At 4 stars I expected a lot more. But redeeming features first...a very good breakfast, varied and in a good restaurant location on the top floor of the hotel with great views of the city. The hotel occupies a great central location next to Taksim Square with easy access to shops and transport links (and Istanbul has a great public transport system). I also found the desk staff to be generally helpful and polite.
However, on the negative side:
- the room was very small (if generally clean - though the bathroom needed a re-grouting with dark mould between many of the tiles).
- the mini-bar was never refilled throughout my stay - sure it's expensive but can be useful sometimes for water and snacks. When I asked about it being refilled the chap at the desk told me that the mini bar was too expensive anyway and it was better not to use it!
- the safe was too small to take a laptop (mine's a 15" Macbook so not too big). I ended up carrying it around everywhere with me - I asked in the lobby if there was a safe to store it but there wasn't - I was told I could leave it on the table behind the counter!
- the aircon would not provide cool air even when set on the cool setting, this is a seasonal setting rather than a fault with the aircon, perhaps a cost-saving measure. It was on 25C when I arrived and although Istanbul is cool in November/December as a north European I was too warm and would have liked the option of a cooler space.
AND worst of all...
The NOISE. The windows are single glazed and even when closed did little to shut out the noises of a metropolitan centre. Car horns, sirens, alarms, arguing people, and loud club music were a constant during the night especially in the wee hours. I slept very badly here and I can usually sleep through pretty much anything.
If the place was cheap then I might not have had any quibbles but expectations (at 4 stars) suggested otherwise....
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Cartoon Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cartoon Hotel Istanbul