“Don't go there”

and up
Full-Day City Tour of Istanbul with Lunch
Ranked #5 of 132 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: One of several Turkish baths in the city, the same architect responsible for the Blue Mosque designed this one.
Santa Barbara, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Don't go there”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I had a much better experience in another Turkish bath, it is why I decided to go to a second one. I've found not very receptive, noisy, disorganized and not so clean. The scrub and soap was super fast. Did a facial mask in a waiting room where everybody would pass and see me with that on my face, every time someone would go in or out of the bath the door would bang, not very relaxing.
Suleymanie Hanami was my first experience, and it was Amazing!!!!!

Visited May 2013

63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Manage your expectations”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Look, manage your expacations here and you won't have a bad experience. You are stepping out of a normal comfort zone here to experience the tradition. This isn't a 5 star spa so if you don't expect it to be you will enjoy it. It was quite an awkward experience to say the least, but I don't think this is because of anything other than it's not what you are used to. I don't think the staff was particulary friendly, but than again I don't think it would be much different at any other hamam. I think this is part of the experience and I only say that because when in there I was talking to local woman who were in there enjoying the service and not tourists. I for one thought it was really interesting, and I saw lots of dead skin removed and felt squeaky clean after a long day of exploring the city and came out relaxed. An experience that was worth it because I won't be able to experience in very many other places.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank GinaTravels18
Albinea, Italy
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“I was expecting a bit more”
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We've been there on Sunday morning to avoid the crowd. The place is very nice, not very touristic even if only tourists were there. Spent 51 eur for scrubbing, bath and oil massage. They provide everything. If one registers on internet gets discount. the scrubbing was not deep and too quick, furthermore they try to get tip all the time, a bit annoying..
Tried the barber shop inside, 11 eur to cut and 7 eur to shave. It could be cheaper in other parts of the city.

47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Quite pricey but an experience none the less”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

At €30 for what is essentially a sauna and a massage it isn't cheap but I think it's something the should definitely be done.There are other bathes which may be cheaper (I saw one in kadikoy for 40) so do your research.The experience which takes 1hour (need to allow time for cool down) starts with lying on a hot marble then your masseuse roughing up your skin then washing you down and massaging you from head to toe, the €30 price gives you 15mins. Then it's off for another shampoo/wash and massage in a second room followed by a shower. Finally you head back up to your cubicle (which you leave your belongings in to begin with) to change and cool down which is especially important in the warmer months as you come out very dehydrated.Don't forget to tip your masseuse but make sure you give it to him personally otherwise they don't get a cut.

Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
137 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Interesting experience”
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Wasn't sure what to expect; chose Cemberlitas because it was close to my hotel. I went at around 9pm after a long day of walking and a quick dinner.
When you enter, you pay for the level of service you want - I went with the 'Traditional' which is a wash & scrub. They gave me a yellow plastic tile and a pouch with underwear and scrub mitt inside, the tile was handed over to an attendant who will be washing you.
Women and men are separate. I headed upstairs to change, there are lockers for your belongings. I suggest you bring your own bathing suit, this way you can keep your modesty without wearing the provided underwear. After a shower I went into the bathing room. I handed over my tile to one of the ladies working there and he pouch with the mitt. I was told to lay down on the central raised platform. It's very warm, relaxing and I was ready to nap. After 15-20 minutes the attendant came back and gave me a dry scrub with the mitt, then a foamy wash and then a hair wash by a sink. They rinse you by throwing buckets of warm water over you. After this there's also a couple of small pools with warm water that you can soak in. My attendant spoke little English but gestures are enough to understand what to do next. She was very nice and friendly. Altogether give yourself about an hour.
I've been to a jjimjilbang in Seoul and this is not as thorough a scrub but I still felt squeaky clean and relaxed after my experience. Recommended if you have the time during a stay in Istanbul.

Visited April 2013