“Just bad and unpleasant”
Review of Cemberlitas Hamami

and up
Full-Day City Tour of Istanbul with Lunch
Ranked #6 of 135 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: One of several Turkish baths in the city, the same architect responsible for the Blue Mosque designed this one.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We are hammam enthusiasts and this was just one of the worst experiences ever. The overall thing is aimed at a tourist crowd, you step in and you get into a production chain, where you are bounced from one stage to another by not too nice attendants telling you what to do and where to go. Simply they move you from the steam area to the scrub, to the massage zone, and there is little you can do to avoid being a piece in the production line. They even order you to the shower room after massage and you can understand why, as there is a line at the entrance of people waiting to enter. A quick turnaround is therefore essential for the business. You line-up semi naked with a bunch of tourists outside the massage room and then you get a very standard, very impersonal and very superficial massage. In my case, I booked 1 hour and I received 40 minutes massage. When I complained they wanted to give me a voucher for 20 minutes 9as if you want to get back there…). Overall hygiene and cleanness are questionable (we visit tens of hammams a year all over the world so we have some benchmark), bathroom was disgusting, attitude is rude and dry and you just have this unpleasant feeling of being treated as a tourist in the tourist kingdom.

1  Thank Roberto370

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I went with 2 other women, we all loved the experience at this Hamami. It's a beautiful building, very calming experience. My guide book discouraged splurging on the extra massage service, but all three of us did it and Loved it! The women did a fantastic massage. The scrub was nice, but quite quick and a little careless. Otherwise, the whole experience was a big highlight for me. I have been to 2 other Hamamis and enjoyed this one the most

Reviewed April 26, 2013

This was my first Turkish bath, and quite an experience. My husband and I chose this hammami for two reasons: its history, and there are separate accommodations for women and men. Other bath houses offer women-only or men-only, but at different times of the day. At this hammimi, they have separate quarters for men and women, so we were able to visit at the same time. The only thing I had trouble adjusting to (and admittedly, this is my own hang-up) is that as a modest person, it was embarrassing having to be practically naked in front of other women. But if you don't mind that sort of thing, or if you can tell yourself (as I did) that you will never see these people again, then you'll be fine. Once I got over that, I enjoyed the experience a lot more. Nothing can ever prepare you for laying there on that hot marble stone, looking up at the domed ceiling, and realizing that women in the royal harem shared this same spot hundreds of years ago. Go well-hydrated and plan a lazy afternoon following your bath so you can linger in the afterglow of the experience. I didn't know we would feel so relaxed and almost sleepy afterward. Do treat yourself to freshly squeezed pomegranate juice in the lobby afterward and buy some soaps to take home, so the scent will remind you of your hammimi experience.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I visited this hamam twice, in separate trips and loved the experience - it is really a package deal, sort of speak - the historic building, the ambiance, the marble stage, water fountains and bubble treatment, it's all a part of taking some time off and pampering yourself thoroughly, head to toe. I went for the whole thing both times: both visits were enjoyable, yet the second one was by far better. Maybe it had to do with the amount of other people there: the first time was packed, which apparently effected the ladies who work there, as the second time there were not more than 20 women around and I felt that the woman who washed me (over 20 min!) as well as the masseuse really put their heart in it. It might had something to do with the day or just a coincidence, but for the record, my first visit was on a Thursday and the second on a friday, both times around 7 pm. I still smile when I think of those wonderful hours - wish we would have had such joyful establishments back home :-)

Reviewed April 25, 2013

After lots of research and talking to locals it was agreed this was the best hammam. ladies get black bikini bottoms to wear! No idea what the men have!! The hot room is stunningly atmospheric. The process is - lie on the marble to heat up until a woman throws water at you. Then you sucumb to her scrubbing you - don't be offended by watyer being thrown over you from a bucket! Once rinsed off you are sent to theh jacuzzi and are free to visit the cool froom or have an extra treatment. Keep your tokens safe and don't worry about tipping. You can do it at the end in a little wooden box by the exit.