“Worth to visit if you have time”
Review of Rumeli Fortress

Rumeli Fortress
Ranked #51 of 1,159 things to do in Istanbul
More attraction details
Owner description: This three-towered fortress was built in 1452 on the Bosphorus to protect the narrow waterway from advancing ships.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Though a bit far from city centre, not difficult to find by taking bus from Kabatus, must use stored value card as the bus does not accept cash or plastic coin as you bought for the Metro, many helpful bus drivers will help you how to get there and ask other passenger to pay for you, so you will feel the hospitality of Turkish.
The fortress is magnificent even if you watch on the boat or walking inside, you can walk to the highest part to see the beautiful scenery of the Bosporus Harbour, if you dare, as the steps only has one side with castle wall while another side is a steep slope if you fall, you will die. I saw some youngsters walk up and hanging half-way and need to walk back. Some dare to go up and sit on the margin of the castle wall which is 10-15 floor high...
After coming out from the fortress, there is a beautiful seafront walkaway, it is romantic and comfortable with sea breeze, sea gull, hawkers.. can have a slow walk back, there are many sea view restaurants/cafe along the road, you can slowly enjoy your life.

3  Thank RAY L
in 7 reviews
"structure"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Amazing Fortress on the European side of Istanbul along the Bosphorus River next to the famous Bosphorus Bridge which connects Asia and Europe. You will always see this while on the Bosphorus Cruise but we managed to stop here for a few minutes to have a look around and this old castle is simply stunning

2  Thank TopKingofKings
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is the site where my husband and I realized that the ADA is definitely an American thing. The fortress was beautiful and oozed history, but I would have been a basket case if we had visited with little ones. The stairs were steep and hand-rail free. One missed step and splat! I could just picture teachers trying to corral children to keep them from climbing (and falling) from the edges of the fortress to the ground below. Although a little scary from the "mom perspective", I loved sitting in the fortress shaded by the beautiful trees and picturing life when the fortess was really alive. My husband still comments on the view of the ancient fortress next to the modern bridge! We stopped in at the restaurant adjacent to the parking lot for a cool drink and enjoyed the beautiful view. Istanbul at it's best!

1  Thank Moclips57
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Such a unique place for history buffs. Located on both sides (Asian and European) sides of Istanbul. Do not miss this out of the way place.

1  Thank lnsots
See more reviews
Reviewed June 14, 2013

For 5 TL, you can visit the huge, impressive, and completely breathtaking (literally; wait until you try those stairs) Rumeli Hisari in north Istanbul. I saw a photo of this on a photo blog I follow and knew I had to make it a part of my trip to Istanbul. I am so glad I did; it was one of the highlights of my visit to Turkey.

If you have trouble with mobility or are very afraid of heights, you may get limited enjoyment out of parts of the fortress. If you're just a little nervous about the idea of ascending lots of unrailed narrow stone steps--know that it's worth it for the views at the top! I couldn't believe how much of the fortress we could walk to, climb on, and see, and also couldn't believe how few people were visiting. I guess it's far enough from Sultanahmet that many don't make the trip. That said, I encourage you to visit if you can. You will absolutely not regret it!

4  Thank hurstkkm