“Excellent Stay”
Review of Metropol Hotel

Metropol Hotel
Ranked #868 of 1,160 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Zooming in on the Metropol or the Viva Deluxe Hotel was one of the best things I did before landing up in Istanbul for a week with my family. Everything was just right - from the location of the hotel, to the friendliness of the staff , to the huge breakfast which helped us to start off the day. There are quite a number of purse friendly restaurants nearby and the hotel staff also offered to get us takeaway. With my 11 year old daughter, I had to ensure we didn't have to walk too much. The hotel was just a ten minute walk from the Aya Sofia, Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Sultan Ahmet Square and many other museums. The day we left, we got late for the airport, the reception staff suggested doing our online check in, which they did at very short notice. Despite the fact that it was so very cold in Istanbul, the rooms were very warm and comfortable. They were cleaned every day, and everything was just right. The next time I am in Istanbul, The Metropol or Viva Deluxe will be my choice..

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank choi99

Reviewed November 12, 2013

From the moment we got there, the staff made us feel at home. I got there very early in the morning and my friends later that morning (our transfers booked via the hotel ready and waiting for us when we came out at arrivals) and they took care of me with offers of tea's & coffee's until I could check in. Our room was as described and very ample for our weekend stay. Very clean and tidy hotel. Breakfast was a little strange (more like a lunchtime buffet) but lots of it and very tasty. The coffee did not disappoint either! All the staff were very friendly, helpful and kind and we would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone visiting lovely Istanbul!

Room Tip: We were on the 1st floor on the front side of the hotel and had no issues with noise unless the wind...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christine N
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was original booked at the sister hotel 'Old City Viva Hotel'. Upon my arrival I was told they were over booked,so transferred us to 'Metropol Hotel'. Which I must say was a blessing in disguise. It looked nicer than the one I was suppose to stay in. I was little concerned as I didn't want to be charged twice as my original booking was a non-refundable. The staff assured me as it was not going to happen. The Hotel Manager Halil was extremely helpful and so were the other staff. Sadrettin Akkoyun at the front desk was very eager to help with no question asked. Even though he didn't speak English very well,made every effort to do so! To be honest it is no frill lodging... More so liked glorified Motel 6.But don't be fooled by the looks of it. Anyways, when your in a city like Istanbul with such rich history and culture.. Your not going to spend time in the hotel but only to sleep and shower. For those reasons it is perfect. clean and comfy. ( beds might be hard for some) It was quite adequate for 5 nights for me and family. There is construction noise at times near by loud enough to hear and of course call to pray early hours. Then again it is a predominantly a Muslim country so one has to make some adjustments to those kind of things.

1. It is in an excellent location .. You can walk pretty much to all the main attractions.

2. If the breakfast is included, it is quite nice. Menu is limited but they do change every other day. There is no other dinning options at the hotel but there are number of restaurants available for your palate including McD's and Burger King.

3. It is also close to a tram station Sirkeci.. We never needed to use it as everything was walking distance from the hotel.

4. It cost us 50 TL about $ 34.00

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone Solo, couples or Families. We will definitely stay at this hotel again when visiting Istanbul in near future! Happy Travels to all!!!

Room Tip: If going in the winter time. The hotel has continues heat running there is no way to control it.. So...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Nivesh A
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at the Metropol for 4 nights. The room was small but very clean. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Breakfast was very good. The location of the hotel is in easy walking distance to things we wanted to see, also a short walk to the tram stop. Restaurants and cafes very handy. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the old part of Istanbul.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jolyn545
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at The Metropol for three nights. We were a party of four, so had to use two rooms, but reception made sure we were right next door to each other. The rooms were dated but nice and clean, offered air on and free Wifi in room. The hotel was part of the old city and close to good restaurants, cafes. The tram was 2 min walk away, and it was in walking distance to Hagia Sophia, The grand bazaar and the waterfront. Breakfast was good. Recommend for those that just need to sleep, and not looking for anything to flash. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Virginia M
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We - three friends stayed at Metropol Hotel in March for a week. We really enjoyed the hotel. First of all, the hotel is very clean. Cleaner is a nice lady and cleans all rooms every day. Breakfast was excellent, a lot of choice. Staff was helpful and friendly. Location of the hotel is excellent, you can reach Yerabatan , topkapi, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia very easily, as well as eminonu. It is the best location for those who would like to use public tranport. There are a lot of restaurants and cafes nearby.

At the end, we really enjoyed the hotel very much. I would highly recommend this hotel to all travellers and I will stay there again during my next trip to Istanbul.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aygün A
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Great position in the old city. Situated on a car free road allowing you to walk freely around the shops and restaurants. Close to the Blu Mosque and Sofia Maria Church and also the port, all walking distance. Staff were helpful, when a tour bus failed to pick us up on our last day the reception manager personally tracked them down and organised a replacement bus for us. Breakfast was good. Not luxury but all you need.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple