“Clean and comfortable...”

Ranked #597 of 1,148 Hotels in Istanbul
Tehran, Iran
“Clean and comfortable...”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for four nights. The hotel is located near Istiklal street and so close to the metro station.
The breakfast is not the best and the rooms are not that big.
Totally, considering the value, this hotel was better than what I was expecting.

2 Thank AliAzarnoosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I'm an Australian staying at the Grand Halic Hotel right now. It was booked as part of a Fes Tour. I've been here 2 nights and had stayed In a few other Istanbul hotels in the 4 nights leading up to the tour so have some point of comparison. I can say this hotel doesn't deserve the bad reviews. I'm not sure if other hotels are trying to assassinate them or whether people have genuinely had a bad experience. The lobby and 8th floor restaurant are the highlights. The view from the 8th floor restaurant is breathtaking at night. Rooms are basic but clean and secure. The bathrooms are modern. The wifi is a little temperamental but it is free. I would happily stay here for more nights but I'm off on the tour tomorrow.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Shockie_ut
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after a tour and it was probably one of the worst we have stayed in. The best part about this hotel was their bar and bar staff.

First of all one of the staff members at reception was so rude and unfriendly, my sister in law could not get into her room with her card after a long day walking around Istanbul so she went to reception and the man told her to come back in an hour. The next day she was due to check out at 10am and at 8am a lady from housekeeping barged in and told her to get out, she was very upset by this.

Secondly our air con did not work very well in 40 degree heat. It was just air coming out not even cold. We had to sleep with nothing on to get cool enough to be able to sleep.

Thirdly the beds are like solid cardboard and the sheets are similar and our room was so tiny I couldn't even get my suitcase past the beds. The rooms have a really foul smell also.

I will never stay here again. For a 4 star hotel this does not match up. I would rate it 2 star at best.

1 Thank Laurel W

Travelers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

This ways our hotel before tour and after.basic not four star.place dated needs refurb.breakfast poor no fresh fruit same everyday.rooms clean noisey air con,road busy if room at front.bar staff need training make cocktails.mixed attitude from staff

Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Sandra P
Tehran, Iran
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel has located near the istiklal street and if you (like me) love this street, cafes and nightlife of Istanbul, the selection of this hotel is absolutely right!
My wife and I (30y) stayed there for 4nights and all nights walking around Istiklal, Taksim, cafes and restaurants there. We were at 7th floor with a view of sea. This was wonderful too.
The negative point is noise of the cars that are till midnights! Other things like breakfast menu, bathroom and facilities are acceptable. Wifi signals was good as well!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amin S
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Airco was dripping
Road constructions during the night
Breakfast: limited choice, no fresh fruit/ orange juice
Unstable wifi connection

Clean bathroom, nice shower
Comfortable bed
TV, minibar
Nice view!
Close to subway

Normal price (60 euro) would have been reasonable but prices tripled because of conference.

2 Thank Charizz
United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband & I stayed at this hotel at the start & end of our Cosmos Grand Tour of Turkey, last autumn.
Our arrival was too late for the evening meal but check-in was pleasant. The room (210) was ok, just for the night. It had a hairdryer but no kettle (not good for a supposed 4*) fortunately, we had our own. There was shower gel & shampoo; the room was spacious & clean but no balcony & not a great view. Other part members had nice views of the Asian side of the city & the Golden Horn. Traffic was noisy; take ear plugs, if you’re a light sleeper.
Breakfast was ok; I don’t eat cooked breakfasts but my husband does & would’ve appreciated bacon amongst the cooked offerings. I did note that the croissants were rather soggy! There was a TV, fridge & mini-bar containing fruit juice & chocolate, so it wasn’t all bad!
Our final 2 nights of the tour was spent in a refurbished room, 624. It was at the back, so no view except an inward one of the other rooms. There were nice, silky bed drapes, in warm red & gold colours along with a nice rug on the wooden floor. It had a plasma TV on the wall, spacious bathroom, good glass shower guard, full length mirror in the hall part of the room, hairdryer *and* kettle this time, but no coffee or tea bags; luckily, I always carry some sachets with us. The hotel floor plan, on the back of the door, showed that it’s the largest room on that level.
The air-con was a bit too efficient & rather noisy. Strange smells waft in, now & again, e.g. before 4am, one can smell breakfast preparations / cooking & there was an unfortunate, unsanitary smell, floating around after breakfast, in the corridors; sometimes a musty one too.
Now for the lifts…..goodness! Lifts at the front had been ok but the ones at the back had a will of their own! One journey up to room 624 was like something from a film. We’d just joked about getting stuck between floors when there was a big jolt & it wouldn’t open. After fiddling about with the buttons it did re-start but would only go up to level 5, so we got out & walked up to 6. The 2nd journey saw us being taken only part way down so we got out & went the rest of the way on foot. One of our party was taken down to the basement & was quite lost till some more of the group ‘happened upon her’, as the lift took them down there too. After all that, I refused to get in it again; I like to be in control!
There is a free safe key available from reception & taxis to the bazaar & environs should be about 15TL. There is a Café Nero nearby & we enjoyed meals at the Big Chef Café & Brasserie, 3rd left as you come out of the hotel.
We weren’t too struck on the location & if we return to Istanbul, we’d like to be on the other side of the river, but it was ok for the odd night, as part of a group tour.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple