“Great customer service & location, small rooms & old hotel”

Orient Express Hotel
Ranked #62 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed August 30, 2013

If you are looking for an American-style modern hotel, this is probably not for your. However, if you aren't bothered by small rooms, elevators that can only accommodate 2-4 people, and semi-comfortable beds, then I DEFINITELY recommend this hotel.

The positives are:
Location - Just a 10 minute walk from the Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia, this is a great location for first time travelers to Istanbul, who are mainly looking to see the sights. There isn't much in the way of nightlife in this neighborhood, but there are several good restaurants nearby, and the tram is right down the street.

Customer Service - The staff are incredibly friendly and polite, there is a welcome letter from the owner, WITH HIS CELL PHONE # should you need anything. After we got back, we received a thank you email from the hotel, expressing gratitude at us choosing their hotel

Restaurant - They have an EXCELLENT rooftop restaurant, real fine dining experience. Their food is inventive, well-presented, and tastes GREAT! The staff is very well trained. Note: you have to make reservations ahead of time for dinner, but the view alone is worth it.

If I ever go back to Istanbul, I will probably stay in the more lively Taksim Square, but for families and first-timers, I would definitely suggest staying here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Orient Express Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Guest
I would like to thank you for the nice words and for sharing your experience;
All the staff sends you the warmest regards and we all hope to see you soon again;
Best wishes
Owner of the Orient Express

Write a ReviewReviews (1,778)

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We spent 3 nights at the Orient Express in mid-July. The hotel was recommended by a friend and I also checked the reviews on Trip Advisor, which were very positive. The hotel is located in the old part of the city, within walking distance from Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, the Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazar and other local attractions. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and soon after booking on-line on the hotel site I received an email from their PR person, Lori, offering help and hints on Istanbul, which was a first for me. On arrival we felt welcome and valued as customers. Lori sat with us, offered us some tea, and gave us a brief overview of the main attractions and recommendations, which was very helpful. Our room was in fact two connected bedrooms, and was spacious and light. The only downside is that our door was directly opposite the lift on the 7th floor, and customers leaving the rooftop terrace were very noisy. The hotel has a small basement pool, which is pleasant for a brief relaxation after a day walking around Istanbul. The hotel staff were all very helpful, including spending a good 15min on the phone with THY to sort out my flight to Bodrum. Breakfast was excellent, with various Turkish delicacies, as well as more traditional continental items.

Room Tip: if you want quiet early nights, you should avoid room 701
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MHSV_MG
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Orient Express Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

My Dearest Guest,

It is so kind of you to write about us. We are so happy to read your review and glad that you had a good stay with us. Thank you very much.
If you plan to come back again or need anything from Istanbul, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be more than happy to assist you again.
Sincerely
Faruk Boyaci

Reviewed July 25, 2013

If you are looking for a place to stay in the old city... look no more! this is a fantastic hotel! Great service, friendly and helpful staff, and a great location.. The rooms are basic, spacious and very clean. Indoor pool for cooling down after a day in the markets, a great breakfast with a wide selection.
The best thing is the helpful staff, from trip planning to booking tickets to helping with cancelled flights, they did it all! they accommodated a change in rooms and changed our booking, no problem!I will definitely stay here again...
ps, did I say that you get a bowl of Turkish delight on your bed....lol
book on their website to get a free airport transfer (one-way) and some extra deals..

Room Tip: front rooms look out over street, better than the back, which faces a construction area
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HeloiseRxph

My Dearest Guest
Firstly I would like to thank you for your review for Orient Express Hotel.
Your words brought us thorough happiness.
It is very important for us that our guests leave the hotel completely satisfied.
As guest is everything for us, reading this nice words make us each day prouder of what we do.
We will be very happy to host you again at Orient Express Family next time you will visit Istanbul.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed at the Orient Express four times now. I first came across it by chance after arriving in Istanbul without having anything pre-booked. Right from the start It had a good feeling, the staff couldn't do enough for you and were most helpful considering I'd arrived in a rather unconventional way and had some very unconventional luggage, i.e. by bicycle, but nothing was too much trouble, they just stored my bike in one of their sister hotels.
I've since returned another three times and each time the standards have been extremely high, from the cleanliness of the place to the polite and very helpful staff. The breakfast is superb, buffet style with a very good selection catering for all palettes and the rooftop restaurant serves divine food with great views across the Bosphorus.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to anybody, it's a real gem and a very good example of how a hotel should be run and it's in a great location. I look forward to returning very soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

My Dearest Guest
Thank you very much for your kind words.
I am really happy to know that you enjoyed your stay, service and amenities.
All our staff sends you best wishes and hopes to see you again.
Best wishes from Orient Express Family

Reviewed July 14, 2013

From the welcoming and informative reception staff, great housekeeping, perfect location and the amazing restaurant with view over Istanbul this hotel meets all expectations. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. We extended our stay by 3 days and it was no problem. We ordered the airport pickup both ways, which took away any thought of a worry with shady taxi drivers. Thank you Orient Express Hotel.

Room Tip: Room 402 was great on 4th floor, window/doors opens onto little verandah looking down main street wi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 50th
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Orient Express Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dearest guest

I would like to thank you for your precious feedback.
I am glad that you enjoyed the stay especially appreciated the location and staff friendliness.
We really hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Because of its location, this hotel is ideal for a first time visitor to Istanbul. We arrived from Buccharest by train (and bus) very early in the morning and it was an easy walk up the hill from the train station. We later made good use of the trams which glide past the hotel's front door. All of the major historic/tourist sites are within walking distance and there is a big range of cafes and restaurants nearby, although quite "touristy". The hotel's own roof-top terrace restaurant was a bonus. We faced the main street and the trams dinging and traffic noise was always present, but no more than staying anywhere else in a busy inner-city hotel. Reception staff were always cheerful and helpful. The breakfast was more of a hit-and-miss affair, with a surly young woman not believing her duties included making sure there was milk, fruit, toaster turned on, hot food in the bainmaries, or clearing plates and re-setting tables. Be aware to specify a non-smoking room and floor. We were initially assigned a 2nd floor room which we found out was "smoking". We'd forgotten how awful bedding, carpets, curtains, air-conditioning and a room can smell if it has been used by a smoker. Our request to move was arranged the next day.

Room Tip: Need to specify non-smoking room. If a light sleeper, recommend asking for a quiet room or rear-faci...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LizB37
Sirkecigroup, Owner at Orient Express Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Guest
I am Faruk Boyacı the owner of Orient Express Hotel.
I would like to thank you for your precious review.
I respect not just positive reviews but also negative ones.
Especially is from these reviews that we improve the quality of our service.

I just want to clarify that you were given a smoking room upon arrival because was the only room available at 07:00 am, when you arrived;
Our check-in starts at 14:00pm and you were given a room at 07:00 am without any additional charge; Although your room was changed next morning, I understand that a non-smoker doesn't feel comfortable with smoke smell on the room;
Regarding the waitress in the morning I truly apology, her comportment is unacceptable.
I was already aware of the situation, as you explained it to our guest relations.
We wanted to let you know that we spoke with her and gave a penalty, upon our job performance policies.
In case such a thing happens again unfortunately we will have to stop our work relationship with her;

If you decide to revisit Istanbul I hope you will give us another chance to show you the real Turkish hospitality.
Whether you decide to do so please feel free to contact me by e-mail or mobile phone which you can find below and I will take care of your happiness.
Best wishes from Istanbul
0090 532 31 29 287

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Location is one of the main "pros" of this hotel - 5 minutes of pleasant walk to Gulhane park and Topkapi palace (Gulhane tram station) or 7 minutes to Eminonu quay. I also liked fast, helpful and polite service on reception, thorough cleaning, restaurant with a panoramic view (this is a common feature of many hotels in Sultanahmet and Sirkeci, you should make a reservation at least several hours before dinner), and nice indoor swimming pool. The room I stayed in (on the 6th floor) faced the backyard with a rather partial view to Bosporus, still it was tiny and clean. The compliment from the owner upon arrival - lukum - was a pleasant surprise. There're tea/coffee facilities in the room. Free Wi-Fi was ok (reception guys provide a password). It was a bit noisy in the evening since my room was situated just under the restaurant, but it didn't make a big problem. Breakfasts were basic but of good quality (boiled and scrambled eggs, cheese, sausages, olives, lots of bakery, honey, fresh orange juice, etc.). Fin-de-siècle design makes this place cozy and romantic. Still mind the thin walls if you are travelling in couple.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hannusia

Dearest guest
I would like to thank you for the kind words and appreciations.
Each member of our staff does its job with passion and dedication to guest satisfaction.
It will be a real pleasure for us to welcome you back at the Orient Express Family.
The owner of the hotel