“Thieves' Den”

Ranked #844 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
Kauniainen, Finland
“Thieves' Den”
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Staying for just one night, arriving late, leaving early, cheap and near to the airport - since the price was low indeed, I decided for this place. What I got was more or less what I expected - indeed no frills, surly service, worn everything, paper-thin walls, very modest breakfast across the rainy courtyard, where the roof was leaking, in the middle of the restaurant.

Except for the next-door couple which woke me up at 5 AM, I seemed to be the only client in the place. What I did not expect was that the porter, who stayed suspiciously long carrying my suitcase down (no lift), stole my new, expensive camera from the suitcase (also the battery adapter) - leaving just the empty camera bag. Found this out in another town, but will be back in Istanbul next week, with police.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank OnuVesa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed December 20, 2009

this was without and shred of doubt, the very very worst hotel i have ever had the misfortune to book into. notice i did not say stayed in. we arrived mid morning and had major reservations even as we viewed the outside. it was delapidated and run down. any way we thought, ok , it is just for one night. we left our bags and went inti the city to do some sightseeing. on returning to the "hotel" we saw the bathroom for the first time. ti describe it as filthy would an understatement. it got worse. on bulling back the bedspread, we were confronted by very visible stains on it. i wont go into detail about what these stains were. suffice to say they would pertain to a certain activity!!!!!!!
there were grease stains on the pillow cases, and the pillows themselves wre ripped with the filling falling out.
after much texting back to my daughter in Ireland, she booked us into the WOW airport hotel and we made a quick exit.
i really dont know where the booking companies got the photos of this hotel and i will be getting in contact with them to make them aware of this. maybe the hotel looked as good as the photos at one time, but it seems to have gone through a metamorphisis since then.

sorry to be so long winded but my advice to anyone considering staying there is to,
Stay Well Away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank culturevulture08

Travelers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

sydney
Reviewed May 30, 2009

i booked through expedia.com.The hotel sounded great & was close to the Istanbul Ataturk airport.On arrival the surprises started.(1) Its located on(and i mean ON) a freeway (2)No credit card facilities- cash only Euro or US$- I had neither.Eventually they accepted Turkish Lira(3) I had asked for a non smoking room-no such luck - it stank & it looked & smelled as though it hadn't been cleaned for days(4) neither the Air conditioner or the TV worked(5) My request for another room was met with a shrug of the shoulders-We're full- even though the place was deserted with many other rooms empty and their doors wide open(6)no restaurant -breakfast was a trek to the hotel next door(7) my request for a receipt was flatly refused.One of my worst hotel experiences

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank philchristo
Berkeley, California
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Expedia posted this as "2.64 km" from the airport - our reason for choosing it - and booked 2 adults for a reasonable 55 Euro. In fact it was by the hotel's own admission "5-6 km" and probably more - and they claimed my booking (via Allstar) was only for one person, threatening to cancel and then demanding another 20 Euros ... plus 20 Euros for their shuttle to the airport when the taxi ride was less than 20 Lira, ie about 9 Euros. Situation is on a 10-lane highway with only a 2-foot pavement to walk on. Rugs in the lobby were stained black, and the room had not been properly cleaned or maintained: dirty towel and discarded shampoo bottle, white construction dust on mouldings, lamp broken, bath/shower surface crumbled away, bathroom door so warped it would not shut. We had to ask for a remote to work the air-conditioning and we were warned to switch it off at night as "one guest got sick" from it. The double bed was covered with 3 single sheets that did not cover the sleeping surface properly. No lift, no guest computer, no change to tip the helpful "bell boy" who struggled to do everything himself. Wake-up call and shower pressure/temperature worked fine, but otherwise an unpleasant experience, not convenient for the airport, and badly misreprented by Expedia.

• Liked — bell boy
  • Disliked — maintenance
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank AlbertIine
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Absolutely, hands down, the worse 'hotel' I have ever stayed in. Booked to stay here for the one night as my flight landed late and I wanted somewhere near the airport. Wish I hadn't have bothered now.

The hotel looks a complete mess from the outside. Upon arrival, the inside it just as bad. Was greeted by a receptionist, who seemed pleasant enough. He spoke enough English. While checking in, all the electricity just suddenly went. In total darkness. The workers didn't seem to be bothered and acted like it was an everyday occurance. It happened again 5 minutes later.

Once all that was sorted, we (my girlfriend and I) proceeded to follow the bell-hop upstairs - there was no lift - only for them to tell my girlfriend (in a rather abrupt manner) that she couldn't come up to my room. I had only booked a single room for myself as she lives in IST, but they simply refused to let her up, even for 5 minutes. She managed to persuade them to allow her up. After 2 minutes of being in the room, they were hassling my gf to return downstairs and gave me some incorrect excuse for her being there. I have stayed in many hotels in IST and have never had a problem with having her in my room for a period of time. You are allowed hotel guests, but they just refused her.

The room was truly awful! Every single thing about the room was disgusting - not to mention the rather large, and obvious, stain on the duvet cover. The bathroom was disgusting!

I was hungry so went downstairs to see if there was a snack machine. There was not. I ventured into the empty restaurant with the guy from reception and we talked to the restaurant manager. To be safe, I thought I'd ask for some fries. When I asked, the restaurant manager simply said 'Oh, no.. don't have those - they are very bad' - and that was enough for me. I went to be bed hungry.

Never stay here - ever. I think they have a sister hotel, The Sevcan, which is located nearby. I've not been here but I would imagine this is on the same scale. Avoid all around.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank ASO82
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed January 24, 2008

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for the night before we flew back to the United States. The only reason we chose it was that it was close to the airport and inexpensive. Having stayed there, those are the only reasons I would choose it again, and I would do that if I had an early flight. The rooms are small and cramped, the bathroom is the same, the room air conditioner either is on or off with no temperature regulation. The hotel has a swimming pool, but we did not use it because we arrived late and left early. The room price included breakfast, but we had to leave before breakfast was served. The hotel staff prepared sandwiches for us as a replacement for the breakfast. There is no elevator, but the hotel staff will carry your bags to and from your room. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The manager/owner studied in the US and speaks excellent English. The hotel is close to the airport, which means it also is far from everything a tourist would want to see. However, traffic between the old city and the airport is usually heavy during the day and virtually always very slow at rush hours. If you need to get to the airport early or during morning rush hour, you should consider this hotel for a one-night stay. Otherwise, it has nothing to recommend it.

• Liked — Proximity to airport
  • Disliked — Cramped room with no place to put anything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GranPaladino
Arlington, VA
Reviewed September 12, 2007

After a long journey back to Istanbul the night before a flight back home, I booked this place because it was on Expedia and close to the airport. When I told the cab driver to take me there he gave me a strange look and asked why I was staying there? It turned out to be a pretty run down place - there was one fluorescent lamp lighting the lobby, no elevator (had to lug my bags up 2 flights of stairs), TV was out (renovations), and I couldn't even control the AC (believe it or not they only had one remote control for all the AC units in the whole hotel). The only redeeming value was that the staff was very helpful and friendly (as was often the case in Turkey)- they helped get my bags up those stairs, and when I was leaving early for a flight the next day they had a friendly knock on the door and made a sandwich for me since it was too early for breakfast.

My suggestion though: if you are looking for an airport hotel in Istanbul, go with a known quantity rather than this place.

Stayed September 2007