“Great for meeting planners, less so for hotel guests” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Grand Cevahir Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #396 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Richmond, Virginia
“Great for meeting planners, less so for hotel guests”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

The front desk and security staff at this hotel were friendly, helpful, and professional. I was at the front desk just about every day during my stay booking sightseeing tours or changing money.

And the food at the Grand Cevahir is excellent. The breakfast buffet was quite impressive with cheeses and meats piled high, lots of interesting breakfast choices including pasta some mornings, terrific breakfast pastries, and fresh unusual juices such as peach and cherry. Additionally, I recommend that you eat dinner at the hotel restaurant at least one evening. The food is delicious and the wine selection is reasonably priced. My husband and I ate there twice enjoying iskender kebab (a famous dish in the Istanbul area), other types of kebab, and a seafood pasta dish. The wait staff was attentive and professional.

However, more thought needs to be given to the hotel room experience. The first night we were there (a Saturday) , we could hear some sort of celebration (a wedding reception?) which went on past midnight. The music was loud and got more and more animated as the evening went on. As we were so tired from traveling we fell asleep but woke up several times due to the music. In checking with colleagues also staying at the hotel, if you had a room facing the courtyard you heard the party. If your room didn't face the courtyard, it was quiet.

Another feature of the room we didn't like was the shower. It took us a couple days to learn that you have to have the stream of water as weak as you can tolerate. Otherwise the water goes all over the bathroom and there aren't any extra towels to mop up the water. So your bathroom is a soggy mess until it gets cleaned. And while we initially got 2 bars of soap (one for the shower and one for the sink), housekeeping took away the 2nd bar. We asked a couple times at the desk for more soap but only got it our 2nd last day there. I find it crazy that we paid ~$300 per night but it was tough to have 2 bars of soap for our room.

Other inconveniences were that the safe did not work according to the directions on it and the HVAC system didn't heat up our room on the first day. In fact it was quite cold so we just turned it off to heat up the room. The next day we called the front desk about these 2 issues and they sent up a staff member to help us. We got useful instructions on how to use the safe so that we were able to use it. And then when we got back to the room later in the day, the heat seemed to be working just fine. So that issue got resolved as well.

In all fairness, our room was spacious and comfortable. We also liked having a window to open for fresh air when desired. And we also liked having a gas station/convenience store across the street from the hotel. We went there several times to buy bottled water and snacks.

But as other reviewers have noted, this hotel is not at all convenient to tourist sites. Figure at least a half hour cab ride to tourist attractions and the Bosporus River (around 30 Turkish lira or $15 U.S.) And there are no easily walkable restaurants to go to for dinner.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the courtyard are quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Macybear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed at Grand Cevahir for three nights at the end of September, attending a conference arranged in the hotel. The driver that took us from the airport to the hotel asked if we were in Istanbul on vacation or in business. When we told him it was business, his comment was "Good for you, because your hotel is kind of in the middle of nowhere". And he was so right!
The staff at the reception was polite and friendly, and all the congress arrangements were excellent. The room was clean and spacious and the breakfast quite average for of hotel of this standard. I had sometimes problems with the wifi, but I suppose that a congress with 800 delegates frequently using their smartphones, tablets and laptops is a challenge for any network.
One peculiarity there is in the hotel procedures. A colleague wanted to mail some postcards, that already had stamps on. The reception took care of that, but collected a fee higher than the price of the stamp for each card.
An other peculiarity was, that when returning from breakfast on the day I was to leave my room was king of made ready for the next customer. Ok, I had my bags packed at that moment and was ready to check out, but what if I would have liked to take a small nap before going to the airport? Hopefully someone would have checked the room before the next customer arrived.
If ever returning to Istanbul on vacation I will definately choose a hoteil in Sultanameth - close to everyhting that I would like to see. Due to the heavy traffic it takes kind of ages to get from point A to point B by taxi in Istanbul, so why spend time travelling around when you can stay were the action is?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Snorkfroken
Iran
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed with my family in Mid September in this hotel. The free shuttles to shopping hubs are very helpful. The staff are very friendly and helpful. But, The entertainment and facilities are not that much fascinating for a family stat.
All in All, It is worth paying for that.!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RezaDanesh
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel is not close to the very center of Istanbul, but it was a business trip and we needed to be close to the 'Balizza' building, so we would have been satisfied with just the vicinity. Although my husband travels to Istanbul frequently and knows a lot about how the Turks manage their hotels, it was my first visit there and I was really impressed.
Upon arrival, you are fascinated by a really beautiful and spacious lobby. We were greeted by a very polite receptionist, whose English was pretty good, who took less than 2 minutes to check us in. While he was doing that, a porter had picked up our luggage and was already showing us the way.
The room was very nice and well-decorated in a luxurious style ( something you'd expect from a hotel of this rank!) There was carpet on the floor, which really makes you feel at home and gives an aura of warmth. Since it was December, it was just what we needed.
The bathroom was big and clean, equipped with all sorts of good quality toiletries and other necessity kits.
The dining area, including the choice of food and its taste, was more than we expected.
The only thing you might not like, which is not the hotel's fault, is that the traffic in Istanbul is so heavy, it will take the taxi driver about 30 minutes to take you to Taksim, although the hotel is only 3-4 km away.
All in all, it was a wonderful trip and, for me, an extremely good first impression of the city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kish Island, Iran
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I just arrived at this hotel last night (Aug 3 2013), and I am writing this review inside the the hotel using the free wifi connection of hotel room number 524! The internet is pretty fast and free in lobby and rooms. The breakfast is quiet good, the staff are all friendly, professional, helping and communicate in english. The roo. Is clean, larg enough, Lcd IPTV with too many channels. Safebix, free tea/cofee maker, clean bathroom with bath tube, ideal A/C, nice lobby and everything is much better than i expect due to the money I've payed for. The pool is clean and well designed but just not enough beds around it.
Location is good because it is far from the crowd in aksaray, taxsim, istighlal and etc... While you have easy access to downtown useing pilublic transfer near hotel plus the hotel offers free transfer to taxim.
Overally, its a nice place to stay in istanbul, i defenately recommend it and I'll come back again.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Emad_Ladonni
Ankara, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for business reasons as I was attending a conference within its convention center. With regard to business needs, it is almost perfect. Staff is quiet helpful, facilities are very nice that would respond to all sorts of needs. The rooms are okay, standard rooms that you would find at other places of same quality. I didn't pay for the hotel myself as it was covered by the meeting organization, yet if the numbers I saw at the lobby are correct, I can say it is overpriced. The breakfast is quiet good and wi-fi is free and connection is good at the rooms. If you are there for touristic reasons, you always have to use a taxi to go somewhere, as the location is not at a place where you can walk the distances. I would totally recommend this hotel for business purposes, but advise you look for other alternatives if you only come for touristic reasons.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JohnDoe049
Onur G, Front Office Manager at Grand Cevahir Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your recent experience in Grand Cevahir Hotel.

We are very pleased to read your comment about the breakfast,room and our staff. We are welcoming both leisure and business guests every year and would like to clarify that our hotel is not far away from the city center, Taksim square is only 3,8 km and Cevahir shopping mall and Sisli area only 1 km away from the hotel. We have also shuttle service from Hotel to Sisli and Taksim square between 9:00 am to 18:00 pm.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in our hotel in the near future and have the oppurtunity to make you happy during your whole stay.

Best Regards,
Onur Gulerci
Front Office Manager
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed here with my wife for 5 nights in late June, 2013 on a trip that combined business with a short vacation. I was very disappointed with the hotel. It's not that the facilities are bad, but for what you get it's VASTLY overpriced. In my case, it didn't matter since I wasn't paying for the room out of my pocket (and in any case, I had to stay there since the conference I was attending was being held at the Grand Cevahir). But for the price you pay it's not even close to what you'd get at a Hyatt or a Sheraton or a Radisson in the US. The room we were in reeked of smoke and you had to be an athlete to climb into the bathtub for a shower. The location is not at all convenient and you need a taxi to get anywhere worth going (unless you actually want to go shopping at the Grand Cevahir mall....). The only reason I'm not rating the place "terrible" is because they have a fabulous breakfast buffet (which was included with the room) and because the staff is generally nice and helpful. If you want a hotel in Istanbul I would suggest avoiding this place and finding something in the old city or in Taksim.

Room Tip: Get the "breakfast included" option if you can.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jay59inPgh
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to get in touch with us to share your recent experience in Grand Cevahir Hotel.

We greatly appreciate both positive and negative comments that made by our guests to achieve the highest quality standards. I would like to inform you that in congress and special periods, hotels have the higher prices in all over the world. Regarding to your comments about the room I will get in touch with the department heads immediately to analize your problems.

Best Regards,
Onur Gulerci
Front Office Manager

Travelers are raving about these Istanbul hotels