“Difficult Place To Review.”
Review of Tashkonak Hotel

Tashkonak Hotel
Ranked #90 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
Windermere, United Kingdom
“Difficult Place To Review.”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel has many +'s and several -'s.

The room we stayed in was small. The bathroom was however nice and spacious.

There was one small wardrobe which had a hanging bar from back to front, not width ways with only 5 coat hangers - insufficient for two people for one week.
There is a safe installed in the top of the wardrobe which was free to use.

Toiletries and bottled water was replenished when needed at no extra cost. No problems with supply of toilet paper - handy as you are charged to use public toilets and sometimes for the toilet paper as well so take a handfull with you when out and about.
Complimentary slippers await you on arrival.
A fridge and hairdryer is provided.
Airconditioning/heating incurr no extra charge.

The breakfast was one of the best I have experienced in Turkey.
The view of the Bosphorus from the rooftop terrace is quite stunning but the view of the Blue Mosque is stightly obscured by trees.
The hotel does not serve alcohol but provides free afternoon tea in the small garden at the rear of the hotel or in the lounge if the weather is not suitable.

Postcards may be purchased from reception but surprisingly stamps are not available nor is there a postbox for collection of cards.

There are mainly fish restaurants nearby which could work out rather expensive as you would probably be eating out every night. There are however a small number of cafe/restaurants to be found within a couple of minutes walking of the hotel but not many open all day so find out which ones open at lunch time at the start of your holiday.

There are two parts to this hotel establishment - the main hotel (where we stayed) and just around the corner a building housing suites.
I assume the majority of the professional photos linked to this hotel are of the suite part of the establishment and not the hotel part.

The main reason I have decided on the 3 rather than 4 rating is the mosque which was across a very narrow road. Whilst I appreciate the Mosque is a very important part of Turkish life, a little bit of though about which room was allocated to us would have improved our stay. If we had been placed at the back of the hotel and a Turkish family placed in our room I'm sure they would have appreciated the call to prayer more than us.

In summary, Taskonak is a small, friendly hotel ideal for exploring but very noisy during the call to prayer.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms at the front of the hotel to avoid the early morning'call to prayer'.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank tatilimiz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Nice hotel in sultanahmet. Close to the main tourist attractions. The only drawback of this location is that it is hard to find good (non tourist) restaurants. Nice view for breakfast. Overall it is a nice place to stay. The beds may be a little bit short if you are tall.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patata83
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Excellent experience, lovely staff, hotel is near all monumentals that one should visit when coming to Istanbul. Drinking coffee in the morning on top of the hotelwith sea view is priceless. .. Strongly recommended for tourists

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Tashanamala
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The location of the hotel is perfect for visiting all the Sultanahmet landmarks (Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia, Topkapi, Grand Bazaar, etc.). From Tashkonak you can reach the tram easily and it is also very close to the sea. Breakfast is served on the rooftop and it is delicious.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TexNex
Prangins, Switzerland
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Fantastic family owned botique hotel in Istanbul. Free wifi and breakfast was included in the price of the room. The service was friendly and attentive. They provided quality recommendations and advice. The breakfast was serviced on the roof top witha fantastic view of the water and blue mosque. The location is ideal and just steps from Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MindyH480
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I and my wife visited Istanbul in the early January 2013 and had a lot of good impressions from our trip! I have visited a lot of countries before but found such hotel as Tashkonak at the first time - it is really the most friendly, clean and well situated hotel in which I have ever stayed. Also I want to mention very tasty breakfasts from the terrace with a very picteresque view! Moreover we really become friends with one of the managers - Hayati, who always supports us and tries to explain the best way to explore Istanbul.

Thank you one more time for 5 wonderfull days in Istanbul!

We wish this hotel good luck and all the best!

Artem and Olga

Room Tip: We stayed in the room 311 and liked it really very much. I want to metion that there are kettle and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank artem_malinin
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel the weekend before Christmas (Fri - Mon). I'm a solo female traveler, on a budget with safety always being my 1st priority. I used the hotel's car transfer service for my airport arrival. They provided car service free 1 way for stays of 3 days or longer (not sure if that's standard or was a December special). My flight arrived 2 hours late & I was concerned that the driver may not be there since it's more of a small boutique hotel & it was pretty late but he was there with a sign waiting for me & was very nice.

Check in was very quick, the gentleman explained my room to me & made sure I was comfortable. Fantastic after a 13 hour flight. I found my heater wasn't working, he came & took a look, decided it couldn't be fixed immediately & moved me to the next room with no issue. He also apologized sincerely but he handled the issue so quick... I hadn't even unpacked & gotten settled so no apology was needed. Whenever I had a question someone at the front desk was very nice & knowledgeable.

Breakfast upstairs on the enclosed rooftop terrace was great. Again friendly service & the best scrambled eggs I've had in a long time. Great cold & hot selection with plenty of tea, coffee etc. The location was a short walk to the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia a small bazaar with cute merchandise & the tram. The area is compact & can be hard to figure out at 1st but once you walk around a few times you get the hang. Also, people on the street were more than kind the 1 time I got completely turned around close by the hotel. I felt safe walking around even with large dogs wandering the streets, they didn't seem to care about the people being in their space. The dogs are common in the area (around the sights) & not specific to the hotel. The rooms while simple were clean & comfy. They provided bottled water everyday & each room has a small fridge. I paid €65 per night for a single (which had a double bed).

Something I wish I had read on the reviews when I was researching: between 6-6:30AM every morning the call to prayer from Blue Mosque can be heard in your room... At least I could hear it on the 1st floor. It did not bother me, I found it beautiful & peaceful but it did scare the crap out of me the 1st morning. Also, I was already awake each morning when it started so I'm not sure if it wakes people up typically.

Must mention this as well as I like to give full disclosure reviews. Two of the three mornings/nights I stayed we lost power. The 1st morning I woke up at 6am to no power. Went back to sleep, woke up at 9, still nothing, they were still able to serve breakfast so I ate, came back around 10 & still no power. I figured I'd just shower & head out but it was too dark in the bathroom to really do a morning routine so I just slept until noon. When I woke up it was back on. It didn't irritate me much I was just surprised they didn't have a generator. At breakfast no other guests seemed irritated either. The next morning again no electric but only during sleeping hours. I happen to be a very early waker. I saw a review mention a close by fire that caused the outage but I'm not sure if that caused the issue both times. I didn't ask... I wasn't bothered enough to be concerned.

Overall great experience in a fantastic city, especially if you want something clean, simple, within walking distance, pocket friendly & safe... Essentially if you aren't looking for a resort or big name hotel it'll probably work for you. Oh & I saw a little of every type of traveler there: family, couple, solo etc.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo