“I found a RAT in my room!!!!”
Review of Sogut Hotel

Sogut Hotel
Ranked #989 of 1,141 Hotels in Istanbul
Bournemouth
“I found a RAT in my room!!!!”
Reviewed June 24, 2008

I arrived at the Sogut to a room facing some kind of public building that had huge air conditioners running day and night which made such horrible constant noise that I could hardly sleep. To my dismay on the second day I found a rat under my bed, I ran through the corridors in disbelief and when I went to speak to the manager she just would not understand or didn't want to, a word I was saying in English.
Do not go to this place, it's nasty!"

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — everything - this is horrible - there was a RAT in my Room!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Candidgirlie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
thessaloniki
Reviewed July 29, 2007

We had a wonderful time at Sogut Hotel. It´s a nice option offering cleanliness and comfort. Mr Guneri(the front office manager) and Mrs.Cigdem are the kind of people you want to meet in a foreign country: helpful, friendly and efficient.Also the room was clean and comfortable, good breakfast, and the location was perfect, close to many places to shop and eat, and walking distance to the convention center. The staff was helpful whenever needed. And they even have a lovely hammam and sauna. Whatelse do you need?

• Liked — the hotel itself
  • Disliked — so many russian speaking guests.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Saint Louis, MO
Reviewed July 19, 2007

The dark secret about this hotel is that it is directly opposite the huge City Hall in Istanbul, and that building runs the most massive air conditioners I've ever seen (classic Crane Company multiple-fan cooling units, presumably from America), These make such a terrible noise -- such a high-pitched, piercing drone -- that you feel like you are bedded down at the end of an airport runway. To top it off, that 24-hour-a-day din is mixed during the day with a heavy drone of careening cars on one of the city's major arteries, less than a block away. The result is, quite simply, that you can't open a window, day or night. So...only if you're someone who can sleep sealed up with a cold and capricious air conditioner breezing right over your head, will you be comfortable in this hotel. I've read the other reviews, and can only concur that the reception-staff on duty while I was there were the least pleasant and helpful people in that position, that I've ever encountered in an international hotel. When I tried to change rooms (to get a bit away from the noise), they blithly tried to more-than-double my room-rates (for the same sized room), and skillfully obscured the whole exchange by steadfastly refusing to speak or understand any English. The rooms were adequate, so long as you don't need to watch TV (nice-looking flatscreen TV mounted in the wall, but no controller available), and you bring your own soaps (none were provided).

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

birmingham
Reviewed January 17, 2007

we stayed in this hotel from 11th till the 18th of january 2007. the hotel was very clean and tidy. The breakfast provided was healthy and fresh. all the staff at the hotel were quick to respond to our queries and dealt with any arising problem in a very professional way.

marks out of 10= 10

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank siddharth707
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed December 6, 2006

I see here as previews about the hotel some negative comments. When we stayed there we were lucky to have a nice room. It is possible that service problems at the reception continue.
The location is not the best in the Old Istanbul. This hotel is located in a side street. As long as you pay a reasonable price , this hotel may be advised.

Stayed November 2005
3 Thank tourtoturkey
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed November 26, 2006

This was an awful thing I loved the city to bits but this hotel is horrible dont stay there its also quite dirty and the food is disgusting and very expensive. there is one person I came across who speaks (bad) english. The staff is also quite rude and management is the worst I came across in my life.
Piece of advice don't even bother.

• Liked — are you joking
  • Disliked — the manager a rude woman with no manners
  • Tips/Secrets — yes avoid it like the plague
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank goodtimes71
UK
Reviewed November 8, 2006

I stayed at this hotel this month and was extremely disappointed with the "service" I was given.
to start with only one receptionist speaks English. everyone else including the manager can't communicate with you.
I got mugged in Istanbul and my cash and debit card was taken. I had my credit card in the hotel and thought of using it to pay for the minibar. But I didn't know the PIN so the manager threatened to throw me out if I didn't pay there and then. She hung up the phone on me when I called her to explain.
Thanks to the girl in reception I wasn't thrown out in the street but they kept my mobile phone which I haven't been sent back to.
They also advertise as having free hamman for residents. This is not true. You have to pay 20USD for that.

Do not stay at this place. I do not anyone going through the same.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything staff cold breakfast location
  • Tips/Secrets — dont' go to istanbul but if you do stay in sultanahmet the tourist location
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo