Book In Advance

More Info
from $87.86
More Info
1,531 results
All reviews oil massage turkish bath marble slab hot marble traditional package bubble wash dead skin men and women disposable underwear authentic experience turkish lira scrub soap lockers hair panties mitt
Selected filters
Reviewed November 27, 2011

In Istanbul, especially in the Europian side there are 4 main Turkish Bath. One of them is Cemberlitas. It is very historical but became touristic and no real bath atmosphere. During Ottoman period it used to be a real Turkish Bath but now lots of tourists are going there and the people there only looking for a tip. Once you get inside the bath, the attendent who will massage to you starts to tell you hard to get a tip from tourists. ( this is for the turkish people ) For the tourists they only do the massage they only dabble in your massage and finish it in a very short way. Then they go out and starts to wait for their tip. If you are looking for a real Turkish Bath then you should stay away from the touristic ones..

Date of experience: November 2011
Reviewed November 21, 2011

A very comfortable place to go. I went by myself, and I really spent 2 lovely couple of hours there, scrubbing myself and sweating! It's very big, and has many little rooms with fantastic marble fountains, from which you can mix water at different temperature. the massage was not the best you can get, so if you give it a miss you may save some money.

1  Thank cinzia03
Reviewed November 8, 2011

This historic place is spoiled by the commercial operator. Heritage conservation is not maintained in the waiting and changing area. It is a chaos of mass massacures in random without professionalism. Massae room is horrible. In short try other place although it is listed. Costly but poor service. IT IS GOOD ONLY BY VIRTUE OF TRADITIONAL METHOD NOT THE PLACE.

Reviewed November 8, 2011

I don't post reviews but felt compelled to do so for this place. The traditional Turkish massage was a complete tourist trap - 5 mins of slipshod scrubbing for 29 EUR. Plus I spotted 2 bugs crawling around the perimeter of the jacuzzi!

Anywhere else could do better than this.

Too bad for me as I didn't bother to check out reviews beforehand. You have been warned.

1  Thank debswee
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My husband and I decided upon Cemberlitas since it's the oldest Turkish hammam in Istanbul. Important note- you do not need an appointment for this particular hammam. Many others you do, so I would check it out in advance!

You walk down the stairs in to the hammam and must select your package. The package options are:
1) relaxing in the hammam
2) relaxing in the hammam with a scrub
3) relaxing in the hammam with a scrub and massage
I can't remember the exact prices, but we chose option number 2 and it was about $70 US each.

We paid our money and had to go our separate ways- women to one side, men to the other. (Note: There are couples hammams in Turkey that we found out about later so look into that if you don't want to go it alone!).

First you go to a changing area upstairs where you get panties (yes the men get panties too) and a turkish towel to wrap around yourself, and locker to put your items in while you're in the bath. Don't worry, the towel is plenty big to cover yourself (although if modesty is your thing, this might not be the place for you).

Second, you go downstairs and hand your ticket to the attendants who lead you to the hot stone within the hammam. They take your towel and lay it on the hot rock and you lie down and relax among all the other mostly naked ladies; again if you're modest, not the place for you! They will have you relax for a while and start sweating and then eventually (if you've ordered a scrub), one of the attendants (of all shapes and sizes, but all women, and all in black bikinis), will come over and soap you up and down, flip you over, and do the same. The scrub is certainely very thorough and rough. My husband said he felt like play-do in his attendants hands...but in a good way.

They also wash your hair and once you are done, the ladies can go in the hot tub. My husband says there wasn't a hot tub on the guys side. You can relax in the hammam as long as you like. Then we came out to change and you can also grab a drink or some snacks.

All in all an amazing and authentic experience...at least in our opinion!

We didn't get the massage, but if you do, that's outside the hammam in what looked like a semi-private room.

1  Thank coupleoftravelers2