“Awesome place to stay!”
Review of Aprilis Hotel

Aprilis Hotel
Ranked #299 of 1,178 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Aprilis Hotel is located about 2 blocks from the Hippodrome, 3 to Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia, 4 to the Cistern ,one block to the tram line and only a 5 minutes walk to the Grand Bazaar, in my opinion the bazaar is not a place to buy something but definitely to see. There is a market right across the street but it carries very little , just another lock towards the Hippodrome and on other side of the street is a very good little market for simple food stuffs.The Aprilis is in the perfect location. As previously mentioned in other reviews, there is McDonalds and Burger King 50 metres up the street and I admit it is nice to have a change but if you want some good home cooking , a block away on same street is a restaurant called Ortaklar and it serves good sandwiches, cheese bread , lamb also salads. They make all their own bread in their ovens on site. Back to the Aprilis now.... The hotel is very clean , breakfast is good and amount supplied is substantial , the staff are exceptional. They can't do enough for you. Our situation was a little unique. We had stayed earlier in our trip and had left on a little tour of Turkey. Unfortunately we were involved in a very bad car accident. After 4 days in hospital in Konya we arrived back unexpectedly to Istanbul. The Aprilis made every effort to accommodate this last minute reservation by our tour company, we are talking high season here and i am sure they had to scramble to do this for us. they even made extensions to the time we needed to recuperate and took extra special care of us and our needs. Nothing we asked for was too much trouble for the staff. Gurkan is the day manager here and made us feel like family. Would I stay here again? definitely! Would I recommend? Absolutely? This hotel is only about 6 mos old at the time of this writing. I never stay too fancy since I don't believe in spending crazy bucks on a place to lay my head for a few hours but in this case it was all taken care of by our tour company ( city of sultans if you wish to know and they were super duper awesome) we were clean, comfortable, safe and at home here and the rooms were definitely adequate and we should know since we spent days in them .The perfect recipe to get well before our travel home. The Aprilis is a wonderful little gem and I highly recommend the hotel to all!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 106 on both visits this trip , very nice . Twin beds. We did not see any other roo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was my first time in Istanbul, and like many travellers, it is always hard choosing hotels over the Internet-but, I must say, I am SO glad I stayed here. We just got back from a 5 day stay here, and ever since my mother and I have been back, my mom cannot stop talking about how much she loved it.

The location was great - in the heart of Istanbul. The tram was close-by which provided very easy access to other areas apart from Sultanahmet. Right in front of the hotel, various restaurants are available, a hookah bar and a convenience store. Grand bazaar is literally a 5 min walk, and so is the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. Also, its 5 mins from the main point from where all the tour buses leave. It was a great location, honestly, we would shop so much and if our bags got heavy it was very easy to drop them off in our room and then go out again. Mcdonald's and Burger King were within walking distance and the best part, that it's all Halal! Also, there were many ATM's and exchange offices nearby. TIP: walk a little more to check the rates at the other exchange offices as some provided better rates then others, but all provided no commission.

There was a breakfast buffet that was served for I think 3 hours every morning and was varied during my stay. Juices, coffee, tea, cakes, eggs, fruits, it was all there and was continuously replenished during the hours of service.

The room was very clean and nice. Everything functioned well and there were many international channels to use from and most importantly, it was very comfortable. I could fall asleep within seconds of laying down. Free wifi was included and was fast enough. There was a mini bar that was filled with water, soda drinks and chocolate. Water was free and was replaced daily, but the others were of additional cost.

The staff was amazing. Really helped with everything to ensure we hard a great stay. Gurkan was great in dealing with the touristic aspects- the tours, where to go, etc. There are many tours that you can choose from, dinner hot-spots, cruises, belly dancing dinners, etc that I think if you book through the Hotel, you get free transportation from and to hotel, so do consider that when/if you want to do tours.

Overall, do not hesitate to stay at this hotel. Go book it and you really won't regret it! I can't wait to be back. We've already decided that we are only staying here in the future... so don't forget us Mr.Gurkan!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was a family trip and first time to Istanbul. Hotel was in an excellent location, walking distance to the tram stop and all the main big attractions. McDonalds and Burger King nearby (a big plus point for my boys , as it's Halal!!)
The hotel room was spacious and clean, nice big bathroom with underfloor heating!, shower really good. Only downside side was that there was not enough lighting in the room. Breakfast was good , but variety could be added. All staff really friendly, especially Gurkan who helped us with all our tourist enquiries.
With regards to Istanbul - one thing NOT to do, is the Bus Tour, though they say 2hrs it is actually 4hours, traffic is atrocious ... You could have flown back to London!!
Will definitely go back and stay at the Aprilis

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank F K
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Really enjoyed my week stay at the Aprilis hotel fantastic location and the staff really make you feel at home and are happy to help especially Gurkan with locations, information or just a nice cup of Turkish tea when you come in from the cold not just to me but all the guests. Really is a good place to stay with clean rooms, a great shower and friendly atmosphere would stay again and recommend to all coming to Istanbul.

Room Tip: rooms are fine only trouble for mine was a building next to here decided to change the windows from...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Great stay at Aprilis Hotel in heart of old Istanbul... easy walking distance to everything (one block to tram line if needed)... courteous, attentive staff, especially Ercan at reception (who even provided evening tea)... free wi-fi, delicious breakfast buffet included... rooms small, but always clean, comfortable, new baths... airport pickup... not over luxury, but great place, great location. Easy to recommend.

Room Tip: Interior rooms do not have windows, some windows face street (yes, some noise)... be sure to ask for...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Aprilis Hotel. Perfect location. Easy walking distance to everything. Free wifi. Breakfast included. Clean bedrooms and newly renovated baths. Polite staff; thanks to Oktay Enes. We arranged to be picked up at the airport which made our arrival very easy and taken back to the airport. I would recommend this hotel to any of our friends. The only downside, if you get a room on the street it is noisey. And inside rooms do not have any windows.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I liked Aprilis Hotel a lot. The main thing: it is in the center of the old city! You can walk easily to see the monuments, Grand Bazar and so on. Nice stuff. The breakfast could change more; all mornings were the same, but the food was nice. The street where the hotel is located is very narrow, and the hall in the reception is a little small, but these are just details. The man responsible for take care of breakfast is very gently, even with a little english. It is not super luxe hotel, but is very comfortable and the room was very beautiful! It's like 3 stars plus plus!****

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family