“Great hotel with amazing staff!”
Review of Erboy Hotel

Erboy Hotel
Ranked #70 of 1,178 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed June 11, 2013

On our first visit to Istanbul, we decided to stay in the Sultanahmet area (Old City) and decided to go with Erboy Hotel and it was a great decision to do so.

The hotel is not a luxury hotel (it actually was top voted as a bargain hotel) - but comes with almost all that you would require in your trip of sight seeing and dining.

Rooms:
Firstly, the hotel rooms are extremely cozy and comfortable. Carpeted, temperature controlled and if you would like to hear the sights and sounds of the neighbourhood, just pop open the window and you can let the gentle breeze in with the chit-chatting of people.

If you like your quiet, close the windows and no noise trickles in.

The bathrooms are adequate and have hot water throughout the day. The water pressure is great and soaking yourself in a hot, pressured shower after a day of walking is the best way to relax.

They have in room tea and coffee makers and the wifi is also good.
Safe was useful as I did not have to carry my notebook and stuff around and though we never tried it, they had a decent amount of room service options.

The Staff:
The staff in this hotel were super nice and friendly from the minute we stepped foot in. Always smiling and ready to help.
Ayse (if I remember her name correctly) - the guest relationship manager, welcomed us with chilled Apple teas and ran us through the area and patiently answered all the questions that we had regarding our itinerary.

She also informed us about the various scams around the place and things to be careful about and never for once tried to sell us anything.

Breakfast:
We had complimentary breakfast included which was quite a spread.
I am vegetarian and they had plenty of options to keep me happy. Though probably not one of the best breakfasts that I have had, it is quite a spread and something for everyone.

Location:
Finally, the single most important reason to book this place if you are sight seeing in Istanbul.
This hotel has a fabulous location. We were able to do everything in Sultanahmet without having to ever get a taxi, cab or even take the metro.

The metro station is less than 2 mins on foot (and far enough that you never hear it).
We did the Hagiya Sophia, Blue Mosque, Basilica Cistern, Bosphorus Cruise, Mosaic Museum, Arasta Bazaar, lunch / dinner at a great new place everyday, the Hafiz Mustafa 1864, The Topkapi Palace, Archaeological Museums, Gulhane park - over three days - and only on foot.

Thats how awesomely this hotel is located.
And you cannot beat the price (approx EUR 85 / night when we booked) for all that this place has to offer.

Room Tip: Ask them for a room away from the main road and on the ground floor as that will be quieter and easi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mod8
Write a ReviewReviews (2,278)

Reviewed June 9, 2013

It was a very good hotel Value for price. Location wise also very close to the Historical Places and lots of restaurant are there. The fornt office always gives all the information about the area. Room was super clean and My wife was happy with their Baby cot arrangement. They give us a free breakfast as we reach little early. There was plantly of choice in breakfast.Only issue was their local tour pertner. Which was little disappointed as they have changed lot of there schedule and the lunch they had provided was realy bad. So my suggestion they need to talk with thrie tour pertner or need to replace them by some reputed on.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at Erboy for two nights and absolutely loved it. We previously stayed at the Ambassador Hotel near Aya Sofia, and this was hands down much better. Our room on the 2nd floor was spacious, full of sunshine, comfortable, and incredible value for money.

The breakfast buffet is the best breakfast spread I've ever had! the cheeses and meats selection is wonderful and the breakfast area overlooks the street on two sides, so lovely. The location is unbeatable and the staff incredibly courteous and friendly.

Room Tip: Second Floor Rm 1203 is a corner room, double windows, quiet, large, and sunny.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank batoolis
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I have seen all marks and rates before I've booked this hotel, and I was so fascinated, that I couldnt wait to arrive there. And then we came...

It's really very hard to rate this hotel. I can not say that it's bad, because it's not, but it's definitely not brilliant, gorgeous etc. Realistic mark - it's ok, Average hotel, which is not extra cheap, clean, but nothing special. We have stayed there 6 days.

This is my second year in Istanbul, we have been last year also, in other hotel street behind (it's not appropriate to write a name here, that hotel was full this year, and we couldnt book it) with same rank, 3*. Location is great, that true, all hotels in Sultanahmet have great location, everything is nearby. Price we paid last year was almost the same (20 eur cheaper), and if I compare now, that hotel was much, much better for us.

Biggest problem for me, and the biggest disappointment was breakfast and so called "balkon on the top". I mean, there is almost nothing. "gorgeous terrace on the roof" is just small terrace with few tables, view is ok, roofs, roofs and a bit of seaside. It's not possible to have a breakfast there, but it's also not possible to have a dinner there, because it does not belong to the restaurant. It's open from 7 p.m. just for a short drink. I was reading so much about that balkon, that I thought I wont go from there all 6 days. But nothing, we took a beer once, and that was everything.

Breakfast: other disappointment. 1 st of all it is strongly forbidden to sit outside during breakfast!!!!!??? I really, really do not understand, and as I could see other people were also irritated by that rule. There are few tables just behind the glass door. We just came back, so it's was end of may (beggining of june), outside temp. was 25°C in the morning, i really didnt want to sit inside (as I mentioned last year we were in other hotel which had small garden to sit in the morning). All other hotels in the same street are allowing breakfast outside. For me, really huge minus, as i was looking extra for that during booking. Inside, there are 2 breakfast rooms, in one (where the breakfast is served) is almost impossible to sit, because of odors from the kitchen, and temperatur, as there was really hot.
other room is ok, it belongs to restaurant Pasazade reastaurant, but, during summer it really more appropriate to sit outside.

Breakfast itself: 2nd thing which I could not understand. I like to eat everything, and I can eat everything. Fruit selection for the breakfast.....almost nothing. mostly apples, oranges. As we have been there 6 days, we had enough time to see the whole selection. And of may, beggining of june is high season for almost all kind of fruits (one more plus for our hotel last year, we have had cherries, peaches, watermelon, melon etc ), and this time we hade mostly apples, one day watermelon (which was really bad) and that's all.
Turkey is a country of pastry. For breakfast we have just seen 3 different types. (small onces)...(one more + for our hotel last year). Other things were tipical for hotel breakfast, choice was not so huge, and definitely not "perfect, great, incredibly, etc"....

Room: Our room was ok, simple, 3 single bed room, small rooms are std in Turkey (and old city), as well as noise, for us it is not negative experience and was not surprise, so i dont want to mark that as - for hotel.

Our bathroom was very small, and bathtub was really high, that was a bit uncomfortable. So nothing special, I can not say it's worth of money, its ok.

The staff is very polite, we didnt have any problem with our airport transfer, check in, or any other inconvenience, they where always happy and ready to help us (but thats my experience in Istanbul as well). Hotel menager is great, and it was very easy to comunicate with her.
A bit annoying was cleaning and vacuuming of the lobby while people are sitting there (vacuuming around the legs), but thats really not the reason for not perfect evaluation.

As i said, probably i would not book the same hotel next year. I know there are lot great marks here for this hotel, I've tried to write a realistic one.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank marija s
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed here on recommendation of Tripadvisor and sure not what I bargained for. Staff were polite and room was clean but I've stayed in quieter College Dorms. The problem may have been with the 5th floor room and the location of the room on the floor. Banging and loud noise from the Bar on the 6th floor was very annoying. Slamming of doors and coming and going in hallway was far too prevalent and the "bing bong" notification of the elevators arrival on the floor was very clearly heard in the room. Why on earth is this necessary every time the elevator door opens? Very disturbing at all hours of the day and night. Breakfast was dismal. Never again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, don't stay on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank gwpyvr1
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights. Very comfortable and clean bedroom. Staff extremely helpful. Breakfast was good, made even better by a whole honeycomb that you could slice chunks from, delicious! Excellent location, would def stay again and recommend to friends and family.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed here with friends and family for 3 nights

The rooms are nothing to write home about but you get what you pay for

However, they are very clean and we had no complaints or issues

What makes this hotel is the front of house staff, they will bend over backwards to make sure you have what you want, I cannot praise them enough.

The location is also very good

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family