1,330 results
All reviewsagatha christieorient expressgolden hornhistorical hotelgreta garboagatha restauranternest hemingwaymodern turkeyturn down serviceluxury hotelmarble bathroomsmall balconypierre lotipublic areaspillow menuistiklal streetamazing hotel
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We loved staying at the Pera Palace Hotel for 2 nights prior to our cruise. It exudes old world charm and elegance, yet is not stuffy. The room and the amenities were lovely. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was sumptuous, we never left unsatisfied.
It was so interesting to visit the Attaturk Room and to ride in the oldest elevator in the city, as well as to think of all of the most fascinating people who passed through as they came and went on the Orient Express.
I would most definitely recommend a stay at the Pera Palace.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Phyllis K
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I have always loved this hotel. I would always go and have a drink in the bar to soak up the atmosphere even before the 30 million Eurro renovation. Now it has everything, luxury , beautiful rooms and a warm and welcoming staff. I was lucky enough to stay there recently. The location is my favorite in Istanbul. Beyoglu has some of the best restaurants, nightclubs and art galleries in Istanbul. It is also near the Galata Mevlevihanesi where you can see one of the most authentic dervish ceremony in Turkey. The sea view rooms have balconies that look over the Golden Horn towards the old city for views of the famous mosques, the Haghia Sofia and Topkapi Palace. The afternoon tea is another experience to take you back in time, served on the original silver and China. A perfect experience!

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are smaller, The Pierre Lotti suite has more space and views as well.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband and I returned to the pera palace hotel again , and were welcomed by an upgrade to the presidential suite . The hotel maintains its previous standards of excellence and service . Umar at their reception was extremely helpful, allowing us to check out at 5 pm for an 8 pm flight with no charge. Excellent breakfast , beautiful views, buzzing location - highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Sadly I couldn't stay over night. Happily there was time to check out the Cocktail Bar, the Tea Shop and the Spa. As an Agatha Christie fan it was a fabulous treat. The Christie room was rented out so we couldn't see it but we did enjoy a lovely pot of tea and a truly fabulous strawberry mousse slice for morning tea and a very strong martini at sun down. All reasonably priced, beautifully presented with the standard of glass, china and silverware that Agatha would have expected. Just like a scene out of Murder on the Orient Express. Steps away from the delights of the Pera Museum and the memorable Istiklal Street. Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tozc
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Pera Palace June 9 through June 13th. Our experience was excellent.

The long story is that we stayed in the old city for 5 nights before flying to the Agean coast and taking a gulet cruise for 7 nights. We then returned to Istanbul and stayed at the Pera Palace. So we actually visited the city twice within a week. On our first visit to Istanbul, we met with a tour guide who strongly recommended that we stay in the "new city" for our return visit. As we walked with our guide, we stopped at the Pera Palace, were charmed by the grace and character of the hotel, and made a reservation. Mr. Eti, Director of Rooms Division, suggested we upgrade to a suite, which included a full breakfast. (The breakfast by itself is costly, and may not be worthwhile if your room costs do not include breakfast. But more about breakfast later). Mr. Eti promised a bottle of wine and fruit when we checked in upon our return.

When I returned to our hotel in the old city, I looked up Pera Palace on TripAdvisor, and was a bit concerned about some of the negative reviews. But our experience was just about perfect.

We stayed in room 609 on the top floor. This is a corner room that is very large, with an entrance hall, and another space leading to the bathroom and breakfast bar. There is a small balcolny overlooking the Golden Horn. The room included a high-end water heater for tea, and a Nespresso coffee maker. The bathroom is huge--perhaps 20 feet by 20 feet, and is divided by a glass wall that encloses a very large shower and a bathtub.

The service was excellent, including quick responses from housekeeping, and turn down each night.

I have only praise for the staff. Mr. Eti was particularly accommodating: On the first night, I asked for a reservation at a little French Bistro down the street. I didn't remember the name, so he walked the two blocks with me to make 100% sure that he was reserving at the correct restaurant. On the second day, he asked me if the wine was delivered. I told him no, but that a very nice plate of chocolates were delivered. That night, we found a bottle of wine, a great plate of fruit, and a note that said "wine is better than chocolate."

One other incident stands out. One night we arrived back from dinner to find that our room key didn't work. The staff person came up with us to our room. When he couldn't open the room, he called security. Within 5 minutes, the director of security and two maintenance men came to our room. The lock was fixed within 15 minutes of first reporting the problem. The front desk person stayed with us the entire time. This was about 10:30 at night. I was impressed.

My wife and I used the gym and spa every day. We were the only people using the facilites, which included a modest gym, a sauna, a steam room, a small swimming pool, and a jacuzzi. We were shown how to use all the facilities, and someone was in attendance at all times.

This is an historical buidling. There was a continual trickle of tourists who came into the various public rooms, taking pictures, and looking around. I noticed two families who viewed the hotel with a guide.

The breakfast is excellent. It reminded me of the massive breakfast buffets that are in some of the asian hotels I have visited. It includes traditional Turkish food, as well as western breakfasts, including Parma ham and bacon (not too much pork in Turkey). But it is very expensive and I would recommend it only for people who either are really into breakfast, or have the meal included in the room price.

We paid 410 Euros per night. This was almost twice as much as the (much smaller, but quite utilitarian) room that we had in the old city. We considered it money well spent.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the Golden Horn. The "suite" upgrade was definitely worth the price, since it cost the same as a regular room plus two "a la carte" breakfasts.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family