“Surprisingly great!”
Review of Troya Hotel

Troya Hotel
Ranked #265 of 1,181 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I stayed here with a couple of friends in May, 2011. We booked this hotel because we wanted to be close to beyoglu/taksim and this was the cheapest option I could find ($145/night for a triple room). I didn't expect much given the price, but boy were we surprised! The hotel is off a small side street from Istikal street which was perfect for us. Istikal street and all the action is within a short 2 min walk from the hotel but being in a side street helped keep the noise away at night.

The room we stayed in appeared recently refurbished. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels (as a tourist and business traveller), but never seen anything nearly as modern as the Troya room. Everything was touch screen (switches, a/c control, etc) including the elevator buttons. TV was LCD. Bathroom was fabulous - very clean and modern and with running hot and cold water. Shower had 2 shower heads - one was a pull out/hand held shower and another was an overhead rain shower.

Service was excellent. I don't remember the names of the gentlemen at the reception but there were two - one in the day shift and another in the evening shift. The day shift guy was especially helpful and both speak excellent English.

General guidelines -
1. My buddies arrived before me and took a cab from the airport to the hotel. It cost them 45 lira. I took Havas bus from the airport to the Taksim square (10 lira) and then a cab from Taksim to the hotel (told the cabbie Tepebashi as he didn't know Troya). The cab cost an additional 10 lira (I think more like 5 but the guy asked for 10).

2. To go to Sultanahmet, you have 3 options -
- walk - takes about 30 mins and not really recommended.
- take a train to Taksim square and catch another train to Sultanahmet - not recommended but this was the initial option that the reception gave us.
- walk to Tophane station (10 min) and then catch a train from there (1.5 lira). We did this and it was the best option in my opinion.

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the street.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank damoose

Reviewed June 6, 2011

The room was a bit small, and there was no view from the window. When we checked in there was an angry, spoiled, diva of a Greek woman throwing a tantrum about the lack of natural light in her room. Our room faced a bare wall in some kind of shaft in the middle of the building; it didn't let in very much natural light. I can see what she was complaining about, but this didn't bother me at all. Who wants to stay in the bustling Taksim/Beyoglu area to hang out in the hotel room all day? Step outside and choose from a huge array of restaurants and cafes.

The room was clean, comfortable and modern. It was clearly a smoking room, and the refrigerator in the room barely worked. Our room was two floors from the top, where there is a terrace. There was a lot of noise coming from the terrace each night, including loud bumping music, even though we were two floors below. The doors are a little on the thin side, so they let in some noise from the hallways. But I was able to sleep perfectly fine. The bathroom was clean and nice.

The back-street Troya is on doesn't have much going on. It's a good 10-15 minute walk from Taksim Square, but and a very short walk from Istikal Caddesi. which is extremely popular with the young Turkish crowd. Istikal and its many side streets are filled with bars, clubs, restaurants, cafes, shops, etc, and there is a ton to do. There's a tremendous buzz about this neighborhood, and I loved it. Nightlife here is much better than in Sultanahmet. If you're looking for a quiet, relaxed atmosphere, this isn't the right place for you.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2011

The hotel was in a perfect place near the Pera and Taxim square. The rooms were very small without a window. The breakfash was Turkish. The people of the hotel was very helpfull to everything. Average hotel and overpriced.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lazaroz
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Stayed in one of the re-furbished rooms overlooking to the street in front of the hotel. Although 10-20 euros costlier than our rooms, the price was worth the value in my opinion, and reasonable for this area. The best side of the hotel, I think, is its central location near Istiklal street and breakfast at the terrace with the sea-view.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank lvivian
Reviewed November 25, 2010

When we arrived, the staff were kind and helpful. They provided a receipt for me upon my request after making payment for 10 nights in cash. They put us in a room which was not very nice, the bed was old, and the street was very noisy, but which had a great view over the building across Mesrutiyet Caddesi to the city. After a few noisy nights from the traffic on Mesrutiyet, I asked for a quiet room which they gladly gave to us. Our room looked over a quiet alley, the room was smaller, but the accomodations were nicer. The food was excellent at breakfast with a wide selection of fruits, beverages, and cheeses, and breads and all was nicely presented. The front desk staff was helpful and made good suggestions to me as a first time traveler to Istanbul. I asked for advice regarding where to eat and what to see as well as using my guide book. I appreciated being on the north side of the Golden Horn near the newer side of town.

• Stayed: April 2010
2  Thank SaintPaulTraveler
Reviewed November 17, 2010

Ridiculously small rooms. No apologies given for construction on upper floors going on all afternoon. Charged us $70 for 3lbs of laundry.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank chicha6660763
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I stayed here with several friends as part of a trip to Istanbul for the wedding of friends. The location is great -- a quick, safe walk to Istiklal Caddesi, and an easy cab ride to the Grand Bazaar and other locations. The rooms are worn, but perfectly serviceable and roomy by European standards, and the breakfast is plentiful and good. I appreciated the free internet access on two computers just off the lobby -- almost always at least one was available. The staff was outstanding during my visit, and very accommodating when we needed to change from a triple to a double at the last minute because of an unexpected cancellation of one member of our group. They were also great about storing our excess bags when we left for a couple of days to go to Southern Turkey before returning to Istanbul for our last nights.

My only word of caution concerns the air conditioning -- when we went, the hotel advertised air conditioning on the website. However, when we arrived, we discovered that the air conditioning was not turned on yet in the rooms (it was on in the lobby) because May was not considered "air conditioning season." It's my understanding that they won't turn the air on until June, no matter how hot it is. Before you reserve, you might want to find out if they plan to have the air conditioning turned on in the rooms during your stay; otherwise, don't expect to sleep too much past sunrise in warm weather, when it starts to get noisy (especially with open windows) and hot. I think this is a common practice in Istanbul, as some friends of ours at other hotels had the same experience, so ask ahead wherever you stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Istanbul
Galata Life Istanbul
Fener & Balat
Troya Hotel Balat
Troya Hotel Balat
#546 of 1,181 in Istanbul

Been to Troya Hotel? Share your experiences!