“Great hotel and location”
Review of Blue House Hotel

Blue House Hotel
Ranked #177 of 1,151 Hotels in Istanbul
New York City, New York
“Great hotel and location”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in the beginning of July. This hotel is located in the most touristy area of Istanbul – Sultanahmet which is the Old City. Some people try to avoid staying in this area but I think it was a great place to be. You’re steps away from the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia, which are both really great sites to see. This hotel is only a 10 min walk to the tram which will take you to any area you want to go to.
The rooms were very nice and comfortable. I think this hotel should be listed as a 3 star hotel though. I think ive seen it listed as 4 stars on some sites. The staff were very accommodating and helpful and made any and all arrangements we needed. Breakfast was included in our package which was quite tasty. All in all we got a very homely vibe from this hotel and I would stay there again.

As far as the sights go ---
You’re about a 20 min walk (or a 5 min tram ride) from the Grand Bazaar which you must go to! It’s a huge indoor bazaar where you can get all sorts of Turkish goods. Try to go before 3pm so you have a better chance of negotiating.
Although we went to the Topkapi Palace I wasn’t that impressed with it. They show you old jewels and clothes that the Sultans wore but it wasn’t for me.
We never ended up going to the Basilica Cistern although we heard it was cool.
The spice bazaar was OK. I think the grand bazaar was better because you can actually buy stuff from there. Unless you’re interested in buying spices, I don’t think there is much of a point to go here.
Unfortunately we didn’t do the Bosphorus Cruise because we didn’t have enough time but we heard it would have been a wonderful experience.
You should definitely try to go to a Turkish Bath while you’re there. Its an experience, to say the least. You get taken to a hot stone where you lay in a room that is like a sauna and then someone will come and bathe you and scrub you down. Its definitely awkward, but only for a few mins. Its one of those things you must do if you’re in Turkey.

We didn’t use a tour guide for Istanbul and I don’t think you need to use one at all. Its an easy city to navigate throughout and when you walk and travel throughout the city on your own you get to experience more. However, when you go to the Hagia Sophia I highly recommend you take a guide up on their offer to explain the history of the mosque to you. It is one of the most beautiful sights of Istanbul and there is such a great history there. We went in without a guide and immediately realized how essential a guide would be for this site, so we hired someone that approached us.

As far as meals go –
it is known that restaurants in Sultanahmet don’t offer great food, so try to avoid that area if you can. We had a great meal at “360 Istanbul” which I highly recommend. We really enjoyed smoking hookah at the hookah bars that are all around Istanbul, especially Taksim Square. We also enjoyed hookah in the outdoor restaurant which was right outside of the Blue House hotel.

Nightlife –
You MUST go to Reina. This club was unbelievable. Im from New York City and ive been to clubs in many cities throughout the country and the world but Reina was a crazy experience. It was vegas status. You wont regret it!!

by the way, because this hotel is close to the Blue Mosque, you may be woken up by the early morning prayer call. It caught us by surprise!

We stayed in Istanbul for 3 days and 3 nights. I would say that was enough. It’s the kind of city that you can stay at longer and you’ll find stuff to do. But if you want to just quickly check out all of the main attractions and enjoy the city for a bit, then 3 days is enough
After our Istanbul stay we headed to Cappadocia and stayed at 40da Cave Suite, so check out my review for that if you’re interested!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Korean first
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We spent our first nights in Istanbul in this charming hotel. We had a small room with a view of the Blue Mosque on a traffic-free street. We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the lobby and breakfast room and would have liked to little garden patio had it not been rainy and cold! The staff was friendly, understanding and helpful.

As we had opened our window at night to feel the fresh air, we were nearly tossed out of bed at 5 a.m. by the mosque's call to prayer...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan_LTucson_AZ
Perth australia
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Rooms although small were pleasantly decorated and very clean. Staff were very attentive. Breakfast was above Turkish standard, it offers more than picked cucumbers and boiled eggs! My coffee cup was refilled before I asked. It was cool when we were there but breakfast on the terrace would be gorgeous in summer. The roof top restaurant/ bar was a gorgeous place to end the day overlooking the floodlit Blue Mosque. This hotel is so centrally located you can walk to everything. This little hotel was a lovely place to stay and I would happily return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Blue Mosque
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aussierosie21
Salem
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Spent 3 nights at the Blue House while visiting Istanbul. It is conveniently located near all the big sights like the Blue Mosque and Ayasofya and a lot of well rated restaurants. Our room was clean and comfortable and quiet. The service was excellent. They have a roof-top terrace where they serve dinner. My wife and I had dessert and a raki on the terrace which had a great view of the Blue Mosque lit up at night. The tram/metro is a short distance away for visiting further away sights.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oliverpd
St. Ives, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2011

The minimum that I am willing to accept is a clean room, a bedside table on either side of the bed, and a reading lamp on the table. This hotel fails on two of the three minimum conditions. Both my wife and I wear glasses and taking them off is the last thing that I do at night, and the first thing we do in the morning. I am not prepared to stumble in darkness from a table elsewhere in the room. Yes, they did provide it eventually but after asking twice. It was also nice to know that the air conditioner had been granted independence at the same time as the country. It did not necessarily operate under the command of the wall control. Their internet connection also enjoyed a similar freedom, sometimes being strong, but more frequently very weak resulting in having to reconnect. Almost not worth the effort. There is a PC available in the foyer.
The hotel was described as “charming” and “old charm.” Is this a euphemism for shabby? The leather sofa on the 4th floor is coming apart and was repaired amateurishly. Other furnishings are in need of updating. The rooms are small. The bathroom is small and cramped although the shower cubicle was comfortable for a big man. Location was good, although not being familiar was the city, I can not speak for other areas. May be it is better to live in the new city and take transport to Topkapi and the Mosque. Lots of eating houses in the area.
The view of the Blue Mosque from the upstairs balcony was fantastic, especially as the sun is setting with a backdrop of a semi-darkened sky. Possibly worth sneaking into the hotel just for a photograph.
The hotel lift does not have any doors and would really think twice about taking children there. Actually I would think twice about taking myself there again.
Possibly not the fault of the management, but they were building across the road. Goods were being delivered at 3:00am together with all the shouting that often accompanies men on a construction site. Less than ideal.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dojies
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed April 12, 2011

This hotel is just beautiful, very clean and comfortable with a wonderful view of the Blue Mosque.

Our room was tastefully decorated with a full ceramic tiled bathroom and excellent bedding. It was very clean and relaxing.

The breakfast buffet was delicious and had a great variety to choose from. We enjoyed several meals in the restaurant just off the lobby. The food was delicious. There is also a lovely roof top restaurant for the summertime! We spent time on the side patio, a perfect place to enjoy a cup of tea and plan our day. The full service lounge/bar was always open and staffed with friendly people who were very helpful and interesting.

The location is excellent and within walking distance of "everything"!

Can't wait to return... we had a wonderful trip thanks to the staff at Blue House Hotel. Thank you all.

Room Tip: Room 36, ask for view of Blue Mosque frm your room
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank myronkathy
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 3, 2011

My husband and I are always happy for any opportunity to stay at the fabulous Blue House hotel in Istanbul. The owners have taken meticulous care with all the details, and it shows -- in the beauty of the room decors, in the attentive service of the staff, and in all the thoughtful little amenities that help make any visit memorable.

I love being able to sit and write emails up on their rooftop terrace, while sipping a beverage, and gazing out at the magnificent views of ships on the Bosphorus and Marmara Seas. With a slight turn of my head, I can see both the Blue Mosque and the Aya Sofiya in all their majestic serenity -- both are just steps away from the door of the hotel.

The elaborate and delicious breakfast buffet is a real treat not to be missed. It will definitely fortify you for a full day of shopping and sight-seeing.

In sum, the Blue House is a great base from which to experience all the best Istanbul has to offer. I will return there every chance I get!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business