“very good location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #521 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
paris
“very good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2009

in the middle of the Istanbul center, renovated, friendly atmosphere...
there is also free turkish bath, gym, indoor and outdoor pool...and a nice terrace bar...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Lebanon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2009

Good location in a safety street near taksim square and Istiklal street.
Clean hotel and rooms, nice design. internet WIFI in all rooms.
open buffé for breakfast in a nice restaurant.
roof restaurant and swimming pool with bosphorus view.
clean indoor swimming pool with jaccusi and sauna .
turkish Hammam and sport room.

BUT:
small room ( specially for double room), thin wall between rooms.
poor english language for staff ( exept reception) like all turkish people in the street and shops.

Overall:
good choice for some days, cheap price.
specially for tourism when you spend all the day outside in Istanbul.
i think this is a three stars hotel not four and all hotels ( exept the 5 stars) in taksim area have small rooms and not better than Taksim Gonen hotel

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank shtronix
Nailsworth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2009

The hotel is listed as 'gay friendly' - but if you are gay and thinking of visitng Istanbul - think again! The rooms were VERY clean and actually quite good in terms of decor but the icy reception staff left us in no doubt that we were (just) 'tolerated' rather than welcome. If you are into the 'gay' areas of the city this hotel is well located but do your homework on the internet before you arrive.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LEONARDO-2323
Berlin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2009

I must admit, I read the other reviews and I was a bit concerned about staying here. I travel all over the world and have stayed in all different types of hotels and I must say that the Taksim Gonen Hotel exceeded my expectations.

I had a single room and I must admit it was a little small, but well decorated and the configuration was excellent...especially where and how they installed the television. The staff was excellent! One night I asked the late night front desk guy ( I wish I remembered his name) for directions to get to the Ghetto Club. He drew me a detailed map with sidestreets, landmarks, etc etc etc to make sure I didnt get lost. The map was excellently drawn and led me directly to the club without taking a taxi.

The maid service was excellent and my room was spotless every day. The breakfast was nice and had a good selection. The Gym was amazing. It was small but the quality of the equipment (free weights and machines) was much better than I expected. Most hotels put a running machine in a room and call it a gym but not here. And the gym and pool attendant was very friendly, provided towels, and gave me a tour of the facillities without me having ot ask.

All in all, my stay was wonderful, the staff all spoke English and were very friendly, and the room was nice, and the location was PERFECT!!!! I would highly recommend this hotel. Not quite sure what happened with the other reviewers, but after reading some of their reviews, it seemed like they had very individual one in a thousand types of experiences that is not indicative of normal operations.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Panama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2008

We have just returned from a visit to Istanbul, a three-night in this hotel seemed a lot Langer. The hotel location is good, and the breakfast buffet is very good. The hotel is rated four stars, it should not be more than three. The air conditioned does not work, the weather outside was nicer than the inside the rooms that felt like a sauna. No use in complaining, nothing was done. The rooms are good, if a little small, but clean. On our last day, one of the bathroom towels had stains on it, it smelled clean but there were stains…
Overall I would say this is an average three star hotel, very good location but the overall service is far from outstanding. Given the situation with the a/c I would not recommend it for summer time.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — room comfort
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Pris11

Travelers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2008

we went to Istanbul to attend our firends wedding ,other friends were staying at Taksim Gonen ,we had no choice but this hotel.
I think it is way to expensive for facilities they offer comparing to other non Europian cities for example Cairo, Egypt,,
we had great all inclusive 5 night stay at Bodrum so we could tolerate some how.
breakfast area is in basement, they have great roof top resturant ,why not serving breakfast there ??
any how rooftop pool is more like bikini show for staf which they all freeze staring at you!!!
one way free transfer to airport was the only looking forward event during our stay!!
just go for location,,

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Athens
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2008

Spent 3 nights at Taxim Gonen end of April 2008. The hotel seemed ok at first, with a decent lobby and rooms. However, in terms of service and reliability they were terrible. It all started when I exhanged euros for turkish lira at the hotel reception (around 300 lira)- the problem was they gave me a fake 100 bill, which nearly got me into trouble when I tried to spend it, being of course unaware it was fake. When I went back to the reception they denied having given me fake money but in the end they exchanged the fake for a real bill after long negotiations with the manager.
And then the real trouble came. We had booked the hotel online and had already paid for our stay when making the reservation. But at check out, they charged us for our stay again! I only realized when I got my credit card bill a month later. I sent several emails to the manager but never got any reply. So we ended up being charged twice for the room.
I am never going back to this hotel and would advise everyone to avoid it. Be aware that the locals will always try to trick you so you must be alert at all times! If I went back to Istanbul, I'd rather stay in Sultanahmed area, and avoid taxim completely.

• Stayed April 2008