“Nice, smart hotel in the center of the old city”
Review of Hotel Ilkay

Hotel Ilkay
Ranked #86 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
Budapest, Hungary
“Nice, smart hotel in the center of the old city”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed for five nights with my Girlfriend this February.
The rooms were clean and staff were Friendly and helpful. Walking distance from Hagia Sophia Blue Mosque, spice market as well as ferries and tram station
A special mention too for the hotel bar Red River. it was great place to stop for a quick drink and a bite to eat, or something more substantial in the evening.
so we will come back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kovacs p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The hotel is spotless clean. There is mineral water in each room which is replaced daily, also hot water pot and tea bags. Each room has a safety box at no extra price (some hotels charge for this). There is an elevator (not all hotels have one). The staff speaks English and Spanish (Ugur does who is in the afternoon shift) and are always willing to give you information, good tips or help you out. They are really very accommodating. When I came back to Istanbul I chose this hotel so I hope you try it too :)

Room Tip: I stayed in different room sin my long stay and they were all good.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank LorenciaR
My dear guest;

Thank you for your sincere review about Ilkay Hotel & Red River Pub. We are really grateful to you. It has been our utmost goal to make our guests happy and it will always be.

Please note that we are your second family here in Istanbul and if you need anything from Istanbul, do not hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to hear back from you and to see you here.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel is small but it is very well located at walking distance from St Sofia, the blue mosque and the sea. The tramway passes in front of the hotel. The personel is extremely friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast is very good. The rooms are small but clean and fonctional. The restaurant bar adjacent to the hotel offers excellent food at good price. I ate there every night.
I do not know any other hotel in Istanbul but I would not search for any other hotel during my next visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Luc R

Thank you very much.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2013

It's your lucky day - said the manager on duty when I arrived at the Ilkay Hotel weary from a long flight from Bangkok. My heart dropped as he explained that I had been 'upgraded' to a room at a sister hotel a few yards away, the Orient Express. Hmmm, I thought; here we go to cockroach city.
In fact, he took me to a pleasant-looking hotel down the street where I had a great room and a very comfortable stay. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly.
So, I'm giving Mr Ramazan Ovali at the Ilkay five stars for the very informative and polite emails he sent me before I arrived, and for my room at the Orient Express. The Ilkay looked absolutely fine, by the way, and I have booked another room there for my return trip next week.

Room Tip: Can't rate the rooms as I stayed at the Orient Express.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
My dear guest;

Thank you for your sincere review about Ilkay Hotel. We are really grateful to you. It has been our utmost goal to make our guests happy and it will always be. We never let anyone go upset in our properties.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I can be picky, but no room complaints here. Very clean room and bathroom, and a really great hot shower!

The two bottles of water supplied in the room are just refilled/unsealed glass bottles and are labeled for use with tea/coffee (kindly supplied), too heavy and not really suitable to take out trekking. But this is not a problem since bottled water is cheap in Istanbul. ½ TL per bottle at the shop directly across from the hotel, so grab some on the way out exploring.

I was traveling alone with only carryon bags, so I took the rail/tram combination from IST to hotel (6TL total) on a Saturday late afternoon. I won't do that again! I cannot describe how packed the tram was, yet people kept pushing in at every stop. I've read the usual warnings of pickpockets on the tram, but really, if someone lifts your wallet, you would probably thank them for creating the additional space.

The hotel is located between two T-1 tram stops, Gulhane and Sirkeci. While Sirkeci might be a little closer, the slightly downhill walk from Gulhane is easier and with fewer intersections to cross.

This is a very busy tourist area along the tram line and a great area for shops, food options and atmosphere. To the south is the Spice Market, an easy downhill walk. Uphill to the north is the main historical area containing the Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia. While it can be walked, some may choose to take the tram going uphill, walking downhill on the return.

If you are bothered by noise when you sleep, ask for a room away from the street. My room was above the street from the 3rd floor (4th floor for us yanks), and this is the first time I ever had a problem with street noise. The nearly continuous bells and horn from the trams, combined with loud crowd noises was just a little too much.

But a great enclosed hot shower!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jim A
My dear guest;

Thank you for your sincere review about Ilkay Hotel. We are really grateful to you. It has been our utmost goal to make our guests happy and it will always be. However, I would like to apologize that we were not able to fully satisfy you. Soon, in order to prevent noise problems, we will take precautions at our building. Paying too much attention to all feedback coming from our guests, we will redesign our structure to give the best service possible.

Forgive us.

Sincerely
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

i have stayed at this hotel in 2008/9/10/13 and cannot find a single fault with the staff or with the hotel in general. the rooms are cleaned on a daily basis to a high standard. the buffet breakfast is always fresh , the receptionists, fatih, sadat, and ugur are very helpful and are bi lingual. in english french and spanish. the bar RED RIVER is a brilliant place to unwind and have a wide selection of alcoholic beverages as well as tea and coffee , and has an excepional menu if you are a little peckish. if you are looking for a hotel in istanbul and just want somewhere to rest your head and get a shower after a long day exploring the delights of istanbul, then this is the hotel i would recommend to all. without any hesitations at all.

Room Tip: i cannot say to choose any particular room, as they are all good and during my times here i have bee...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank TIMOTHY R

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Ilkay hotel is nothing special. It is a average three star hotel. Not special or memorable. But I would not hesitate recommending it to all budget travelers hence it is placed near tramp and the major sites. It is clean, the wifi works excellence, you feel safe and the room is clean. All important things!
Only downside is the toilet flush - very noisy and did not work well in our room and the breakfast is plain and uninteresting but as to expect for this kind of budget hotel...
Thank you Ilkay - perhaps I will see you again.

Stayed October 2013
4 Thank maria b
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Hotel Ilkay, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear maria b;

Thank you for your kind review about our hotel. We are happy to read and hear that you had mostly pleasant stay with us. In our opinion, such feedback are the great motivation to our employees to work with desire and passion.

Furthermore, I am sorry for the problems. We are going to solve all of technical problems.

Nice to meet you and hope to see you again.

Faruk Boyaci, the owner of Ilkay Hotel