“Reasonably Priced”

Ranked #103 of 1,140 Hotels in Istanbul
Muscat, Oman
“Reasonably Priced”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The main reason for choosing this hotel was its price and apparent cleanliness. All the similar hotels were much higher priced. I stayed there for 3 nights at the start of my trip and then a further night right at the end. The first three night, we stayed in a room on the backside of the hotel. Some construction was going on which did create some noise but not much. Atleast, didn't disturb our sleep but did affect the view. The room and the hotel was clean and served a reasonable breakfast. Its a 10-15 mins walk to Sultan Ahmet and one Tram stop away. But me and my wife liked staying at Sirkeci more than Sultan Ahmet. There are shops & restuarants all around.

They did provide English Tea (Liption Teabags) generously when ever we asked and even provided milk from their Bar. The staff in general was very helpful and friendly. Mr. Ramazan emailed me complete list of hotels and attractions in the area as soon as I booked online. He also helped me plan my overall Turkey Trip.

Upon our return for the final night at the hotel (on our last day in Turkey), we got a family room on the front side. It was a very good room. If only we had it from the start :)

Would stay at the hotel again (if they give me a room on the front side).

P.S. they provide a free pickup from the Airport if you stay 3 nights.

2 Thank Zubair R
boyaci, Owner at Hotel Ilkay, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Zubair;

Thank you very much for choosing us and your candid review about our hotel. We are happy to know you had a pleasant stay at our hotel.

If you ever plan to come to Istanbul again, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Faruk Boyaci, the owner of Ilkay Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I enjoyed myself in this Hotel. It is right in the centre of the "Old City" and was clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. It is not a luxury Hotel and its prices are reasonable particularly if you opt for the cash offering rather than paying by Credit Card. My stay was in April 2013 and the weather was just great too. Do be aware that if your room fronts onto the Main Street that it is a busting thoroughfair and the Tram bell rings quite frequently. The water from taps is not potable so you have to buy drinking water from nearby shops which is very cheap. I really enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: The usual rules apply (I) not near lift , not over kitchen , not facing front street etc
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Tony D
My dear guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing us and your candid review about our hotel. It is really nice to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

If you have any plans in the future, or need anything from Istanbul, please let us know.

Warm Regards
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Staying in this hotel in period 26.04-30.04.13 with family.
This is classic three star hotel with great location ,just a few hundred meters from main Istanbul attractions.Hotel bar '' Red River '' good ambient,lot's of drinks included cold Efes beer,with a nice food.Reasonable prices,more then ok,
Hotel room's clean and big enough for three adult persons.Breakfast is standard but very well.Staff ,very nice and always at your service.
Regarding me and my family hotel deserve our full recommendation

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Thsagency
My dear guest;

I am Faruk Boyaci, the owner of Ilkay Hotel. I would like to thank you for you candid review and we are happy to hear you have enjoyed your stay. I really appreciate.

If I may be of any assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Darmstadt, Germany
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was my first trip to Istanbul and I decided to go with a friend who has been there before. We went on a package and he choose this hotel as he felt it was convenient for all the main sights. And so it was! It was an excellent price for a hotel which is about a block away from the park surrounding the Topikapi Palace, as well as the Sublime Porte. We walked to most sights in Sultanahmet, and even the bridge to across the Golden Horn was not far. The hotel is part of a chain which also includes some restaurants. The bar on this hotel also offers good meals at very good prices. On indication from the staff we tried another of their restaurants less than 100 meters away and there I had one of the best dishes I ever had on holiday: Sultan's Favourite (cubes of meat cooked with apricot and almonds and on an aubergine puree).
We had a room at the back, which should be quieter but the works of the train tunnel across the Bosphorus has one of its main areas just behind the hotel and they work 24 hours 7 days a week. We decided not to change the room as the view was so unique (we could see parts of the Topikapi as well as the top of the Galata Tower) and the noise did not seem much (woke me up a few times during the night but nothing that stopped me from going back to sleep). However I am sure that if we had asked for another room the staff would have done their best to arrange it for us.
The room needs some refurbishment, and there are signs of wear and tear, but it was super clean and all worked well.
Breakfast was good and varied.
Lift was a bit small though and the way to the back building could be a pain with luggage. Also the hotel lacks a terrace (a feature common to many cafes and hotels in that area).
All in all, the location, the staff, and the price were perfect for a first visit to amazing Constantinople

Room Tip: The street is quite busy and trams run often late into the night. If you want a quieter room, ask fo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sjpo
My dear guest;

Thank you very much for you candid review. I really enjoyed the way you described us. It is a pleasure to meet and host you. We are happy you had a pleasant stay at our hotel.

Consider yourself part of our family and if you plan to come to Istanbul, we will be happy to see you again.

Warm Regards
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I’ve been in Ilkay hotel this April 2013. Just perfect. From the very beginning since online booking I’ve been contacted by hotel crew and Mr. Ramazan Ovali and offered any kind of assistance.

First of all hotel location is perfect, on walking distance to main city sightseeing and just next to tramp line offering you fast connection to any other attractive location. Hotel area is safe and friendly, with restaurants, cafes and souvenir shops. Recently traffic in this historical part of city is restricted only to the tramp, cabs and touristic buses and this area become very pleasant to runaway from city rush.

Room, two bed, was very adequate for city staying, not big but very clean, with great room service. Period in April was with cold nights and mornings and daily temperature of 16-18 C degrees, but hotel switch on heating system anytime on quest request.

Breakfast also was with very decent and rich buffet offer, with no difference are you going to eat at 7am or 10am. Hotel staff keep breakfast area clean all the time.

In general, hotel Ilkay was a great choice as bed&breakfast accommodation for 5 days staying in Istanbul.

Special thanks to Ramazan and his team make us feel like we are home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Adem M
Dear Adem;

I am Faruk Boyaci, the owner of Ilkay Hotel. I would like to thank you for your candid review about our hotel. I have really enjoyed reading your review and shared your comments with everyone at the hotel. I appreciate it.

If you plan to come back again, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Ilkay for five nights during an Easter holiday trip. The hotel is well-managed, clean, friendly and well-located near major attractions and the harbour. The breakfast buffet is basic, but sufficient. Our room was small and basic, but with a/c, TV, a safe and a renovated bathroom. Our window was on the street, so even on the fifth floor it was quite noisy. Our major quibble, however, was the bed, which was quite hard as well as short. Added to the noise, this made for fitful sleep.

1 Thank Trndrb
My dear guest,

Thank you very much for your sincere review about Ilkay Hotel. Not entirely but we are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are sorry for the noise problem. We are also sorry for not realizing your problem. If you ever plan to come back to stay with us again, I will take this opportunity to make it up to you.

If I may be of any assistance to you, do not hesitate to contact us.

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Ilkay hotel is a good choice if you want a good balance between price and quality. There an old and a new part in the hotel. We've stayed in the old part of the hotel. I assume that the new part of the hotel is more expensive.
We've booked a room with a twin bed. There was a tv, a bathroom with shower and toilet. The bed was good.
The Ilkay is situated in a busy road were the tram (T1) passes frequently. Al major touristic sites are walking distance. With the T1 line you can get everywhere.
The breakfast is ok, not waauw. The staff is very helpfull and friendly.
Beneath the hotel is also a bar. Nice for a late evening drink.

2 Thank bdepauw
My dear guest;

Thank you very much for your candid review. We really appreciate it. We are happy to know that you have enjoyed your Istanbul trip.

If you ever plan to come Istanbul again, let us know in case you need help.

Hope to see you again.