“Excellent Location”

Hotel Valide Sultan Konagi
Ranked #173 of 1,160 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This boutique hotel was recommended by a friend who stays there when in Istanbul on business. It is in the Old City where all the historical sights are. Everything is in walking distance.
The staff are so friendly & accommodating. Mention must be made of Rambo, the restaurant manager; Serkon, Mahmood & Ilke on the front desk, & Faizal the bell hop.
The complimentary breakfast had something for everyone, excellent local yogurt, wonderful fruit, real honeycomb, eggs (try Rambo's special cheese omelette), breads, cereals, cold cuts & cheeses. In the evening, the mezze, followed by meatballs (Kofta) were the best we tried.
The hotel provides a complimentary transfer from the airport. A return to the airport cost 25 euros.
I would suggest that an online check in service be put in place. I was not prepared to give credit card details over the phone, & I had to make several phone calls to confirm the booking! That said, I would stay here again without question. A home away from home!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank havebagwilltravel49

Reviewed July 19, 2014

My daughter stayed at this location before and wanted to stay again when I met her in Istanbul. Amazing location next to the Hagia Sofia and view of the Bosphorus.
Lovely seating at the top for breakfast and afternoon coffee.
We liked the 3rd floor green rooms.
Great location to explore Istanbul.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is great Different color themes in rooms My daughter likes the green room
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lolth_Anna
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Unfortunately my attempts to get a room here failed, so I caution anyone from trying. There are way too many hotels in Istanbul's Sultanahmet district who can doubtless provide better service.

My experience was that I emailed the hotel directly and asked very simple questions (e.g. "Can we use the free airport transfer to go *to* the airport rather than be picked up on our arrival?") A few days later I received a response telling me 1) they'd put me down for a double room (I hadn't asked for a room type) and 2) they would reserve it for me if I would please email my credit card information to them. They did not answer any of my questions.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and replied again reiterating my questions and have yet to receive a response. After reading dozens of reviews for other properties all over Turkey this lack of customer service was surprising. I was also uncomfortable with being asked to email my credit card info - their website can take secure credit card information and make a reservation, so emailing it seems at best careless and at worst suspicious. This is Istanbul after all, not a yurt in Mongolia.

We'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2014

The hotel was perfectly located, in a few steps from the door, we arrived at Topkapi palace entrance. Sultanahmet Park is very easy walk from there. It is not in the street where all the hotels and cafes are located, but with 5 minutes walking. So we don't have all the noises.. especially with all the cafes having FIFA World cup live at the time we were there (June 27 - 30, 2014), but with all the conveniences. Just behind the hotel is a Chinese Restaurant (Chang Cheng) which makes this hotel a good choice for Indonesian or Asian tourist.. everyone knows the crave of white rice !
the breakfast was super, all nice warm food, bread, cereal, fruits, and even cakes.. and the view to the sea from the breakfast room is unbeatable. everything was very enjoyable!

All these will not mean anything if it wasn't for the hospitality of the staff, from the front office to the restaurant staff.. this hotel is perfect choice for us, and the price is good, too.

Room Tip: Corner room was large and have a view to the sea. There is space enough for 2 people doing Shalat in...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Astrida W
Reviewed July 2, 2014

My friend and I spent the past 8 days staying at this bijou property bang in the heart of the Old city of Istanbul.
From our arrival to our departure yesterday the service we received was second to none! We were upgraded to an apartment located next door to the hotel, as my friend wanted us to have separate rooms, and the hotel didn't have any available single rooms as they were fully booked! The apartment had air con, and a fabulous housekeeping service too. We had a balcony and TV. it was like being in one's home, only better!
The reception staff, Mahmud, Circan and Elkey were marvelous, helping us every step of the way during our stay. And Faisal, the bellboy couldn't have been kinder or more helpful.
But I need to give a special mention to the restaurant. Rambo, the maitre d' and Hassan the waiter gave a service that is second to none. They are the best restaurant staff I have ever encountered, and as a travel photographer I travel far and wide, as you can imagine! Their kindness, care and attention to detail is epic. The food too was far far better than many restaurants we went to, and their breakfast is simply the best!
In general, I cannot recommend this hotel enough. Best of all though is the location. The hotel is right next to all the major attractions in the Old City, and even going a little further afield is simply a cheap taxi ride away.
Next time you are in Istanbul, do stay at this hotel.....you won't regret it I promise you!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was an incredible hotel and we could not have been happier. If I ever go back to Istanbul, I won't stay anywhere else. The view from the terrace at the restaurant is breathtaking. Rambo and his staff do a wonderful job in the restaurant. They do a fabulous job with the presentation of the breakfast and Rambo had such a great personality. We enjoyed seeing him everyday. We were sad to say goodbye. Also, the location of this hotel can't be beat. The Topkapi Palace is right up the hill and I had a clear view of the Hagia Sophia from my bed. From my bed! It was fantastic. The location could not be better and the staff was wonderful. The guy that checked us in was so helpful and friendly. I could not have been more impressed with this hotel. I hope to be back ASAP!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights when we stopped in Istanbul while returning from a visit to Europe and we couldn't have chosen a better place! It is about 30 minutes' drive from the airport. Taking a taxi would cost you somewhere around 40-50 Turkish Lira (depending on traffic). The hotel also offers one free transfer (from/to the airport) if you are staying 3 nights or more. For us, it was more convenient to use the return transfer rather than search for the driver at the busy and crowded arrival hall of Istanbul airport.

A small hotel wih few rooms, but what a location! Literally across the Topkapi palace, this means that all the attractions of Istanbul are within walking distance! The staff are simply great. Always there to greet you and try and help you out. The room we got on the 2nd floor was a bit small, but had a good view.

But nothing can beat the view from the breakfast terrace on the 4th floor. You have gorgeous sea view on one side and from other sides, the domes of both the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque are visible, givng you the perfect falvour of Istanbul! Shopping, eateries, everything is just around the corner! You can also take the winding (but rather steep) street down to the sea side.

Anytime I come back to Istanbul - I won't look for any other place!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple