“Not worth it”

and up
Full-Day City Tour of Istanbul with Lunch
Ranked #13 of 232 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: One of several Turkish baths in the city, the same architect responsible for the Blue Mosque designed this one.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I should have read some recent reviews before heading out there. I went there early morning (it is open from 6am to midnight). It is conveniently located on the tram stop. I had the luxury of the entire Hamam to myself and thought I would not be rushed since there was no one else there. I was totally wrong as their service was very disappointing and waste of money and time. I spent 20 minutes on the hot marble (which is my opinion is nothing different than modern day sauna) after which a guy gave me a quick bath that included scrub and an overdose of soap. There was minimum massage, although I bought the package that included 15 minute of massage. Very disappointed. Do it only if you are one of those who want to experience it since it is once in a lifetime opportunity. There is no other reason that can justify this trip. Other than that you can skip it. The facility was clean but very expensive. The bath and the massage was nothing to talk about. You can spend this money in a modern spa and feel more relaxed.

7  Thank fromvirginia
Write a ReviewReviews (1,473)
All reviews
in 306 reviews
"soap"
in 115 reviews

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Was such an interesting experience I did not know what to expect especially after reading some comments on here. I went with an open mind and was really great. They usher you in you change and proceed into the sauna like main area and lay on the middle hot marble slab. Sweating it out for about 15 mins. The man then came in and rubbed me down then bubble washed then exfoliated my whole body and then final rinse. After this I went into another room and experienced a terrific oil massage for 30 mins. A shower and then change. Whole session went for approx 90 mins but you can stay longer in the sauna part. But I had had enough. A truly wonderful experience especially being in such an environment dating back to originally 1584!!
I would certainly recommend this experience!!!! Was only 127 TL plus I gave my masseurs and wash man a tip of 10 TL each.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

It says 45TL at the entry, but 50TL when you pay. I asked the woman at the counter about the price difference and she said something about it including the tip so that was that. I didn't experience any tip-asking-harassment, but we (3 women) didn't use any other services other than basic entry either.

Entry fee gives you a small bar of soap (plenty for one visit) and a pair of panties. You'll get a locker for your personal items, a thinner towel to wrap around yourself, and sandals. Fluffy/terrycloth bath towels seem to be free for the taking (for use on site) just before entry into the central bath area itself.

Personally the experience was probably about a 3 star rating, because I'm more accustomed to Asian bath houses where the scrubs are pretty vigorous (they do those right in the open at Cemberlitas and I tried to observe without being a creepy starer) and the multiple temp baths. Still, this was a nice experience and it was worth the price and I got everything I wanted out of it. Facilities were tidy and clean, and the employees were friendly and helpful without being intrustive. No complaints here.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Wow, this was an experience!

My wife and I were not sure what to expect, but were both happy we did it. I've never felt so clean!

We both got the traditional bath with the 30 minute oil massage.

You go off to a separate area, where they give you a towel that looks a little like a tea towel, but a little larger. Doning just the towel and some rubber thongs you head down to this domed room and lay down on hot stone slab. The room is quite amazing.

The guys working there don't speak that much english, but with some pointing and broken english you work out what you need to do.

I lay on the hot stone for 20 minutes or so to get your sweat on. The attendant takes a loofah and scrubs you down quite vigorously. He then takes this cloth that looks like a pillow case which is all soaped up and washes you.

I then walked to the side and he poured a few buckets of warm water over me to remove all the soap. I was then ushered into another room where you get another soaping and scrub down (head, back, chest and legs). You get drenched in water again and then dried.

I was given a replacement towel and went into another room for the massage. I'm not a big fan of a male massaging me, but this was one of the best I've ever had. If you go, definitely get the massage! I then had a warm shower and got dressed back into my clothes.

The experience is quite full on, but to enjoy it you just have to go with the flow.

The only negative was the hassling by the attendants for tips. After getting scrubbed I was told a number of times to come back down after getting changed with a tip. So after you get changed and head downstairs a bunch of guys are waiting there staring at you in anticipation. It didn't annoy me too much, but would have been a better experience without this hassling.

1  Thank Hocksta
See more reviews
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Per most of the reviews, this place is really not worth a visit unless you really want to try out a Hamam and you're in Istanbul for only a few short days. The facility itself inside the female section anyway is beautiful. For that it deserved a comment. Lying on the big marble slap and admiring the beautiful dome was the highlight of my visit. It was simply beautiful. That was the most relaxing and the highlight of my visit. The rest of it was very ordinary. We went during a rainy day and early in the morning. Therefore we managed to avoid the massive tourist crowd. However, the service was still ordinary. It was rather quick and honestly I didn't think it lasted more then 15mins, probably much less. The spa after was ok, again it was in a lovely beautiful setting. Other then that, I thought it was mostly waste of money and time. You're better of going to a Hamam outside of Istanbul and find one that is mainly visited by the locals. And yes those ones are normally attended and serviced by men.