“Outstanding in every sense of the word”
Review of Pera Palace Hotel

Pera Palace Hotel
Ranked #47 of 1,175 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed August 29, 2014

The history of Pera Palace is what attracts you in the first place. So the beautiful lobby, patisserie, bara nd restaurant are no surprise..the old elevator is quite an experience...as are the relics in glass cases all over the place..
the room itself is AMAZING...our suite had a very tastefully done main room and sitting room, and a great bathroom area.
And the service...fantastic all the way through..
What an experience

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
PinarKartalTimer, General Manager at Pera Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2014

Dear Guest ,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor with regards to your recent stay at Pera Palace Hotel Jumeirah.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and acknowledge so many positive elements, and that you would choose to stay with us again. Your kind comments are highly appreciated.

Thank you once again, for your comments and for your support, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Pera Place Hotel Jumeirah in the near future.

Pınar Kartal Timer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,189)

Reviewed August 26, 2014

My husband being a huge fan of Hercule Poirot has been trying to visit Pera Palace for almost a decade. Each time he visited Istanbul the hotel was either under renovation or his itinerary didn't allow him enough time to stop by. This trip was my first time to Istanbul and we made it to Pera Palace. I was blown away!! The mere magnificence of the hotel will leave you speechless. When I walked in I felt like I was walking into one of Agatha Christie's novels. We had our 18 month old son with us and even so dared to eat at Agatha Restaurant for breakfast. I am so, so happy we did! I think it was my favorite meal of our entire trip. I was actually expecting the staff to be unamused by my toddler dining at such a fancy place but they were so nice to us!

After breakfast I went to the front desk and asked the manager if there was anyone who could give us a tour of the hotel. Without flinching she said "Of course!" and ushered a woman over to us who gave us the most intriguing behind the scenes tour of the hotel. She even grabbed the key and brought us into the Ataturk Suite where the great leader and founder of modern-day Turkey, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk stayed.

I was sure this morning couldn't get any better until the tour ended in this unbelievable pink cake shop that is filled with the most exquisitely decorated treats. I could have sat in there and drank tea for an entire day!

I have to thank my husband over and over again for bringing me to Pera Palace. I had no idea what to expect and that added to my amazement. Next time maybe we will even stay there!

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel we only stopped by for a visit.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
I am so glad to have read that you enjoyed your visit at Pera Palace Hotel Jumeirah. Allow me to thank you both for your time and for this in depth review of our property. It is truly encouraging to know that our efforts to bring about constant improvements in our services and facilities creates a positive experience for our guests. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team, they will be very appreciative. I hope that I will be able to meet you in person at your next visit to Pera Palace Hotel Jumeirah.

Reviewed August 25, 2014

Steeped in its literary history, the Pera Palace is an old world gem of a hotel. But what sets it part is the welcome from the staff who without exception are warm, helpful and friendly. They clearly take their lead from the charming manager who we met.

They remember your name and get the little details right so that from the moment you arrive to the friendly wave goodbye you feel welcome and wanted. Very reassuring when you are so far from home.

And the double glazing insulates you from the calls to prayer that 'give character' to this city when walking around it.

Room Tip: All rooms are well insulated from the noise outside but the best views are on the south side.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank pblackwe

Reviewed August 24, 2014

this is the place! para palace has it all and more. i could not figure out which neighborhood i wished to stay in but i had been recommended to this hotel. first of all, EVERYONE is so friendly and know your name! they even remembered i had a food allergy so they called ahead to the restaurant to be certain they knew of it. it was our 30th anniversary and they sent up a plate of the most delicious pastry for us written Happy Anniversary. the concierge and the front desk people, the door man, all so friendly and happy. it makes you feel great to come back each day, like an old friend. and it is BEAUTIFUL, charming and very comfortable inside. the rooms are large and exceptionally comfortable. there is a nice gym and pool and sauna/steam room to relax in after a long day of touring. internet service is free and fast. the neighborhood is really great, full of charming restaurants and shops and close enough to the Old City when you wish to be there. but for us, after a long day walking the old city sights, it was really nice to "come home' to our little neighborhood not far from the Galata Tower for a rooftop cocktail or dinner over looking the city. the only thing we did not do was add on breakfast. probably would have been better to book it with the room, because it was really high priced to add on. but i would most highly recommend the Pera Palace Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank larosa46

Dear Guest,
I am so glad to have read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Pera Palace Hotel Jumeirah. Allow me to thank you both for your time and for this in depth review of our property. It is truly encouraging to know that our efforts to bring about constant improvements in our services and facilities creates a positive experience for our guests. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the team, they will be very appreciative. I hope that I will be able to meet you in person at your next visit to Pera Palace Hotel Jumeirah.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

Istanbul offers the visitor many choices, but when it comes to hotels this is the only one. Combining the best of modern service and comforts with the history Agatha Christie and Hemmingway. The welcome was as warm as the temperature (we visited in August) and nothing was too much trouble, including the last minute change of dinner venue.

We stayed in room 109 which has balconies and is well sized, with a separate sitting room.

The team at the hotel couldn't do enough and everything ran perfectly to time, including the 445am coffee and croissants in the room and the 5am airport transfer.

Whan you stay do make use of the concierge and trust their advice-they are among the best we have experienced (up there with the team at Essex House in New York). Also, look out for Ebru, the enthusiastic Guest Relations Manager for whom nothing is too much trouble.

In short, this is the perfect place for a stay in Istanbul, and contains many gems of history, including the chair on which guests were physically carried from the Orient Express station to the hotel. If only transport around the city was still as luxurious!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Mark B

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Being an Agatha Christie buff, I was very excited at the prospect of staying at the hotel where she wrote the famed Murder on The Orient Express. The decor of the lobby and the tea room were truly beautiful, very belle epoch, but everything fanciful and stylish seemed to be left behind on the ground and lower floors. As we stepped out of the much fussed about ornamental elevator ( think Harrods) onto our floor it looked like we were entering a sanitarium. Everything looked very bleak and bland. I have to say I was rather disappointed .

The rooms were not much better, just so so, the usual, nothing particularly special. The bathroom I have to say was just plain weird. They tried to fit a roll top bathtub which was extremely high and deep together with a shower. One had to be careful not to knock ones legs clambering into the bath for a shower.There was no question of having a proper bath, as I suspect the bath itself was installed in anticipation of dwarfs. For a 5 star hotel, the toiletries given were paltry and they didn't even have the courtesy of leaving a bottle of water by our bedside, something which even the smallest hotels in Istanbul did especially in the scorching heat of July. And as for the wifi, one needed all the detective skills of Agatha Christie herself to access it - Not user friendly at all and very weak.

The breakfast buffet which we had to pay extra for, wasn't really that great, especially when one considers the price of the rooms and also it closed at the ungodly hour of 10.30 am which is most unhelpful to people on holiday. The tea room however looked splendiferous, however unfortunately we were unable to manage to fit in the time for tea.

The service in general was extremely luke warm. One had the feeling that one didn't really matter and nobody really cared. To add to the disappointment was the fact that the Agatha Christie room 101 had been dismantled and turned into a regular guest room. I found this most puzzling when the whole essence of the hotel is marketed around Agatha Christie and Murder on the Orient Express.

My advice, if you are curious and want to see the famed hotel, go there for afternoon tea and wander through the ground and lower floors where most of the memorabilia are kept...you will be happy!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank L0unger

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us at Pera Palace Hotel Jumeirah on Tripadvisor.
Your valuable feedback is important to ensure that we continually deliver the service Pera Palace Hotel Jumeirah is renowned for and exceed your expectations for future visits. I was therefore concerned to understand that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay. I have noted all your comments and passed on to the concern managers to look into it and taking corrective action where required so that so that we exceed your expectations on your return. Thank you for bringing these incidents into my attention.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return to Pera Palace Hotel Jumeirah.
Sincerely
Pınar Kartal-Timer

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We didn't get to spend much time here, but what we did was beautiful. The hotel is gorgeously restored, the lobby and the little candy shop look so old-school European in the middle of this amazingly modern Islamic city. The details are well taken care of. The rooms themselves are nothing exceptional except they are incredibly clean, well appointed, and comfortable. Large bathrooms for European hotel. Nice bar at night to have a drink.

We came for the little Agatha Christie history moment!

Very central and easy to walk to the Istaklal.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family