Grand Cevahir Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #376 of 1,171 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed November 10, 2013

The grand cevahir hotel allthough it is a 5star hotel it dosn t meet your expectations for one.
the bed wasnt that clean and neither was bathroom.the breakfast was ok and the staff were freindly.
in my opinion it was like a good 4star.
location is good,the hotel is in sisli that is not far from taksim square and there are free shuttles from the hotel to taksim square nearly every hour.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank elahi_behzad

Reviewed November 8, 2013

So, the title of this hotel should really give it away in advance I suppose but I have to admit I was a little surprised by the quality of the place when I arrived. It's not too hard to get to from IST airport by taxi - if you arrive late at night. When you arrive at the hotel you instantly realize that it's quite a large "churn and burn" venue - very busy and full of international attendees for some association summit happening when I was there. Check-in was alright. My bags were carried to my room which I kind of expected not to happen.

The venue design is a little old - and in local style. It could do with a bit of an overhaul. The property is also (I hate to say it) a little grubby/dirty and needs a deep clean. My room was large enough but the carpet was a little discolored (I didn't take my socks off). I had to wipe down the TV remote (something I've never done) just because I felt I needed to.

The bathroom was well equipped but again - a little dirty. The edges of the bath were slightly moldy and the toilet smelled like it needed some bleach attention. The towels were thin and fraying/worn in parts.

I had to ask for an iron to be delivered to my room. I was worried when I found there wasn't one but happy they brought one up. Phew.

The bed was alright. I slept well.

The gym was one of the main redeeming features of the property. It is massive and well equipped. Loads of weights and machines. The pool looked good too but I didn't try it.

I ate in the lobby bar here a few times and have to say the food and service were very good. The chicken pesto salad was fantastic - I had it twice. It's a shame you can't order any sort of Turkish food here though - very strange. The main restaurant did serve Turkish food though and it was great. The Sultan Kebab was gorgeous. Service here was a little strange but one night I ate there I was the only person in the place (the night before it was full - reflecting the convention centre nature of this hotel).

Check out was alright - at 5am. I found it incredibly strange that they said that although my bill was to be settled in full by my company, they asked me to pay for the tips I'd made (and signed to my room) in cash "which is normal here". When I protested they backed down immediately. Very strange but maybe normal.

All in all not a memorable stay in any way - but by no means a bad one. I suppose it is reminiscent of the majority of hotels I've experienced in the USA.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Cevahir for a conference and I do not understand most of the negative comments. Let's start from the beginning:

1. Check-in was effective and fast and the gentleman at the reception spoke a good enough English
2. My room was large with a separate seating area with a sofa an coffee table and separate desk
3. TV channel selection was good and the WiFi connection stable and fast
4. Everything was as clean as it comes in a hotel (also bathroom and public areas)
5. Breakfast selection was good (except for the orange juice; guess that was concentrate or powder)
6. Very good price
7. At check-out I had a clerk who was even speaking German. He gave me the wrong invoice out of the printer, which I did not realise until I heard his message on my voicemail after arrival in Germany. He just wanted to make sure that I get the right one and after a call he is e-mailing it now. That is thoughtful service. Thank you Ahmed.

In deed you see not many Western foreigners there, but that is not necessarily a contra. And yes, the hotel is not in the touristic center. But if somebody wants to do sightseeing, he would probably simply look for other locations.

In general a good eperience witrh friendly and helpful staff. If I have business in this area of Istanbul, I will probably stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Benson1976
Reviewed November 6, 2013

the hotel is fine. relatively clean nice rooms. staff nice and helpful. breakfast good. dinners not so great. hotel is not close to areas I wanted to visit so had to deal with the horrible, dishonest cab drivers in turkey. rather expensive to have a drink at the bar and they measure a shot exactly! good for a conference if you are not planning to leave hotel but not so good for vacation travel. again, traffic into areas where you would visit is horrendous, rather dangerous as cab drivers drive like maniacs, no seatbelts ( they stuff them way down in the seats so you cannot reach them) and they will do anything to charge you outrageous prices for a ten minute drive. stay in a hotel where you do not need a cab!! if this hotel had a better location I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank thishotelsucks56
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed here during a visit to Istanbul for a conference I was speaking at. The conference was held at the hotel's convention center which made it very convenient. The hotel grounds are clean, it is very safe (there is security at the gate and inside the hotel), and at first it appeared clean in the rooms as well. However, the rooms smelled like smoke which took me about a day or two to get use to. The bathroom appeared clean until I noticed there were splats of blood in the bathroom in random places (the door way, the tile in the tub, above the toilet, and near the sink). I'm not sure how it went un-noticed for my entire stay. The people were nice but I didn't bother anyone to clean it up... I just dodged anywhere the blood was it... it was weird. The bathroom was not stocked with sufficient items like toilet paper or soap. The housekeepers did not stock any of it until I asked (I guess they don't have a check list when they service the rooms during the day). The water pressure was horrible and I felt like I took a shower with random spurts of water or heavy drips. The water tend to spray randomly out of the shower when I showered which lead to a very wet floor. The toilet had stains in it... which was gross.

All in all hey I didn't pay for this myself... the conference organizers did. However, I did see the bill which accounted to about $300+ USD... HECK NO ... It was NOT worth that much money at all.

I will say... I had room service a few times... that was fantastic!!!! Such amazing foods. The overall room was spacious and the windows opened and that was really neat.

I walked to a mall which was about 15 minute walk from the hotel. It was neat to walk through the alley ways where they sold fresh produce and had little stores. There was a two level Starbucks out front of the mall which was neat. People said there aren't places to eat near the hotel but there actually are a couple places especially near and inside the mall.

It was my first visit to Turkey and the hotel my no means ruined my experience... it is just not worth that it costs. At all... however, again, great service and people.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank justadude1986
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The front desk and security staff at this hotel were friendly, helpful, and professional. I was at the front desk just about every day during my stay booking sightseeing tours or changing money.

And the food at the Grand Cevahir is excellent. The breakfast buffet was quite impressive with cheeses and meats piled high, lots of interesting breakfast choices including pasta some mornings, terrific breakfast pastries, and fresh unusual juices such as peach and cherry. Additionally, I recommend that you eat dinner at the hotel restaurant at least one evening. The food is delicious and the wine selection is reasonably priced. My husband and I ate there twice enjoying iskender kebab (a famous dish in the Istanbul area), other types of kebab, and a seafood pasta dish. The wait staff was attentive and professional.

However, more thought needs to be given to the hotel room experience. The first night we were there (a Saturday) , we could hear some sort of celebration (a wedding reception?) which went on past midnight. The music was loud and got more and more animated as the evening went on. As we were so tired from traveling we fell asleep but woke up several times due to the music. In checking with colleagues also staying at the hotel, if you had a room facing the courtyard you heard the party. If your room didn't face the courtyard, it was quiet.

Another feature of the room we didn't like was the shower. It took us a couple days to learn that you have to have the stream of water as weak as you can tolerate. Otherwise the water goes all over the bathroom and there aren't any extra towels to mop up the water. So your bathroom is a soggy mess until it gets cleaned. And while we initially got 2 bars of soap (one for the shower and one for the sink), housekeeping took away the 2nd bar. We asked a couple times at the desk for more soap but only got it our 2nd last day there. I find it crazy that we paid ~$300 per night but it was tough to have 2 bars of soap for our room.

Other inconveniences were that the safe did not work according to the directions on it and the HVAC system didn't heat up our room on the first day. In fact it was quite cold so we just turned it off to heat up the room. The next day we called the front desk about these 2 issues and they sent up a staff member to help us. We got useful instructions on how to use the safe so that we were able to use it. And then when we got back to the room later in the day, the heat seemed to be working just fine. So that issue got resolved as well.

In all fairness, our room was spacious and comfortable. We also liked having a window to open for fresh air when desired. And we also liked having a gas station/convenience store across the street from the hotel. We went there several times to buy bottled water and snacks.

But as other reviewers have noted, this hotel is not at all convenient to tourist sites. Figure at least a half hour cab ride to tourist attractions and the Bosporus River (around 30 Turkish lira or $15 U.S.) And there are no easily walkable restaurants to go to for dinner.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the courtyard are quieter
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Macybear
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed at Grand Cevahir for three nights at the end of September, attending a conference arranged in the hotel. The driver that took us from the airport to the hotel asked if we were in Istanbul on vacation or in business. When we told him it was business, his comment was "Good for you, because your hotel is kind of in the middle of nowhere". And he was so right!
The staff at the reception was polite and friendly, and all the congress arrangements were excellent. The room was clean and spacious and the breakfast quite average for of hotel of this standard. I had sometimes problems with the wifi, but I suppose that a congress with 800 delegates frequently using their smartphones, tablets and laptops is a challenge for any network.
One peculiarity there is in the hotel procedures. A colleague wanted to mail some postcards, that already had stamps on. The reception took care of that, but collected a fee higher than the price of the stamp for each card.
An other peculiarity was, that when returning from breakfast on the day I was to leave my room was king of made ready for the next customer. Ok, I had my bags packed at that moment and was ready to check out, but what if I would have liked to take a small nap before going to the airport? Hopefully someone would have checked the room before the next customer arrived.
If ever returning to Istanbul on vacation I will definately choose a hoteil in Sultanameth - close to everyhting that I would like to see. Due to the heavy traffic it takes kind of ages to get from point A to point B by taxi in Istanbul, so why spend time travelling around when you can stay were the action is?

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business