“Faded decadence in the midst of a fast developing district” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel de Londres

Grand Hotel de Londres
Ranked #400 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
riberac
“Faded decadence in the midst of a fast developing district”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed for two nights recently after having spent the first part of our Istanbul stay across the bridge in Sultanahmet. The old pictures of this hotel show a Victorian style gardens opposite with a bandstand, all now swept away to make place for a monolithic size Darty electrical store. What a shame. Inside the hall and stairs with gilded banister rails and the bar and salon area all hark back to a more elegant time. One could almost imagine Agatha Christie walking in or Inspector Poirot seated at the bar. The bedroom we had was a good size and clean and comfortable. The district was lively and central to the most amazing restaurants so we were in the right area for being able to see some of the night life. The rooftop bar, a good place to chill out after a day spent on ones feet seeing the sights, has an amazing view of the Golden Horn.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front of the building if you don't want noise from the eateries in the side st...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank reposriberac
Mehmet H, Manager at Grand Hotel de Londres, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Grand Hotel de Londres for your stay in Istanbul.

Thank you for taking time to share your positive stay experience with us . I am very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Kind Regards,
Mehmet Hüzmeli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Bulgaria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

Every time,when visiting Istanbul, I stay in this hotel.I like very much its atmosfera.The place is great-near to famous Istiklal, and even Mata Hari stayed here.Hotel has historical value.Friendly staff.Nice view to Golden horn from roof bar and most of rooms.

Room Tip: Choose room with view to Golden Horn.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Suzen I
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the historical value of our hotel, staff and the view.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

I stayed here for two nights recently and it was awful. I will admit, the lobby is pretty excellent--red velvet curtains and faded wallpaper and talking parrots and chandeliers. But the room was overpriced and smelled like raw sewage. I had a balcony and paid 135 euro a night for this luxury--but there are discos right next door, and pounding music dance played until four in the morning. When I asked to be moved to another room, I was told "Look around you! There are dance clubs on all sides!! All rooms have that noise!!" I asked for a cheaper rate for the second night, because I had a lot of bags and it was too difficult to move for one night. I mentioned that a friend told me he had paid only 70E/night, that the room smelled of sewage, and that the noise was awful. No luck. So, I mentioned that the Hotel Marmara (a beautiful hotel down the street, where I stayed last time) was only 90E per night and could I get a comparable rate? The desk clerk said, "Marmara is only 15 years old!!!! This hotel is 125 years old!!!!' like that made any sense. The door had one flimsy lock on it, and the shower head was broken. There was nowhere to store valuables. My friend paid even more for her room and it reeked of cigarette smoke and sewage. I have traveled all over, and am okay with simple accommodations (stay at Marmara was a business trip....) but this was awful.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank whalwtab
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your stay experience with us.

I am sorry to learn you were disappointed with your stay on this occasion. Due to the central location, it can be quite noisy on Friday and Saturday evenings so please accept my apologies for the noise caused by the other bars and restaurants.

We have taken note of your comment and will ensure your feedback is shared among related departments and that required action is taken.

Apologies once more for the disturbances we occasioned and we look forward to having a second opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Best regards
Wellfleet, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

Grab a drink amid the late Ottoman elegance downstairs, but don't expect any of the warmer aspects of decay to follow you upstairs. Nevermind the peeling wallpaper, cramped space, smell of sewage, or leaky shower, we were awoken every single night at 4 in the morning by slamming doors--draw your own conclusions about who'd be coming in and out, and checking in and out at such an hour on a nightly basis. I caution anyone and everyone from spending the night here. The concierge was somewhat responsive to our complaints, but the few euros he took off the price hardly compensated for lost sleep and overall creepiness.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kleps
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to send your comments.

I want to apologise for any disturbance we may have occasioned. Please be assured that your valuable comments will allow us to focus on areas in need of improvement. We look forward to having a second opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Best Regards
Cape Town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel has plenty of fading grandeur, and is a nice place to stay. My wife and I stayed in a perfectly reasonable room for 70 euro's a night, and were more than happy. The hotel is a block away from Istiklal Cadessi, so is very convenient, and the Tunel and hence Sultan Ahmet are close.
Breakfast was OK, but not particularly great, and the neighbourhood is noisy (from people having fun), but we were staying there the week of Ramadan, so there were probably more parties than usual.
I understand other guests have fussed about the lack of air-con, which seems a bit unnecessary: the fan in the room works well, and mutes the noise.
The hotel has a grand view of the Golden Horn from it's top floor, and you can have a very peaceful drink or 2 watching water taxis go back and forth.
I thought this hotel was really a pretty good deal, and would be happy to return. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Overall, I found staying rather charming, and I would recommend it to others. At the price, I really think it's a good deal.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CapeTownCurtis
mhuzmeli, Manager at Grand Hotel de Londres, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Dear Guest,

We thank you for staying at Grand Hotel de Londres and your nice comments on Tripadvisor.

We are happy that you were pleased with our services. We hope to see you again. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further assistance.

Warmest regards,

Hotel Manager
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Dating to a similar period to the nearby Pera Palace, this hotel has avoided being updated into international-style blandness. Apparently rooms are being gradually renovated, but we stayed in the cheaper, untouched section. Some elements are truly a bit wonky (make sure your door has a lock), your minifridge may not work, there is no air-con (electric fans are available) and the bathrooms are miniscule, but adequate, yet the atmosphere of faded elegance makes up for any shortcomings. The roof-top terrace has great views and breezes! The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel is very well situated - close to Isticlal Caddesi, and a short walk to the top of the Tunel. I will certainly go back when next in Istanbul.

Room Tip: Front rooms appear to be the renovated ones, and have views.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
mhuzmeli, Manager at Grand Hotel de Londres, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your valuable comments.

Your constructive comments have been already shared with the team with the aim to improve our services.

As you said we gradually renovate the old rooms and your comments will help us target better all those aspects we need to improve during this process.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

I  have referred to Tripadvisor many times in selecting hotels but I am now having doubts about the reliability of reviews. I am amazed that any one can give this hotel anything other than a very bad review.

I checked in and then checked out again 10 minutes later.

Read the reviews that rate this hotel as "Terrible" they have it described accurately.

Beware!!