“Excellent hotel in excellent location”
Review of Hotel Sari Konak

Hotel Sari Konak
Ranked #159 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Just returned from six days in Istanbul at the Hotel Kari Sonak. This is a wonderful hotel in a fabulous location on a relatively quiet street just below the Blue Mosque. All of the Sultanahmet sites are within easy walking distance. Room rate included free transfer from Ataturk Airport and breakfast. Rooftop breakfast room has views of the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. Superior room was very nice, clean and reasonable size. The staff was professional, attentive and very helpful with advice. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above ground level in the front of the hotel. Avoid the rooms below ground level. Ask...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peter K
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sari Konak

Reviewed October 11, 2013

The hotel is in a beautiful locaiton a very short walk to the Blue Mosque. The rooftop terrace is beautiful for breakfast or a drink. It is definitely worth paying the smaller increase to stay in the larger rooms as these are very spacious, window street view and new facilities. We arrived during the end of Ramadan but everyone was very friendly, the hotel staff made great restaurant recommendations and we would recommend the hotel to anyonne.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lexjade677
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The positives - located in Sultanahmet, close to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and Topkapi Palace. Easy walk to the tram from where you can get most everywhere. Charming rooftop garden with views of Blue Mosque and Bosphorus. Excellent breakfast in roof garden. Very friendly, helpful staff.

The negatives -- small standard room. Unlike the quite lovely delux room in which we stayed before, the standard room we stayed in this time was quite spare (nothing on wall, no chest in which to unpack, broken flip top garbage can, etc. Although there was a sign advising guests not to drink the water, no bottled water was provided. Also, there was mold in the shower.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank polarbell
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The Sari Konak is located in the Sultanahmet neighborhood - and I feel like when trying to figure out where to the stay - it's always confusing if you've never been before. This location offers easy access to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Basilica Cistern, Topkapi Palace - all sites you will want to see if visiting Istanbul and the rest of the city is an easy walk from here. Great central location. From the rooftop, you have great views of the Bosphorus River and the Blue Mosque.

The B&B itself was fairly nice. Clean. Friendly staff. Has a nice Turkish charm about it. We stayed in one of the family sweets - which was nice because I was staying with my aunt - so we each had our own room. Rooms were large and spacious with great sun light. No complaints about the room except we had issues with wifi in the room the whole trip - had to go to the lobby for it to work (or the rooftop).

The breakfast was decent for any place - fruit, cheeses, nuts, eggs, meat, yogurt, coffee, tea, juice - in the warmer months, they serve it on the rooftop. I believe the serve it in the outdoor garden/downstairs in the winter. The staff is the best, friendly and great at remembering if you take coffee or tea in the morning.

My only complaint was the airport pickup and drop off. They forgot to tell whoever was picking me up - so I had to ask 2 gentlemen picking up other people to help me, which they were very kind and friendly, to finally have someone come up about 30 minutes later and when they came to pick me up - they had my name spelled incorrectly Kriston Orris - not my name but close enough I figure it had to be me. Not 100% sure what was going on but it was late at night (almost midnight) so I went with it. Ended up it just fine but not exactly the way I had envisioned my entrance into Istanbul. And on my way back to the airport - I had to leave at 3:30 for a 5am flight - I am pretty sure the guy was falling asleep behind the wheel. I seriously buckled up thinking we were going to hit something (mind you it's super early in the morning - so not too many things to hit on the road but we managed to get close to a few curbs.) Fortunately again, I made it safely to the airport. They might want to look into their car service - not that they aren't nice - just not a solid experience. But wouldn't let this detour you for staying at the hotel.

If I go back to Istanbul - I would definitely consider staying in this hotel. Also, they offer 10% discount if you pay cash. Good deal.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank GoGlobalTravel
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The hotel is located in the popular Sultan Ahmet district within easy walking distance of Hagia Sophia, Sultan Ahmet Mosque, and Topkapi Palace. Walk just one short block -- 250 feet or so -- and you come to a cross street which has numerous restaurants and bars for two blocks length.

I had booked a Standard room. The room was the size of a closet, the bathroom being only slightly larger than the room itself. Moreover, the A/C was definitely not performing well. When I reported the A/C problem, the manager promptly upgraded us to a Superior room which was actually on the lowest level in the entire hotel located one level below the hotel entrance and at the end of long meandering hallway. This was a basement room which had windows near the ceiling facing the sidewalk! Not only was the room much larger, the amenities were much better and it was much quieter and afforded much more privacy. The bed was supportive, the bathroom was modern and spacious (unusual in Europe in general and Turkey in particular.) And the A/C worked very well. We felt like we had our own private corner of the hotel.

It was very nice of the manager to upgrade us to this room for no extra charge. He just wanted us to be satisfied with our stay. I highly recommend the Superior rooms over the Standard rooms. They are definitely worth the small difference price. I would imagine this particular room would also be cooler during the hotter summer times. We will be requesting this specific room when we go back.

The rooftop area overlooks the Sultan Ahmet (Blue) Mosque on one side and a charming street on the other. It is on this rooftop that a breakfast buffet is set up each morning. Having coffee and breakfast within views of this ancient and beautiful structure is truly amazing. It is also so quiet and peaceful there. The breakfast buffet is not large but has lots of Turkish delicacies (jams, olives, cheeses, fruits, etc.) in addition to standard things like cereal that most westerners would like.

In the evening the rooftop serves as a bar, again, a peaceful place to relax and be mesmerized under the views of the now-lighted mosque.

The cobblestone streets around the hotel do not really wake up until after 9:30 am which is why this district is ideal to stay especially if you want to sleep in late. I would go out to run around 8 am, jogging by mostly-closed stores and only a few store owners unlocking their front doors. Jogging around Sultan Ahmet and Hagia Sophia with NO ONE in sight is an unusual sight as these areas and the adjacent shopping areas are normally crowded with tourists and locals.

The front desk staff was always ready to help us in any way they could, be it delivering an iron and board, making dining reservations, calling a cab, or giving directions to nearby attractions. The ladies serving tea and coffee and replenishing breakfast items were sweet and hardworking. Everywhere was kept clean and tidy. Housekeeping was timely and did their jobs well.

We greatly enjoyed our stay and would happily go back to Sari Konak the next time we are in Istanbul. It is a very nice place to stay to escape from the hustle and bustle of the city in the evening, whether in your quiet room or the peaceful rooftop.

We are thankful to everyone at Sari Konak for making our stay so satisfying.

Room Tip: The Superior room in the basement affords roominess and privacy. Highly recommended for romantic co...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank texashillcountryman
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is an old ottoman mansion turned boutique hotel just steps away from the Arasta bazaar in Sultanahmet. It is an easy walk from the hotel to all the key sights in the old district. The rooftop deck has a lovely view of the Blue Mosque in one direction and the Sea of Marmara in the other. In good weather breakfast is served up on the deck and it is also terrific to relax with a glass of wine and admire the view after a day of sightseeing. There are plenty of restaurants and shops nearby. The rooms are a bit small but very clean and the staff is quite accommodating.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ziggy R
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Great location, friendly staff ,excellent rooms and a wonderful rooftop serving a great breakfast with the best views. We spent 4nights and loved every minute...easy walking distance to all major attractions, great atmosphere and restaurants nearby....couldnt get any better and glad we chose this location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends