“So much fun at the Pudding Shop”
Review of The Pudding Shop

The Pudding Shop
Ranked #7 of 442 Nightlife in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: When it opened in 1957, the Pudding Shop was a gathering place and information center for travelers heading across Europe and Asia. Today, this city landmark offers food and drink to tourists and locals.
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We just returned from 15 nights in Istanbul and we grew to love stopping off at the Pudding Shop after a long day of touring beautiful Istanbul. We ate there 5 times. It was so much fun sitting in the front, and watching the people go by. We loved all of the food in the city, but after a few days we were looking for some protein. I had their salmon 4 times and it was wonderful. The people were full of personality. They appreciated how much we loved their place and we enjoyed every minute there. The only thing I would say is, when they bring you the French style bread in the basket, turn it away and tell them you want the pita bread and yogurt tziziki style sauce, delicious. Also a good place for a tall, cold Efes beer.

There are newer reviews for The Pudding Shop

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Had the shrimp casserolle which was really spicy, tasty and lots of flavours. Along with that came complimentary bread so it was more enough to eat. The portions where large, so I didn't finish neither the casserolle or the bread. When finishing - our waiter picked up the bread and left it back in basket for new customers..... Couldn't help thinking about my casserolle covered in grilled cheese on top.... However, probably just the bread, nothing else.. Plus for helpful, smiling waiters.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Had Lunch here and the food was good not the cheapest around but good. After lunch we were going to head in to the newer part of the city to Ikea and need some help finding it... they spent time with us planning out a route via the trams and underground trains. Got us there with easy! Good little stop.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Because we'd heard so many fun stories from a friend who used to hang out at The Pudding Shop some 35-40 years ago, my girlfriend and I decided to give it a try. I ordered a beef kebab that was mediocre at best. There was a lovely photo of the plate above the counter beside the kitchen, but what I received was a much smaller portion, the meat was nearly as dry as jerky and fatty, the fries that came with it cold and gross, and the rolls crappy. It was a lousy plate, but I fared much better than my girlfriend. She ordered a spinach-and-cheese dish that was so salty it was inedible for both of us (I tend to like salt more than most people, but the sky's the limit and this plate had enough salt in it to break through to outer space). Susan also had a garbanzo bean soup, which was salty more than anything else. I ordered hummus to add moisture to the beef kebab and received some of the worst hummus I've had in a long time. This is one of those places that should have gone away soon after it's heyday, instead of living on celebrity from bygone days while offering completely forgettable fare. Worse than forgettable; it was really dreadful.

1  Thank Scott D
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Servers not helpful as they have limited grasp of English (almost none). The kebabs felt passable at best i wouldn't eat it again unless there was a gun to my head. Rates are surprisingly high! Don't go if you have limited time in Istanbul and can't afford to waste precious time for a good experience.