“very bad service for having tea in Pera Palace”
Review of Pera Palace Hotel

Pera Palace Hotel
Ranked #46 of 1,178 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I was very disappointed the other day when coming to have a tea with a group for knowing the Pera Palace in which Agatha Christie wrote her book. We wait during 15 minutes that somebody came to ask for the drinks, we had to look for chairs to seat because the waiter ignore us. They bring us a tea with no napkins and strainer. Very horrible service for 7€ each tea with no pastries and a basic tea. I will not recommend to go there and pay for a service that doesn´t exist even if Agatha Christies has came in other times . I suppose the service was different in those times!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
9  Thank alice f
PinarKartalTimer, General Manager at Pera Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

I was very concerned to read that you were disappointed about the service in our lounge. Please allow me to sincerely apologize for the shortcoming during your recent visit at our property. I have noted your comment and will be sharing them with the Food & Beverage Team to look into and rectify, in order to avoid a recurrence

It would be our privilege to welcome you back in the near future, giving us another opportunity to make sure you and your family have a great stay.

Pınar Kartal Timer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Overall I was disappointed with this stay. Pera Palace charges top dollar as far as European hotels go - but all the usuals that go along with the pricepoint were missing: consistently good customer service, special touches and attention to detail.

The rooms are plain, similar to a usual three star standard, though clean and modern thanks to the refurbishment. The bathroom we had was cramped, though the underfloor heating was a nice touch.

The public areas of the hotel are beautiful and due to the hotel's history, I would recommend a visit, but only for a meal at Agatha restaurant or a drink at the bar.

Service at the afternoon tea was poor. Not enough waitstaff to take care of patrons so you had to wait endlessly before flagging someone down. I even watched a family drag chairs over from another room to set up their own table. By the time we left afternoon tea, the lounge had quietened down and we asked for a photo by a nice sofa. The waiter left us waiting for five minutes, clearing the table, getting cleaning products to scrub it down before eventually taking the photo. There was no one waiting for a table so I don't know why he prioritised scrubbing the table before taking our photo. Not die in a ditch stuff, but when you're paying for accommodation, meals and spa treatments at this place, you expect a little better.

The staff at the spa were lovely and we really enjoyed experiencing a hammam (Turkish bath). However, again prices are top dollar so it was less than pleasant to receive my massage in an un-decorated, makeshift room with construction propped up against the wall and no music. Not justifiable given the prices and you will probably be disappointed if you're familiar with the quality of spa services in the US and Dubai.

This is the third hotel in a month that I have stayed at in Europe for a similar price and Pera Palace is the only one that I felt was overpriced given the level of service and offerings provided to guests. I stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton for the first night of my stay in Istanbul. At a fifth of the price of Pera Palace, it provided much better service and amenities. Pera Palace is not recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MsHellfire

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. We value all guest feedback as an opportunity to continue to improve our services and products for our guests. I was of course most concerned to read your review where you said you were made to feel uncomfortable and was treated unprofessionally by our colleagues.

Please allow me to once again reiterate that we take such feedback most seriously. I would like to express my deepest apology on behalf of the team for the inconvenience caused and rest assured that this is an isolated case of misunderstanding and not the usual service Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah have always been known for. On this particular occasion, your experience was well below the standards of quality and service we strive to maintain. I have discussed the matters you so kindly brought to my attention with the department head concerned in an effort to prevent such shortfalls from recurring in the future.

I sincerely hope that you will afford us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, thus enabling us to restore your confidence towards Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah. Once again, please accept my apology together with my thanks and appreciation for your feedback.

Thank you once more for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Pınar Kartal Timer

Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Not much more to say: perfect place if you want to get pampered. Also stayed in a much more inferior place during the same stay and while the other place was not blessed with such a great setup as the Pera Palace, one really appreciates the value of friendliness and customer service - pera palace excels in both by all their staff

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank better w
PinarKartalTimer, General Manager at Pera Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a positive review on TripAdvisor, following your recent stay at Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah.

I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I have shared your kind feedback with the rest of the team, they were equally delighted to know that their efforts are highly appreciated by our guests.

Once again, thank you very much for your kind words. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah, hopefully in the very near future.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

During a short stay in Istanbul I visited the Pera Palace. Since my parents went there in 1963 I have heard about this nice hotel so I decided to drink coffee, taste a nice cake, and later take a drink there with my wife.

The staff is polite, warm, and very professional. They could be more attentive without annoying anyone, though.

This summer I will stay at the hotel - stay tuned for a full review :-)

Dear Guest ,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor with regards to your visit at Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your short visit and that you would choose to stay with us again. Your kind comments are highly appreciated.

Thank you once again, for your comments and for your support, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Jumeirah this summer. Please let me know if I can assist with your reservation at that time, or with any other arrangements.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

just to tell you all that the hotel is very nice , location not far away from istqlal st. the hotel unique . thay have very nice breakfast . the suite was nice . but there is constraction near the hotel its lettle noicy . in general excellent .

Room Tip: good room / suite as wel
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
PinarKartalTimer, General Manager at Pera Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay at Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah, and that you were pleased with the service and facilities as well as your breakfast experience.
I appreciate you recommending Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at the Pera Palace on our trip to Istanbul for its history, architecture and after learning that it had been recently refurbished. It was absolutely wonderful. We stayed in the Pierre Lotti suite over Easter, which was beautiful. Service and staff are excellent. The concierge got us into very trendy and popular restaurant at the last minute. They were graciously flexible on late check-outs. The highlight was the resident lounge pianist that plays at cocktail hour on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. He was simply divine and took us away over our bellinis to another, more glamorous era. Pera itself is a great neighbourhood full of wonderful restaurants. I recommend Ceyazir and Mikla. There is also an excellent Turkish delight shop right across the street, which does all natural Turkish delight. All in all, a wonderful experience and I wouldn't recommend staying anywhere else in Istanbul.

Room Tip: The Pierre Lotti suite is excellent, with a great view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
PinarKartalTimer, General Manager at Pera Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay at Pera Palace Hotel, Jumeirah, and that you were pleased with the service and facilities as well as your afternoon tea experience. I also am glad to hear that you found our hotel’s strategic location convenient.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Did not stay here. We went to experience the patisserie. We were not disappointed. Excellent tea with lovely cakes in a relaxing atmosphere. Great to go to after shopping in the Beyoglu district. It is at one end and just off Istiklal Street.