I stayed here with a couple of friends in May, 2011. We booked this hotel because we wanted to be close to beyoglu/taksim and this was the cheapest option I could find ($145/night for a triple room). I didn't expect much given the price, but boy were we surprised! The hotel is off a small side street from Istikal street which was perfect for us. Istikal street and all the action is within a short 2 min walk from the hotel but being in a side street helped keep the noise away at night.
The room we stayed in appeared recently refurbished. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels (as a tourist and business traveller), but never seen anything nearly as modern as the Troya room. Everything was touch screen (switches, a/c control, etc) including the elevator buttons. TV was LCD. Bathroom was fabulous - very clean and modern and with running hot and cold water. Shower had 2 shower heads - one was a pull out/hand held shower and another was an overhead rain shower.
Service was excellent. I don't remember the names of the gentlemen at the reception but there were two - one in the day shift and another in the evening shift. The day shift guy was especially helpful and both speak excellent English.
General guidelines -
1. My buddies arrived before me and took a cab from the airport to the hotel. It cost them 45 lira. I took Havas bus from the airport to the Taksim square (10 lira) and then a cab from Taksim to the hotel (told the cabbie Tepebashi as he didn't know Troya). The cab cost an additional 10 lira (I think more like 5 but the guy asked for 10).
2. To go to Sultanahmet, you have 3 options -
- walk - takes about 30 mins and not really recommended.
- take a train to Taksim square and catch another train to Sultanahmet - not recommended but this was the initial option that the reception gave us.
- walk to Tophane station (10 min) and then catch a train from there (1.5 lira). We did this and it was the best option in my opinion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Troya is a 77-room located in the popular city center of Istanbul, Beyoglu-Taksim area, just 100 meters walk from Istiklal street. The hotel has been in service since 1988, and recently renovated in 2011. All rooms include bath with shower, individually controlled air-condition, LCD satellite TV, kettle, wireless internet access and minibar. Free breakfat is served at the terrace overlooking the city view. The hotel offers airport transfer with a minibus. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Troya Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Troya Hotel Istanbul