Akgun Istanbul Hotel
Ranked #585 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Last week, I booked at this hotel via internet. The guest relations and overall staff were very kind, helpful and experienced well. The foods were delicious and the variety was enough. The rooms were decorated well and I liked the bathroom of my room which was very modern decorated.

Room Tip: While you are checking, you can find the guest relations ladies to solve any problem.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
yetkili, Director of Sales at Akgun Istanbul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for your all praises.Your praises make us happy.Hope to see you
Again in our hotel.
Yours faithfully.
Şevket Diri

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed there because my flight from Sarajevo was late and I had wait another flight. I didn't expect so nice hotel. The room is enough big with two beds, bathroom is modern and very clean.
Breakfast is very good with rich offer food and Turkish breakfast buffet is included. The staff is helpful and friendly. The hotel is near historical center.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
yetkili, Director of Sales at Akgun Istanbul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

thank you for your all praises.Your praises make us happy.Hope to see you
again in our hotel.
Yours faithfully.
Şevket Diri

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed here for free because I had an overnight connection on Turkish Airlines. I was expecting some fleabag hotel near the airport, but this was an upscale tourist hotel in a nice suburban neighborhood. A Turkish breakfast buffet was included, and for dinner I walked down the street to a real gem, a restaurant called "Kul Sofrasi," busy with locals and serving "delicious tastes from yesterday to today." An English speaking waiter helped me pick out tasty vegetarian soup and salad dishes and a pide (Turkish pizza) with homemade dough that was rolled before my eyes. All this for 20 dinars!
The room was well appointed with two single beds, internet access, and a nice view of mosques and minarets and an old city wall. The bathroom looked modern, but there's an issue with the plumbing. Some nasty brown stuff gushed out when I turned on the bathtub taps, but it cleared up after running for a while. Overall, a pleasant stay to break up a long flight. Turkish Airlines also offers free city tours with lunch, but you have to choose between the city tour and the hotel, you can't do both. Definitely check it out on their web site if you have a connection here. Americans, be aware that you will have to pay $20 for a 90 day tourist visa, even if you are only staying overnight but it's still a bargain.

Room Tip: My room on the fourth floor was quiet and had a nice view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank strangersblog
yetkili, Front Office Manager at Akgun Istanbul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

DEAR SIR,
Thank you very much for your reviews to us.Your good comments honored and made us very proud and happy.We are very sorry about the issue of plumbing.That day because of a maintenance.
Work, we had to stop the water circulation for ten minutes for this couse, when we started the water circulation again.İt coused a few things like this.Please for give us about this event.We will be honored and happy if you give us the chance to accomodate you here our hotel again and let us make your Istanbul trip joyful in the future.
Thank you.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I stayed there for one night from Turkish Airlines. Room was specious and clean, but bathroom was dirty and mold. Hotel staff was friendly and helped me with everything I needed. Only bad thing was the hot temperature in room, I didn't sleep all night. Breakfast was ok, but nothing special.
I could bring not more than 3 stars to this hotel by European standarts

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
yetkili, Director of Sales at Akgun Istanbul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Firstly, thanks for valuable comments.
We believe comments of each and every visitors of ours lead us to be better. So your comments are valuable for our hotel management.
It would be a pleasure for us, if we could have chance to welcome you, in future.

Regards.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Food not bad but beside this, other services are pretty missing. Many atraction in hotel closed.
Rooms are Cold as hell, but AC manage to get after 2-3 hours to make it normal.
Is not so spectacular as is supised to be, but looks they not really care. Only look for tips.

• Stayed: December 2012

Firstly, thanks for valuable comments.
We have also SPA center that we will advice you to visit, in future.
It would be pleasure for us, if we could find a chance to welcome you in future again.
Best regards.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed in may 2012 , and found that sites like expedia have mentioned them as 5 star ....its not true.
Pros.
1) free internet.
2) free breakfast ( which is average....and same stuff repeated daily)
3) close to most location from the city
Cons
1) AC were turned off in may , and they had asked to open windows since outside temperature is cooler...I was zapped to hear from a rated hotels by others, and I had infant in the room which I was concerned for safety. also for 2 days they would act and say oh we will send techinician to the room to check( as if we are fools to know that its central air.)
2) they charged for extra bed but no bed was provided for infant .
3) showers have slight mold, and are old and torned look. and room service was extremely poor.
4) hotel was dirty and carpets had dust.
6) not kid friendly ....or ADA accessable.
7) Staff and management speaks little or no english, hard to communicate.
8) they will never care for bad review and thats how they are.

Overall
Don't waste money staying here ( unless its free)
Had bad experience with expectation.

Room Tip: Tip: stay if it is free Tip:and if you plan to stay , come in cooler weather , management is noto...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
yetkili, Director of Sales at Akgun Istanbul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Praise makes us happy, criticism makes us better.
Your opinion is really important to us.
We do everyting possible to tailor what Akgün İstanbul Hotel offers to your personel needs and wishes.Thank you to shore your opinions and experinces with us.Your suggestions and wishes will help us make your next vacation here with us and utterly unforgettable.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

My flight to Istanbul was changed four times by Turkish Airlines so they put me up at the hotel. I was expecting something more from this hotel. The front desk people were not very friendly or helpful. I was given my room key without any offer to help me with my two large suitcases and large package.

The room smelled musty and smoky. I tried to put on the a.c. to clean out the room, but it did not work. I had to open the door to the balcony to clear the air. The carpet was worn and kind of dirty I was thankful for the slippers provided by the hotel. The room did have a t.v. and an electric pot to make coffee. The bathroom was not very clean, the glass shower door was covered with black dirt along the edge. The toilet seat did not quite fit which made using it a little awkward.

I went down to the front desk to ask if there was WiFi, the woman at the desk just handed me a piece of paper with a password on it, but did not even say a word. Not very friendly.

The dinner buffet was filled with lots of choices, however, being a vegetarian it was difficult to know what dishes were non-meat. There were no signs indicating if the pasta contained meat. I ended up having just salads with veggies. I tried asking the staff, but I could not find anyone who spoke English. Nevertheless, I did find the desserts to be very tasty.

The next morning I asked again at the front desk how to get to the ancient walls which I saw from my balcony, no one seemed to have a cue to what I was talking about. I finally figured it out myself, it was only a 5 minute walk around the corner.

All in all not a bad place to stay considering Turkish Airlines paid. However, the indifferent, unfriendly, and unprofessional staff made my stay uncomfortable. I surely would not stay in this hotel again. There are far nicer places with better staff and rooms.

Room Tip: ask to see the room first before you accept the keys.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Senta S

Your offers and opinions are very important to us.We are really soory about your opinion.
Next time, We want to host you better than before.
Hope to see you again.