“Orient hostel - Great hospitality”

Orient Hostel International
Ranked #11 of 1,248 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed at the Orient in March 2012 after having it recommended by a friend. Since we are past the youthful backpacking phase, we chose to stay in a private room with it's own bathroom.
Getting to the room was a bit of an adventure because it is at the rear of the establishment, but the room was clean and comfortable and even had a small bar fridge.
The staff were all great and we had breakfasts there, which consisted of the typical Turkish breakfast fare plus a few other choises.
If you are looking for 5 star this surely isn't for you But if you are looking for something that is comfortable, close to transport, and with some of the major landmarks also close by for a budget price, with some great personalities to boot, this is it. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Janet R

Reviewed January 18, 2013

The location is really good. Very close to hagia sofia, blue mosque, grand bazaar.. and a fish burger place(a must try).. A currency exchange is also close by. I stayed here in the dorm in december 2012 for 3 days. The room was very clean. Sheets were nice. Bathrooms were shared but all really well maintained. (I had lower expectations). The staff was really great and very informative. Ended up chatting with everyone there well past mid night. They also have airport transfers (which I used). This is where I am going to stay next time am there.

3  Thank herbivore_backpacker
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here in december 2012, for 6 days, with my friend and it was great! Very nice, kindness and helpful staff. It's the best location in Istanbul - in a prime location. It is a less than 10 minutes walk from the Topkapi Palace, Blue Moque, Hagia Sophia and the tram station which will take you to all areas in Istanbul. It's clean, secure, safe. Good food – very good breakfast that is included in the price. One of the best views in the city, from the roof terace. Wifi all over the place. The best atmosphere!!! Otient hostel team is the best!!! I recommend it to evryone!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Petra M
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Orient Hostel might be the best hostel I've stayed in. If the street scene and free (amazing, home-cooked) breakfast didn't draw you in, from the open rooftop seating area, you can easily see the Topkapi Palace, the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, the Sea of Marmara, and across it to the Asian side of Istanbul.

I was traveling with 6 friends and we stayed in the large, 30-bed co-ed dorm. There is a locked room where you can store stuff during the day, but we were comfortable enough to leave stuff on our beds. Staff was helpful and super nice and the place was pretty clean the whole time.

I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank vspendergraft
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Orient Int'l is in a prime location. Literally, it is a block from the Topkapi Palace. It is situated in the most popular part of the Old Town. It's less than 10 minutes walk to the tram station which will take you to all the popular areas in Istanbul, and it is only a 5 minutes walk to the sea wall.
The room I stay in was clean and the share bathrooms were above my expectations. There were extra sheets and blanket in the room just in case it gets cold, but I didn't use them even though I was in Istanbul in December the coldest time of the year.
Staff is really friendly, knowledgeable about the area, and they are always there to help to answer all your questions. Onur who runs it, is a great host and accommodating. He answered all my questions and replied promptly to all my emails when I booked.
I like the patio of the Orient. It's a great place to people watch. Also, there are individual WIFI for every floor which beats the 5 stars hotel (Crown Plaza) which I stayed at in Istanbul on a tour a week prior. Overall, I will recommend the Orient to anyone visiting Istanbul.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor or the third floor because the rooms in the basement can be noisy...
6  Thank Will C
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I booked a room at the Orient Hostel for my friend who needed an overnight to catch another flight in the early morning. These guys were so helpful last minute when i found that the online date i entered was incorrect-- I emailed them and they completely made room for my friend- totally last minute! And then in his rush to make his early flight he left his boots by the bed and only told me after two weeks. One email and the hostel had found and kept the boots- which he will pick up on his way back through the city. I have to say that this is the kind of personal attention to detail and help that is so welcome to travelers in unknown cities. I was so appreciative of the immediate response to my emails and the fact that they took care in the lost and found department. I can't think of any higher recommendation i could give to the international traveler who is looking for a simple and honest spot to rest in a big exciting city.

Room Tip: I booked a dorm room for my fried to catch a bit of shut eye in between flights. He said that the h...
5  Thank annachnyc
Reviewed January 2, 2013

A friend and I spent 2 days in the hostal and it was great. The guys working there are the best. We tried 2 other places before this one, and the service here was so much better even if the other places were more expensive. The hostal itself well located and the rooms are just fine. The view is nice from the breakfast area. I would definately recommend this place for friends or solo travelling.

Room Tip: It all depends who you will be sharing the room with. I'm a light sleeper so I chose the 4 peopl...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends