Hotel Sebnem
Esans Hotel(Istanbul)
Premist Hotel(Istanbul)
Milion Hotel(Istanbul)
  • Room Service
All reviewstopkapi palaceblue mosquelovely rooftop terraceside streetwithin walking distancesmall hotelairport pickupbreakfast was includedthe location is perfectbasilica cisternmain attractionsgalata bridgetram stationunalsultanahmetheart
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This is a small hotel with an excellent location to the major historic sites, shopping, public transportation, and restaurants, with fantastic views from the terrace. The staff was very efficient and helpful, and speaks English. Our room was very comfortable and had good air conditioning. The breakfast was quite good, with a wide variety to accommodate most peoples needs. The overall experience far exceeded my expectations. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Istanbul and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This was my first trip to Istanbul - this hotel was recommended by a friend who had stayed there before. I was traveling with 2 friends, so we decided to book the family room to contain costs, rather than get our own rooms. The room was bigger than I expected, the air conditioner was very good and the small bathroom came with a small shower and hair dryer. The hotel was very clean, close to a laundry service, but down the side street just enough to be quiet but minutes from all the sites. The service stood out - the front desk was very helpful (spoke English) and the rooftop breakfast (or late night drink) had a breathtaking view with home made pastries, fruit, and traditional turkish food that was better than most in the area. The staff made it a fun place to visit and quickly became friends. I would most definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The family room as one queen and 2 twin beds - but enough room for 3 to stay in. I did not see the other rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank miche_dallas
Reviewed June 30, 2012

It was more than we expected, we stayed four nights, extremely efficient friendly staff, comfortable bed, lovely roof terrace with views, brilliant breakfast and a few minutes walk to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and lots of little restaurants in the same / next road, we liked the Mezze and wine / beer in Kosk, we also had a really great meal in a seafood restaurant which is recommended by the Sebnem staff for a special meal and only 2 roads away, Balikci Sabahattin.
The wardrobe, bathroom are small so don't take too much! We walked to the Grand Bazaar then got a tram for 2 lira to the pier by the bridge and stepped straight on a a 2 hour Bosphorous cruise for 10 lira rather than pay the 45 lira for a booked cruise. The tram is very cheap 2 lira wherever you go - so it is very busy - not for the claustrophobic.
Only downside - the red wine but white is drinkable! Lovely little hotel - great city.

Room Tip: Room 18 double with sea view, on the end of corridor, quiet
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Canalletto
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed there 4 days in the last days of June. I was expecting a lot, knew that the rooms are on the small size ( didn't bother us) and this hotel , unobtrusive and helpful staff, the most perfect view, exceeded my expectations by far. For the first time ( maybe in my life...LOL) I honestly don't have a critique. The reviewer below commented the a/c - it is really silent! The perfect rooftop terrace just adds to the appeal of the neighborhood.
Dont know what else to say because the reviewer below said everything. I will try to book the Sebnem next time we come back, but based on this reviews ( and reality) guess it would have to be one year in advance. :)

Room Tip: Try to book a room with a garden
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Arya22
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We spent one night at the Sebnem Hotel Istanbul, 21 May, and expected to stay seven. We left immediately in the morning because the hotel is uncomfortable, with very tight narrow airless and noisy rooms. We booked the Garden Room, the most expensive room, with its small garden, at 100 euros a night. The room had no air and light, the bed was crammed into the corner of the room with no place for luggage. The local military cafe kept loud noise present in the room until 1:30. (And most probably on that side of the hotel, as several clients have reported in reviews) Asked the next morning by another client about the secluded character of the room, I reported, to her surprise, that it was very noisy. And that was a Monday night. The Breakfast Buffet was exemplary, offering hot and cold Turkish and International breakfast items in generous presentations. We immediately sought another hotel, and with some difficulty, we found an excellent substitute though we needed to pay a somewhat higher price for a commodious and quiet room. The increase was worth every euro.

Readers of the Trip Advisor reviews of Sebnem Hotel should read those encomiums with caution. Many excuses are offered for the the uncomfortable and noisy hotel, set in the most vulgar tourist region of the Sultanahmet. My evaluations, positive and negative, of the Sebnem are evident in many positive reviews. The Sultanahmet offers many other hotels and restaurants of pleasant composure and setting, with fine rooms and quiet surroundings. These are offered at prices very near or comparable to the Sebnem. We had to look at the last minute, in a situation of necessity, but searching months early would result in a pleasant location and hotel. I erred in not reading the subtext of the positive reviews of this hotel: the clients loved the breakfast buffet on the rooftop terrace overlooking the Old City and Turkish Straits. Three weeks in Turkey indicated that most every hotel or pension breakfast is generous and healthy even if the settings were more mundane. Unless you have no other choice, or no time to find an alternative, I'd stay away from the Sebnem. There is no reason to ruin an extended stay in one of the world's great cities with a noisy crowded and unpleasant hotel. Lonely Planet included Sebnem and many many others. Chose well.

Room Tip: There are some triples, I believe. For two persons, this might provide a bit more space. Most rooms seemed very small for the price. Seek elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple