“Good service, convenient location”

Hotel Alp Guesthouse
Ranked #323 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I get the impression that this hotel was definitely above average for Istanbul guest house standards, but I'm not sure it warrants a "very good" review. It was squarely good.

The rooms were on the small side, and the walls fairly porous to sound. Thus because our room was immediately off the stairs, the sounds of people going up and down early in the morning tended to wake me up before I wanted to.

The continental breakfast was quite varied, but I didn't find the ingredients to be quite remarkable. I noticed that the granola was the same brand I eat in Paris.

On the plus side, the wifi was strong, the energy efficiency measures admirable, and the staff very accommodating. They spoke English reasonably well, which was necessary because I don't speak Turkish, and operated a 24-hour reception.

Though not exceptional, I would go back, and I recommend the hotel to travelers on a budget.

Room Tip: Try to book a room away from the main staircase.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank skbarz

Reviewed January 16, 2013

The front desk staff were always courteous and very helpful, and the limo ride from and to the airport very convenient & pleasant.

It is located in the Cancurtaran area very near the Aya Sofia & Topkapi Place, which is great and very handy for first time visitors to Istanbul, but can can be a bit of a trap if you want less touristy restaurants or if exploring further afield as it is always a bit of a walk to and from public transport.

My room was comfortable and very quiet apart from the early morning call to prayer which I became accustomed to after a short time, with good shower & bathroom. If you are going to complain about the call to prayer then I suggest you don’t come to Turkey ! Its like bell ringing on a Sunday in Rome - it’s to be expected.

My only negative comment is with regard to house keeping which appeared to slipping a bit with lapses in attention to detail - a stained & rusty soap dispenser that could have been cleaned with the appropriate materials in 1 minute; 3 part used spare toilet rolls left rolling untidily around the bathroom floor - for a week !; and a bed that was not really made, just straightened up every morning.

Breakfast was served on the rooftop and was fine and fresh every day. Coffee was of the instant variety, and surprisingly there didn’t seem to be any tea served in the traditional way - only hot water on tea bags. I was able to use the breakfast room at other times for reading etc.

WiFi is available but was a bit hit & miss on my devices.

I've been before, have recommend it to others, and would go again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors to the south look towards the sea & Asia. Rooms at the back are very c...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Eat-no-fat
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Alp Guest House was everything I needed for my stay in Istanbul. Breakfast was great, view wonderful and all staff very helpful. Very quite location, yet close to major sights and places to eat.

I highly recommend the place and commend the staff for the knowledge and guidance to make my short stay the best.

The call to prayer - a wonderful morning wakeup.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ddaly53998
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here with a group of friends in October. You cannot beat the location - it is on a side street with no through traffic, and within a few minutes' walking distance to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and tram station. The hotel employees were especially courteous and helped us book airport transfers, among other things.

The rooms are decent, traditionally furnished but comfortable. The shower had great water pressure. The A/C worked very well. One really nice perk is that they have a water dispenser in the main lobby for guests, since most people do not drink the tap water. Breakfast was good - the coffee was excellent! Plus you get to enjoy your breakfast on a terrace overlooking the Bosphorus.

Some people have complained about the calls to prayer, but I did not find them especially distracting, and in fact after the first day I expected them and found them rather soothing.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others staying in Istanbul.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank cincy814
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We thought it was a good-value hotel: just south of the main sites, on a side street that dead-ends into stairs, so no traffic. You do have a mosque just behind it, but I'll take the early call to prayers over steady street noise. At one point I wondered if I'd have preferred something on the other side of the Golden Horn, around Taksim -- and then I got there and realized this was so much calmer and more interesting.
Like lots of hotels, you eat breakfast on a rooftop terrace, and with this one, you have a pretty unobstructed view of the Bosphorus. The rooms aren't big, as in the size of a hotel room off an American Interstate, but I didn't expect that. It's a city. And the size was fine.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank princetonarea
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We just returned from a 4 night stay there with a group of friends. We had the twin rooms which consisted of a full sized bed and a twin. I enjoyed every aspect of our stay. The rooftop terrace was so nice first thing in the morning as you enjoyed your very "turkish" breakfast (coffee, cay, ekmek, jellies, butter, olives, fruits and cucumbers and tomatoes - PLENTY to fill you for your outting).

The gentleman that worked the breakfast was so courteous and stayed on top of cleaning off the premium tables outside with views of the water and city. The terrace is open in the evenings too - just obviously no food.

The location is SUPERB. Less than an easy 7-8 minute walk to Hagia Sofia and Blue Mosque. The tram stop is near the mosque. Restaurants and mini grocery stores are right around the corner. Private transfer is 20 euros - you can share a shuttle for 5 euros.

The front desk gentlemen are great. Very helpful with advice about the area. Great at coordinating your return.

If you are expecting a posh chain hotel, this isn't your place. However, if you are hoping for a great, affordable hotel in a great area, THIS is your place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Laura Pinar K
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I'm surprised by all the positive reviews and the notes that the hotel was recently renovated. I our door didn't even latch when closed. I other hotels that required the key card to turn on the light worked on a slight delay so you weren't plunged into darkness when trying to exit ones room. The location is right in the heart of all the touristy sights but that meant blaring calls to prayer right in our ears all morning. With the windows closed the room got quite stuffy. I the front rooms are way better than the rooms in the back. Our first room in the back was very small and had a terrible smell with pieces of ceiling falling down in the shower. Wifi was weak and inconsistent. Not super clean either. Also we requested a top sheet and pillowcases. We got the top sheet once but it was gone after the room was made up the next day and we requested but never got another. And sleeping on yellowy uncovered pillows is quite icky. My friends stayed at Hotel Levni nearby and had a vastly different experience for essentially the same price.

• Stayed: October 2012