“Badly managed hotel in good location.”
Review of Hotel Villa Zurich

Hotel Villa Zurich
Ranked #848 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed April 4, 2012

The location of the hotel is great, but the rest is a headache. They tried to cheat with the payment, tried to double charge us. The staff is badly trained and does not speak sufficient English. I can only want everyone to surrender credit card data to this hotel. They are not trustworthy!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mariclaire60763

Reviewed March 24, 2012

• Stayed: March 2012
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank A. G
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with 4 of my friends in February 2012, and it has caused us a lot of TROUBLE! We made our reservation through a website with my credit card, and paid the total amount in cash when we checked-in. However, the hotel didn't verify our check-in, so after our departure I received an e-mail saying that they are charging me %100 of the hotel price, because of no-show! I called them to fix this problem, but a couple of days later I noticed that they took the amount we paid AGAIN from my credit card. I'm calling them everyday to get my money back, but every time they say "ok, we'll call you tomorrow, we'll tell our accountant", but still no action.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were asked to give the money immediately when checking-in. Because I found the people at the reception rude and not-so-trustable, I asked for the invoice on the next day, but they told me that since the accountant was not there they were not able to issue.

Now, we think that they clearly plan this to rip people off. In addition to this, they have their own currency value, so when you pay turkish liras they charge you a way more than the actual price of the hotel in euros.

In short, we will never ever stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Zedling
Reviewed March 2, 2012

It was a decent place to stay; beds (even the pull-out couch) were nice enough and we felt we got a pretty good value. However the jacuzzi tubs (we booked 2 rooms for 5 people) flooded the bathrooms when the jets were turned on. The wifi ranged from slow to non-existent. ** And THEN ** --- we found out after we left that they had charged us as "no shows" (at full rates) for an additional night we booked at a discounted rate through booking.com, to the tune of over 120 euros -- which we clearly stayed for and paid in cash when we arrived.

ALSO the exchange rate they charge between euros and Turkish lires is exorbitant - 2.6 compared to market 2.2-2.3, which they only very reluctantly divulged under pressure from our Turkish friend/host.

Compared to other hotels (or even hostels) in the area I don't think this place was at all worth it... we were rushed to book so didn't have a lot of choices but in the future I certainly wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank S C
Reviewed March 1, 2012

As a non-smoker, I only have this comment to make - the rooms stink of smoke. The curtains, furniture, even the carpets smell smoky.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Isthmia
Reviewed December 29, 2011

The bed was comfortable, and the room was cosy. The location is in a nice and funky neighborhood. The wifi was spotty and worked rarely. The room had only one sliver of a window. The shower was incredibly tiny. The reception was smoky. I paid 40 Euros a night for a quick two night trip during Christmas to visit friends. It was ok.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We live in Istanbul but needed a hotel some guests to stay in. We chose Hotel Villa Zurich because it was close to our place. We went a few times to inquire into a room, and each time the service was not good at all (ex., waiting 15-30 minutes while the manager spoke on the phone, was rudely spoken to by the receptionist). The rooms were ok - some wallpaper was peeling off, the bathrooms were small...price seemed way more than what you were getting. Despite this, we booked a few nights about 1 month prior to our guests' arrival because of the location. But a week before our guests were to arrive, we see that the hotel is under total renovation! When I asked how the long the renovations would be, they informed me that it would be during our guests' stay. I said that they should have told us this, and the manager said "We would tell all our guests about this, if they ask." Um...really? So it's up to the customer/guest to ask questions like this? Lame. Needless to say we cancelled and the manager was still rude. Oh well - thank goodness we got our money back! We ended up going to the Witt Hotel and it's gorgeous!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family