“Clean, Well-located, Great Rooftop Deck”
Review of Hanedan Hotel

Hanedan Hotel
Ranked #388 of 1,150 Hotels in Istanbul
Western NY
“Clean, Well-located, Great Rooftop Deck”
Reviewed August 6, 2009

I stayed for a week recently by myself on my first trip to Istanbul. I was a little worried about what it might be like to travel as a woman alone so I purposely chose a smaller hotel. The Hanedan Hotel felt perfectly safe, although I was surprised to find it run by young people and not the multi-generational family I imagined.

The hotel is located just underneath the Aya Sofia (about two blocks down a very steep hill towards the water). It is just off of a main tourist street, filled with tourist-friendly restaurants and shops, travel agencies for day trips, small grocery shops, etc. An ATM is located about 1.5 blocks away, as is a post office. The cooking school is on this street as well. The Four Seasons is right there too. It feels safe in the immediate neighborhood, although definitely touristy (but interestingly, the tourists were a very international mix, running the gamut from backpackers to families to high-end denizens of the Four Seasons.) Some of the shopkeepers are quite aggressive (in a mostly friendly but very persistent way). But for a first-time tourist, the neighborhood around this hotel was pretty great.

The hotel itself has 3 floors of rooms, with a very steep and somewhat narrow staircase (thank goodness the desk clerk offered to take my luggage up to my 3rd floor room!). There are only a few rooms on each floor, and while I could hear the doors being opened and closed, this was definitely a quiet hotel guest-wise. The rooftop breakfast room/deck was amazing, with perfect views of the Bosphorus, the Marmara Sea, and over the shoulder, a lovely view of the Aya Sofia. To see the Blue Mosque (only about 4 blocks away) you have to crane your neck, but you can see all 6 minarets. My room was VERY clean, with marble tile in the bathroom and a refinished dark wood floor in the small entry hall and bedroom. Each room is named after a different historic period in Turkey, and while my room didn't have a good view (I saw into the building next door), the room was large enough for my queen size 4-poster bed, plus a desk and chair and plenty of room for yoga on the floor. Oddly, there were obviously supposed to be two traditional paintings on the wall, but one was missing. There was just the nail and some marks in the paint where it had been. It felt pretty discordant with the rest of my experience, but it also suggested a more casual and relaxed atmosphere (which fortunately did not extend to cleanliness, which was excellent!).

There is free wireless internet (with a server on each floor so there is plenty of bandwidth and it was never slow while I was there). There was no TV in the room, but that was fine with me since I hadn't come to watch TV. The AC worked quickly and well. The shower had plenty of water pressure (and plenty of hot water). The desk, as I mentioned before, was run by younger men who all seemed friendly, although not all of them spoke English all that well (they just ran across the street to a sister hotel if there was a language issue and things got worked out quickly). They were all very friendly and polite.

The breakfast was pretty good, BTW. There was fresh bread, thick Turkish yogurt, a selection of jams, honey, and butter, as well as olive spread and two different kinds of cheese and cold cuts. There were also hard-boiled eggs. There were fresh apricots every morning, and some mornings there were grapes or melon. The friendly young woman working there was quick to make tea or coffee to order. The view for breakfast was really amazing, and it added up to quite a pleasant experience.

Overall, I found the hotel to be quiet and relaxed. It was not really fancy, and besides the lobby and the rooftop deck, there weren't public spaces. It was great to have the internet access, and it was great that everything was clean. Nothing was really fancy (for example, I could see on the next rooftop deck over, there were hammocks that people could use, and several other rooftop decks on neighboring hotels had bars and restaurants), but it was a good solid place to stay. And probably the lack of flashy tourist draws made this hotel a lot quieter, so it really works for people looking for a basic decent place that is near to the action but is pretty quiet and safe inside. I'd certainly stay there next time I go to Istanbul.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank Moth612

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Turkish first
bruxelles
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We stayed at Hanedan hotel for 7 nights with our 2 little girls.
They have 3 family rooms and we stayed in all of them. Our room on the 1st floor had a problem with air conditioning, so we've been moved to the second floor and,as we came back after 4 days away, they offered us the room with sea view as a gesture for the airco problem.
They are all spacious and clean. On the 3rd floor, the view is amazing and there, you have actually a separate room for the children, while in the other 2, we all sleep in the same room.
The staff was friendly and helpful.
The only minus point was that the sheets could have been better quality...

But all in one, we were happy!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank irmalaboule
Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2009

Hanedan Hotel is the best hotel you could get in Istanbul for a great cheap price. Service is friendly. People at the reception are like your family. People on the terrace are always happy. You have a good breakfast, to start the day. The room is very much acceptable and the bathroom is more than great. Beds are comfortable. May be the rooms are not so fancy with much decor and super paint and all that, but we all know that we only need a bed in istanbul as tourists. For me, I wasn't there to sleep much, I just needed a secure, air conditioned acceptable place with friendly service and I had that. If you are muslim, there is a great small mosque beside the hotel 30 sec walking that we discovered 5 days after our stay because its kind of hidden! Be sure to pray there. We all believed its the best we visited because its simple, with almost no decor, with humble community praying there. The hotel is also beside the blue mosque 5 min walking. You have a small convenience store not far from the hotel, where you can buy water, snacks and fruits. You have wifi in the room. Be sure to visit and eat at the small restaurant and carpet shop just beneath the hotel. There is a great friendly man there. If you need anything, just ask Fatih in the front desk and he will help you get around.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank city56
Parma
Reviewed July 22, 2009

Quite, nice, oldish, with a flair of Ottoman civilization. Comfortable rooms. Hot water at leisure. And I'll never forget the breathtaking view when I went up to the terrace for breakfast: Hagia Sophia, Sultanahmet - for Euros and Anericans"the Blue Mosque", and the Marmara Sea, and the old city Walls. A very nice place to stay, , just what one needs to enjoy in total relaxation the incomparable beauty of Istanbul. The manager, Suleyman Karakus, is a bright young person with whom one can have very interesting conversations.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Armado
Bilbao
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Nice little hotel in one of the most touristic areas in Istanbul. Having breakfast with a view of the Aya Sofya and the Marmara is just wonderful.

Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nuriaBilbao
Virginia
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We are back again at the Hanedan Hotel. Perfect location and fair price. Our plane was four hours late from Malta due to turning back with serious generator problem. The driver sent by the Hanedan to meet our flight said "Four hours NO problem, eight hours, a problem!" We couldn't believe he was there waiting for us. Suleyman greeted me with a hug. All the staff are very friendly and lean over backwards to be helpful. We were so glad to be back in familiar territory. We love the Turkish breakfast on the roof and overlooking the Marmara Sea. There are good restaurants down the street. Rooms are small, beds are comfortable, all is clean, AC is nice this time of year and wifi is convenient. We will be back to the Hanedan again to enjoy this fascinating city.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alice+Angus
warks
Reviewed June 19, 2009

we found this hotel be in a fairly good location , but it can be quite noisey til about midnight as its surrounded by other bars, restaurants hotels etc. rooms were fine, basic but clean and we had a nice view of the sea but quite a long way up 3 flights of stairs. we found the cleaning man to be the friendliest person there, always smiling. hotel is quite near the four seasons hotel so about 6-8 mins walk from the blue mosque and hagia sofia, which was great

breakfast was fairly basic but ok, the usual turkish breakfast, the only thing missing was some cereal or normal tea. it was help yourself buffet and the bread was fresh most days, so it was adequate, but the young girl looking after the breakfast wasnt very helpful or friendly

we found the management ok, not overly friendly but not rude either, infact apart from saying hello and bye they didnt really speak to us , i have a feeling this was because we had been to istanbul before and were doing our own thing. we were celebrating our anniversary which they were aware of and despite my mother in law asking if they could put flowers or something in our room as a nice gesture they refused which i thought was a bit mean. we go to turkey up to 6 times a year and usually find the turkish people extra friendly and obliging but we didnt in this case

we had a good stay and for the price it was ok, the hotel was small, clean and in a good location, it has stunning views from the terrace of the bosphorus , hagia sofia and blue mosque

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank elliemeg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Istanbul
Hotel Peninsula
#309 of 1,150 in Istanbul
Premist Hotel
Premist Hotel
#42 of 1,150 in Istanbul

Been to Hanedan Hotel? Share your experiences!