“Drugged Tea”

Elegance Rug Galery
Ranked #304 of 547 Shopping in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Masters Collection is a collaboration between iconic modern architects and rural Afghan weavers. This unique collection elegantly embodies the marriage of high design and traditional techniques.
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Beware of this store. My husband was served DRUGGED TEA in the back and barely made it out. He was brought to the store by a "runner" who was working in the mosque area, who seemed very nice and polite. When in the store, he was told it was a tradition to drink tea together, and then served apple tea. Luckily he only drank half the cup before his teeth started to go numb and his head began to spin. A very common ploy in Istanbul, but not expected in a store in such a "safe" neighborhood that appeared to high-end. DO NOT DRINK THE TEA

17  Thank JoyRR

Reviewed November 3, 2012

On a recent visit to Istanbul i went to visit a shop that a friend of mine had recommened called Elegance. They were very hospitable and provided me with a wonderful explanation on the history and the making of various different types of carpets and kilms, it was very interesting and i enjoyed it very much, everyone was very friendly. I did end up buying a beatiful wool on cotton carpet which i love and i am definately going back to vist them next year when i visit Istanbul.

Amanda
Peterborough

2  Thank Amanda R
Reviewed August 2, 2012

i was shopinhg at Elegance last may 2012.. it was a great ecperience to shop rugs at Elegance.. Great and friendly customer service,reasonably price and huge sellection..then with their advise we went to ARDESING JEWELLERY store ,..excellent jewellery diamonds,golds,briliants unbelieve able...very friendly costumer service,bought a lot of jewellery with great price..every piece of jewellery they make it by hand.. i watched for a while when they were setting diamonds on a ring..while drinking my Turkish coffee. i will strongly recomend Elegance rug and Ardesign jewellery all my friends

3  Thank Abe U
Reviewed June 25, 2012

this store was round the corner from our hotel .
great window display,
kept walking past as had fear was pricey but Aziz greated us outside and managed to alay our fears we popped in for short look around and decided to visit days later once we had our tours out of the way.
I liked the fact that we could explain what we wanted in terms of design and we had various rugs presented to us at ease until we found what we liked and ended paying a price that we found agreable to all.
i will visit on my next visit.

3  Thank nfero
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Three week ago I purchased a $350 pair of Amber ear-rings from the jewellery counter in the ground floor of Elegance carpets- a sub-business of the store. I later discovered my viscard had been overcharged by $2,500 Australian dollars. They have claimed it was an error, but despite promising to have not repaid the money after three weeks of attempts. I have notified my bank and lodged a dispute.

12  Thank AussieTourist3000