“A lovely hotel”
Review of Kent Hotel

Kent Hotel
Ranked #292 of 1,178 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This was a great base in Istanbul, just a few minutes walk to the Grand Bazaar. A tram stops almost outside the hotel which will take you whereever you ned to go. Quite possibly the most comfortable beds in Turkey too. The breakfasts were very nice - quite simple compared with the unnecessary extravagance of some Turkish hotels.
The bathrooms were quite small, but very clean. I would stay here again (though the restaurant/bar prices are high - you can find cheaper things very close).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Teresafromnz

Reviewed June 14, 2011

Can't believe it was just a month ago that I spent 5 wonderful days at this hotel. Despite some of the reviews on the Kent Hotel I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean and spacious. The shower was great with plenty of water pressure and hot water. The breakfast buffet had a great assortment to choose from. Had a catered dinner one night in the hotel that left something to be desired but that was the only time other than breakfast I ate in. I was facing the main street and despite traffic which seemed to slow down about 11pm I was able to sleep very peacefully with my window open.

The staff was courteous in both the restaurant and at the front desk. Front desk staff was helpful in pointing me in the right direction and was very open to making change (this was not always the case with some of the other hotels I stayed in this trip).

Location was great. Walking distance to many of the sights and at those times I felt lazy the tram was just half a block away.

The rooms had plenty of outlets to charge any of my electrical appliances and the free wifi in the room meant I could easily use my ipad.

If and when I return to Istanbul I would definately consider staying here again

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank tobyt13
Reviewed May 21, 2011

We thought the Kent Hotel couldn't be better. We have found it of chance through the internet. We wanted to stay somewhere reasonable priced, near to attractions, clean, English speaking staff, and also has a reasonable restaurant that we could eat and not try to find a restaurant outside the hotel everynight.
All we can say that the rooms were recently refurbished, with great shower heads, clean, tastfully decorated, and very comfortable beds and good size rooms.
Breakfast is served with freshly made breads made at the promises (was told by a friendly waiter), with good selection of fresh fruit, cereal and juices, lots to choose from.

Dinner is served with a varity to choose from, Turkish food or continental. We thought the food was carefully prepared and served, service was excellent.(We felt that we had our own waiter, serving us), most of all very reasonble priced.

Kent Hotel is 5 mins walk from the Grand Bazaar and walking distance to Sultanahmet. What a great location!!! Tram is just in front of the hotel so ne need to get a taxi. The reception staff is very helpful guiding you to how to use the tram. They do speak very good English. Actually you could ask them anything you would like to find about where to go and if they don't know know the answer that soon come back to you with an answer.

All in all, I will definately stay there in my next trip and will recommend it to anyone who would like to see this beautiful city.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank robert_hsj
Reviewed May 20, 2011

The hotel has nice, large, modern rooms, a pleasant lobby bar with a friendly bartender and is conveniently located near the Grand Bazaar and most of the important sites in the old part of Istanbul. The staff was courteous and helpful. Lots of transportation right at the door to anyplace you need to go in Istanbul. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Nanette1957
Reviewed May 13, 2011

On arrival around 6 pm I was shown to a west-facing very hot room on the 5th floor with a view of the next-door hotel's roof and air-conditioning - not a bad-looking room but I didn't fancy my chances of a good sleep. I asked the porter who brought my bags and he told me there was no individual control of the air-con, so I decided to try my luck with another room (I am inclined to change my allocated room on group tours, having found that singles often get the short straw !) Was shown an internal room (319) with a plastic -grassed balcony on the central air-shaft, with aircon that I could control. Pleasant design and reasonably spacious, and the bed being around a corner from the door meant it was well insulated from the hallway - I am a very light sleeper. The hand-basin area was quite small, not much room to put out your bits and pieces, which is odd as the shower was quite large. I was promised a better room with a view the following day but as 319 was nice and quiet, no sound of traffic or the mosques at 5.30 am, I stayed put for the second night of our stay.

Breakfast was good - I particularly noted excellent bread - with a wide selection. The reception area was hideous, an extraordinary collection of styles, surprising as my room was in pleasant if rather bland international hotel mode. The hotel is in the Aksaray area, known for its cheap rag-trade wholesalers serving the former Soviet Union countries that abut Turkey. Your neighbours are likely to be gigantic and formidable buyers who devour huge platefuls each breakfast rather than other tourists. The hotel is a short distance away from the historic centre, though close to the Grand Bazaar, but is well placed for the tram that takes you to Sultanahmet and across the Golden Horn to Taksim and Beyoglu and is a god-send to tired tourists. If you are staying for several days get an Akbil.

I was pleased to find a simple-to-use safe in the room. Only when I was emptying it did I discover that it wasn't screwed to the wall or the shelf ! The staff were dumbfounded when I told them that thought to take it with me !!

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank ross39
Reviewed April 12, 2011

This hotel is across the street from the University, only five minutes from the Grand Bazaar, and only fifteen minutes from the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, and Topkati. The Doubletree and Crowne Plaza are also very close. There were four notable things about this hotel. The 'picture' over the bed is the number of the room so it is hard to forget your room number. The shower head is probably the best I have ever experienced. The windows are my favorite kind: open from the top OR the side. I wish I had this type at home. The fourth unique thing is that they have a coin-operated internet just off the bar. This is a first for me. The room does have a refrigerator but not a clock or tea/coffee making facilities. Try to meet 'Michael Douglas' who works in the bar. He makes a mean sundae.

• Stayed: March 2011
5  Thank jwjwjwjw1
Reviewed March 16, 2011

the hotel staff was always very friendly - especially the barkeeper enjoyed talking and joking with us.
our room wasn`t really big, but was always very clean. next to the hotel is a minarett with a good muezzin who is loud and wakes you every morning at 5.30. but it didn`t disturb us too much, actually we always went to sleep again after it and in the end we even liked the sound :-)
the hotel is just 10 minutes from the blue mosque and the other sights of the old city (big bazar, hagia sophia etc.)
i liked the nice atmosphere, the friendly staff and our room very much and would stay at kent hotel again!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple