“Couldn't ask for more”

Ranked #12 of 1,202 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
San
“Couldn't ask for more”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I came to Istanbul at the end of my trip, at which point I was hoping to save a bit of money. I don't remember how I found the Orient, but I booked it in advance. I felt so lucky when I got there. Not only was it a great deal, but the location was fantastic and they were so helpful.

I really didn't do much planning for this part of my trip figuring it would be easy to get around and find things to do. They had so many great ideas for me and helped me book many things, all of which turned out to be fantastic. In addition, their cafe was a great place to stop in-between activities and have a coffee or a beer. The location made it so we could walk to so many of the places we ended up seeing and the food scene around that area is great and super affordable. I highly recommend the Orient and if I go back, it will def. be my pick!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Courtney C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kentfield, California
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I booked the Orient Hostel for my 3 days in Istanbul mostly because of the reviews, its proximity to all the best sights and the cost. My wife and I booked a private room, which I highly recommend for the cost. We didn't have high expectations, since it was a hostel, but figured it was a great way to save money at the end of our trip and since we wanted to do so much, we were mostly going to crash their at the end of the day.

Our experience was so far from that. I don't usually write reviews for places, but my experience here made me want to. When we got there, we immediately loved the location. We did not spend that much time in the room, but hung around the hostel more than I thought we would. They have a great rooftop area to overlook the city and the hostel sits on this great block of cobbled bars and restaurants and a ton of stuff is going on there all day. So many times, we stopped back at the Orient for a great afternoon coffee or an evening beer before heading out for the evening.

The staff was also very helpful. They directed us to some hidden gems in the city and although we were at the end of our trip, we saw many a person using the Orient as a jumping off point for their whole trip and leaning on the Orient to help book a lot of their travel. I would highly suggest the Orient for the location, price and service.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Patrick K
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stambul was my last stop during my trip to Turkey and what a great surprise when I saw the hostel! Its location couldn't be better, it's just in the middle of Sultanahmet, the guys working here are very helpful, the bar outside and cafe on the roof are perfect to spend time at and enjoy the wonderful views. It's very busy, people come and go, share experiences etc, which all in all creates a fantastic atmosphere. The rooms are good quality and very clean. I highly reccommend the place!

Room Tip: There are a lot of rooms on a few floors. I guess the higher the better view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank palomcia
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed in Orient Hostel for two nights in a private (double) room located in the basement. The room was ok with big windows, but very small and smelled pretty much like basements do. The bathrooms are shared but clean. The atmosphere is pretty anonymous because of the size of the place: there is even a 30-bed dormitory with the outlook of a military barrack. There is a breakfast included that is ok (cucumber, yoghurt, bread, fried (?) bread, boiled eggs, one cup of nescafé/tea for each and additional drinks have to be paid for; no fruits). There is a rooftop terrace with a nice view but it was closed most of the time. The bar in front of the hostel is mostly packed with waterpipe-smoking backpackers like in the rest of the street. In sum, the hostel is not a bad and definitely a cheap option but there are nicer places around in the same neighborhood.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fethiye, Turkey
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I had an amazing time staying in this hostel. The location couldn't be any better, the staff is really friendly and helps you with everything, there's a really nice breakfast room, everything is very clean and on top of that it's got an amazing rooftop bar.
Definitely a great place to enjoy Istanbul!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Carmen K
Reviewed July 31, 2013

After spending 7 months in Europe we had seen our fair share of hostels and this was honestly one of the best. The staff and location were excellent. Our every need they were happy to help with and were always available to suggest places to go and how to do it.

The location allowed great oppurtunities to see all the major landmarks and take in the truely wonderful nature of the city. The room was very clean and well looked after. Showers and toilets were conveient without being too close. They were the highlight for us on our trip as water pressure had been an issue at other places but not here.

Do not have enough nice words to stay but should you be looking to spend a few nights in amazing Istanbul make sure you stay at the Orient Hostel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JMacca88
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The location of Orient hostel is great, 5 minute walk to Blue Mosque and the tram stop and on a road with loads of restaurants so there's plenty of choice about where to eat right on the doorstep. We booked to stay in the 30 man dorm for 10 days, we'd been in there 2 days when the manager told us that we were being upgraded to an 8 man dorm at no extra charge since they weren't very busy. We all thought this was a really nice gesture and moved the next day.
The 30 man dorm was fine but a bit dark, its down some stairs and at the back of the hostel near a courtyard. It was obviously a bit noisy because there were people coming back late and snoring etc, but no noise from the street. Also there were lockers available in the dorm where we kept our handbags which was good. Shared toilets and showers were clean and had warm water, and I saw them being cleaned daily which was good.
The 8 man dorm was a lot noisier as it overlooked the street, but we just shut the window and kept the fan on when we went to sleep - a bit hot but bearable. Clean toilets and showers on the same floor as our dorm which was good, plus this room was a lot more homely than the 30 man dorm (understandably), it also had a sink in it which was convenient.
Breakfast is included in the price which was such an added bonus, it was a buffet with not a huge amount of choice, but enough to make it a nice breakfast and really good value for money (bread, eggs, olives, cereal, cucumber). You also get 10% off in the hostel restaurant but we personally felt there wasn't much choice so often ate out. We still enjoyed sitting in the outside areas though.
The staff were all really friendly and helpful, someone was always at reception when we needed help or advice and they always did their very best to help out (calling a taxi to the airport, telling us where was good to go out, lending us sellotape etc.)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends