“my point of view”
Review of The Pudding Shop

The Pudding Shop
Ranked #6 of 444 Nightlife in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: When it opened in 1957, the Pudding Shop was a gathering place and information center for travelers heading across Europe and Asia. Today, this city landmark offers food and drink to tourists and locals.
Reviewed January 5, 2013

the service was terrible and the prices were higher than in similar locations.
although listed in all guides as a location of meeting for foreign travellers, the atmosphere is boring and usual

1  Thank Delia S

Reviewed December 29, 2012

After hearing many good things about this restaurant, I decided to check it out. It was underwhelming at best. The staff was relatively kind, but they attempted to milk as much money as they possibly could from us tourists. They had included the 10% service charge, but left it unmarked. They feigned confusion when we asked about what the charge was, although they spoke perfect english throughout the meal. The food was strictly average. The history was interesting, but was not evident in the restaurant, save for a few black-and-whites of hippies getting stoned. However, I will admit that there was something in the restaurant I did enjoy. The chocolate pudding was incredible. In fact, if you are going to go to this restaurant, just get the pudding! This alone cannot save the restaurant in the end.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stopped by this place after sightseeing around SultanAhmet. We got greeted by this older gentleman who landed up being our server. The server was extremely rude. I got yelled at for looking at the menu because he wanted to explain vegetarian options to me. Does that mean I don't get to take a look at the menu for drinks/dessert? The servers here are in need of serious customer service training. They treat customers with a lot of disrespect. We noticed it on our table as well as the table next to us. Definitely spoiled our dinner plans. The food wasn't all that great. We got one tiny little eggplant with onions and tomatoes on it and it cost us 10TL! Another dish was 6-8 slices of fried eggplant with 4-6 tiny peppers and that was for 8 TL. Total rip off! Please don't promote this place. Only reason it is surviving is due to its location. The Hafiz Mustafa is a great place next door for dessert and coffee. So much nicer! Wish they served food too!

2  Thank LovetoTravel_Dee
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My how times change!

The only thing that was 'alternative' here is the standard of the menu. It is pretty basic and the food standards are similar - very bland!

Service was good and staff try their best with recommendations but they need to give away the photo menu and go Turkish - which would certainly be alternative in the very touristic Sultanahmet precinct.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I enjoyed my meal but it did not wow me. Like a cafeteria in a way. Someone explains each dish on display. You tell him what you want and they bring it to your table. Our guide took us there. For some reason he did not explain the dishes we saw on the way in. Anyway we all enjoyed our meals but it is not someplace i feel the need to seek out if i return.

1  Thank chgofilmfan