“Real mosque, fatih area is great”

Fatih Mosque and Complex
Ranked #23 of 1,033 things to do in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Named for the Ottoman conqueror of Istanbul, this mosque was part of a large religious complex atop one of the city's many hills. Among the other original buildings in the complex were a school, library and hospital.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase
Bethesda, Maryland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Real mosque, fatih area is great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Mosque was under Renovation, visited the tomb, mostly traditional muslims, very polite and respectful. Forgot my open bag with my iphone, ipad and wallet inside tomb for sometime, when i came back, it was untouched, women and men reading quran silently. We went on a Wed., big local market outside, u can find anything there. There was a book Fair, with home made dishes by local women, area around is full of life. On our way out, a young lady showed us to our favorite restaurant, komur turk mutfagi, never saw any review about it before. When we got out @ fevzi pasa st, turned right, and walked a couple of blocks or so, the restaurant is absolutely amazing, authentic turkish ottoman, cant forget the fasulyie. The rest of the street is busy and Looks blooming? İ liked it and enjoyed talking with the people

Visited April 2012

• Turkish first
Bolton, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Zero tourist and a great market for Turks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

This was a big surprise for me. It looks different to the other large city centre mosques and plus no tourist. There was the best market in the city that you don't hear about. Almost a tourist secret as there were great deals but the sellers had no/little english and didn't want to overcharge like the other touristy markets.

Visited February 2012
2 Thank irishwanderer1986
Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“My namesakes final resting place?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

I have an interest in Roman History, in particular the life of my namesake Emperor Julian The Apostate (331-363 A.D ). I highly recommend the book about him by Gore Vidal. According to my research he was assassinated in battle by one of his own soldiers, a Christian called Calixtus, who was murderously opposed to the Emperor's policy of Religious Tolerance. At first Julian was buried at Tarsus, Turkey but later moved to the Church of Holy Apostles, Constantinople. After the Turkish Conquest of 1451 Constantinople became Istanbul and this Church became a mosque. And so I went on a personal pilgrimage to see if I could locate the grave. I found the Mosque and the many stray cats who live in the grounds and the adjacent graveyard. Being non-Muslim I didn't enter the Mosque itself and the graveyard was fenced off. Still, I found it interesting.

Visited September 2010