Istanbul.

Gino served us up a free pitta bread and dips (Fresh Pesto, Olives and some chopped peppers) to start with, the bread and dips were fresh, tasty and the free gesture was very much appreciated.

My first look at the menu had me concerned this wasn't the type of restaurant we wanted as there was a lot of european food on there, which is fine but not is not what you go to Istanbul for...
We explained that we wanted Turkish food and he recommended we have the çökertme kebab, which was absolutely outstanding! Id never had this dish before and from the looks of things, its typically served with chips, etc...
Shadows way to serve this was first class and resembled something you may get in a much more expensive restaurant.
They served it with a portion of pan fried/hash brown style potato pieces topped with touch of a tomato type salsa then topped with some succulent pieces of beef and surrounded by yoghurt.

The presentation of the food was good and it tasted absolutely delicious.
To finish with Gino brought us over some Turkish Pastries as a free desert which was also a very kind gesture and leaves people with only good memories of this place.

The reason this place is so highly rated is because it ticks all the boxes:

Good Food
Friendly / Hospitable
Warm Welcoming atmosphere
Attention to detail
Great Value for money
Kind gestures of free courses such as the bread and desert.
Fantastic Service

Its all of these things that make this restaurant worthy of its trip advisor rating and definitely worth a visit.

We returned a couple of days later with a friend to try the testi kebab! :)

3  Thank Stezzle85
Reviewed January 11, 2014

To sum it up, the food here is very special. To begin, Geno, our waiter, couldn't have given us better service.

I knew it was going to be a great food experience as soon as they brought over the pita and dips. Best pita I've ever had in my life. We ordered an appetizer but Geno cancelled it because "it wasn't fresh enough". Normally I would be a bit upset but for some reason I trusted Geno. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what my plate what called but it was slow cooked beef over hashbrown potatoes covered with a delicious red sauce. Surrounding the meat was a deliciously prepared yogurt. The plate was amazing!! If that wasn't enough, they brought a desert plate on the house which was to die for.

A must visit when in Turkey if you're agenda includes eating delicious food.

1  Thank Ksalas84