“Beautiful property a bit removed from key attractions”

Renaissance Istanbul Polat Bosphorus Hotel
Ranked #132 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance Bosphorus primarily for business but with plans to spend a weekend at leisure exploring the city. My colleague picked the hotel -- largely due to his Marriott loyalty and status. Overall, the property was very modern and I encountered excellent service throughout my stay for the most part -- except for two separate instances with two different concierges, who were both more interested in saying "yes" than answering my questions truthfully (possibly due to a bit of a language barrier). Also, although I had booked a room on the club level (via Marriott.com), I was surprised to be given a standard guest room. When I returned to the Front Desk to inquire about it, I was informed that there was no club at this location and therefore "club rooms" were just standard rooms. (In retrospect, the club room rate was the same as a standard room when I booked it... which is the only reason I booked a club room at all. Since I didn't pay any more for it, I wasn't too upset when I didn't get the club access... but, it's still odd that they made a distinction at all in the booking site... hopefully just a glitch that has since been fixed.)

My room and en-suite bathroom were very well-appointed, although very tight (even by European standards).

Istanbul is such a decentralized city that there really is no central location, but this property is definitely a decent cab ride away from most historical/tourist sites (and given traffic backs-up round-the-clock, even the short ride to the Old City on paper can be a good 30-40 min jaunt). Overall, not a bad pick if you're looking for a traditional business hotel without much local character but complete with ultra-modern design and amenities.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, although if I returned to Istanbul on vacation (and had the opportunity to pick the hotel entirely by myself), I'd likely opt for one of the many boutique hotels in town with lots of local character and closer to most tourist attractions.

Room Tip: If a "club level" room is offered, don't be fooled -- it's just a mis-marked stand...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sww326
Renaissance Ist... B, General Manager at Renaissance Istanbul Polat Bosphorus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Dear guest, Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Renaissance Istanbul Bosphorus Hotel. It is great to receive such positive comments, especially about our staff and navigator team.

I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that our new Club Lounge is recently opened. It is located at the same floor R Fitness & Spa Club, with new food and beverage amenities between 12:00 – 22:30 every day. We will be delighted to welcoming you again to discover all our new amenities in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Istanbul Polat Bosphorus Hotel

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Really nice hotel. Good spa and gym area, The executive lounge on the top of the hotel was a happy surprise, really nice view and chill-out atmosphere. Breakfast and afternoon snacks was quite good as well - above my expectations.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay at Renaissance Istanbul Bosphorus Hotel. We are delighted to hear that our staff service exceeded your expectations. We always look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and to discover something wonderfully new.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The stay in this hotel started with a very nice check experience and all the staff in the hotel were just wonderfully nice.
The choice ,variety and quantity of food at breakfast or dinner buffet is quite disapointing, and even if you asked the restaurant just did not have enough supplies. The quality was excellent but there was not much to choose from.
The swimming pool is great, but you have to wear a swimming cap, if you dont have one you can buy an expensive one that has a strange odor. This used to be a must many years ago nowadays I have not seen such a condition anywhere. If you are bald headed then you don,t need a cap.

Room Tip: Only the higher floors and front facing rooms have a view of the Bosporus, but the Roof Top bar is g...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent Renaissance Istanbul Bosphorus experience with us. I like to inform you that we recently renovate all breakfast set-ups, hopefully in your next visit to our hotel, we will exceed your expectations and create a wonderful experience.

Usage of the swimming cap for the pool is a Hotel policy to offer a healthy and clean swimming experience for all our guest.

We always look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was at Istanbul for the first time with my wife and two kids. This hotel is a bit distance from all the attractions in Istanbul, but it is worth the stay. I read all the reviews on this site before booking it and they all say the same thing I have to say. The staff are wonderful. All you have is to ask them for where you want to go and they will help you on how to get there and all the needed information. I like to take the public transportation when I go places. From this hotel to center of Besiktas is only fifteen minutes walk and its all downhill. From there to Kabatas is another fifteen minutes walk or you can take the bus. Along the way you will pass Dolmabahce Palace. From Kabatas which is the beginning of T1 metro line you can go to all the major attractions. The taxi ride to Kabatas is from the hotel is 10-12 liras which is not bad. But on the way back they will charge you double. Don't ask me why! On the way back we usually walked back from Kabatas to center of Besiktas and from there right at the beginning of Barbaros Blvd there are these minibuses which are run privately and for 1.5 liras they will pass right in front of the hotel. They will stop anywhere you ask them to.
The breakfast at the hotel is great and the variety of options they have is wonderful.
All together I tell you if my kids were happy at this hotel, it was a good hotel and they were. I used my Marriott points to reserve two rooms for the three nights we stayed in here and It was worth it.
I forgot our passports in the room's safe. I remembered it when I got to airport. I called the hotel on my way back to pick them up and they got the passports ready for me and I still made it to my flight.

Room Tip: Any upper floor room facing the Bosphorus is good
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Renaissance Ist... B, General Manager at Renaissance Istanbul Polat Bosphorus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Renaissance İstanbul Bosphorus Hotel. It is great to receive such positive comments, especially about our staff and navigator team. We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My room (standard) was excellent - small but perfectly formed. Certainly not a lot of space but the level of finish is very high. The bathoom and the room itself were flawless. Instead of a bath there was a large shower 'compartment' (1x3 metres!) and there was the possibility to attach a computer or HDMI device to the TV from the desk. My only complaint is the bed was quite soft so not suitable if you need a firm mattress/divan to sleep on.

Internet is extremely good (free and fast - 16Mbit/s - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2810818400) and the location near the bridge means you can get to most of the city including the Asian side without having to endure too much Istanbul traffic.

The roof bar and terrace has great views of the river and beyond. All in all an excellent base for your business trip

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay at Renaissance İstanbul Bosphorus Hotel. It is great to hear that our hotel exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Arrived from the airport by taxi in about an hour to this boutique hotel. I loved the roof bar it has superb views of Bosporus. My room had the same view too, I really like the -all around window- style, the very practical bathroom (no bath tub though) and space layout. Breakfast and lunch options are buffet in the same area with the food being ok and the service also ok, maybe some of the staff is struggling to understand English. I really didn’t like the internet option where you have to put a different password for every device and if a little time passes you need to retype the passowrd again and again. Lack of business centre was a big minus too.

I was on business close by so it was very convenient for me; I didn’t like the area much though... The location is not as convenient if you want to visit centre: Agia Sofia etc. With the horrible traffic it took me about an hour to get there by taxi. Next day I tried the metro which is about 20-25 minutes’ walk from the hotel to Taxim, but overall that took about an hour too. So if you can afford a taxi just go for it and be prepared to withstand the traffic (also beware many taxi drivers will try to get much more money of you than the taxi ride’s worth…).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Renaissance İstanbul Bosphorus Hotel. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, especially the great Bosphorus view from your room and the Bar 212.
Our highest priority is to provide our guest a memorable stay and I would like to take this opportunity to inform you about our new Business Center. It is located near our Ballroom under the lobby area with comfortable services. And we are also working on the internet issues which you mentioned. We will update the internet log-in procedures as soon as possible.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and to discover our wonderfully new services.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Trying to decide where to stay in the very large city of Istanbul can be daunting. We first try to find a Marriott because of our membership status but in Istanbul there are no Marriott near the tourist sights and I was worried about the traffic problems that are mentioned in other reviews. We decided to go ahead and stay at Renaissance even though it is not near tourist sights because of the additional benefits of Marriot membership- happy hour cocktails and breakfast included.

We were happy with our decision.

Now after having been to Istanbul I think the view to have is of the Bosphorus! It is magnificent to be on the top floor of the hotel at the bar, outside, and view the Bosphorus.

Though there is no executive lounge there is happy hour in the living room with complimentary drinks and breakfast was expansive. We got upgraded to a lovely room. I thought the bathroom, hot water, toiletries etc were wonderful. Staff was helpful, hotel was clean, everything worked well!

We would stay again! One splurge suggestion- go for drinks and/or dinner at the 4 Seasons Hotel Bosphorus at Aqua Restaurant. Then you will have seen the Bosphorus from high on top of a building as well right at waterside. It truly is magical.

suggestion

Room Tip: High up facing Bosphorus
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your Renaissance İstanbul Bosphorus experience with us. It is great to receive such positive comments which motivate us to go above and beyond. I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that our new Elite Members Lounge is recently opened. It is located at the same floor R Fitness & Spa Club, with new food and beverage amenities between 12:00 – 22:30 every day.