“Charming, simple, small hotel with friendly staff in center of Sultanahmet.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibrahim Pasha Hotel

and 1 more site!
Ibrahim Pasha Hotel
Ranked #29 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Charming, simple, small hotel with friendly staff in center of Sultanahmet.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

Hotel: The Ibrahim Pasha Hotel is a small, charming hotel staffed by a few friendly employees. The hotel has a small casual inviting lobby and rooms are spread a few to a floor up 4-5 floors. Roof terrace was closed for construction at the time of our stay, but I imagine it would have been nice.
Room: Very small room (in our case, with 2 single beds, as requested) including small bathroom. Small plasma TV. In-room safe was good for our passports, money, etc.
Location: Tucked into a small street in the center of Istanbul's tourist-site-rich Sultanahmet neighborhood. Only meters away is the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, ancient underground cisterns, etc.
Staff: Friendly small team. Willing to open the front doors (locked during the night) when we came back late from Istanbul nightlife or got up for a very early departure.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2008

The deluxe rooms were lovely and comfortable with powerful air conditioning. The deluxe baths were lovely and clean (probably due to being new). We had no other service issues at all. A daily tip on the bed insured fresh towels when needed. Please note that the beds are very low to the floor and may be challenging for some people. We are agile 60 somethings and laughed each day when we tried to get up from the bed.

Only stay in the deluxe rooms. Our family had 1 deluxe room and 2 standard rooms, and the standard rooms were tiny and our tiny shower was very moldy and almost too small to function. We were fortunate to be able to upgrade to a deluxe room for our remaining 3 nights.

The staff was very accommodating, helpful and friendly. We especially enjoyed the breakfast staff - an older gentleman in particular was lovely to our family. They are helpful with the terrace bar, and we enjoyed that immensely. The desk staff helped us with maps, restaurant suggestions, tram information, and museum information.

The location is perfect for visitors and within walking distance to many sites.

We had a personal tour guide for a day (which was wonderful) and he mentioned that this particular area in Istanbul has very small standard hotel rooms and that he always recommends deluxe rooms to tourists - no matter what hotel.

We will definitely stay at this hotel again next year - but only in deluxe rooms.

• Liked — Deluxe rooms
  • Disliked — standard room - baths
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2008

Staying at the Ibrahim Pasha made for a mixed experience. The downstairs seating area is lovely and very comfortable. The breakfast is delicious and the breakfast staff very nice. Front desk staff are generally nice too. You get a lovely view of the Blue Mosque from the pretty terrace upstairs.

The double rooms are very small for two people, the larger ones range from gorgeous to just attractive. We stayed in a medium-sized larger room. Everything looked great - minimalist, with a touch of Ottoman style in the sofas, cushions etc. But I noticed after unpacking that the toilet in our bathroom had not been cleaned before we moved in. It had some very unpleasant stains around the bowl and on the rim from previous occupants, which I ended up cleaning myself. Stupid perhaps, but I didn't want to start things off on a complaining note. Sadly though this was symptomatic of the way the rooms were tended (or not). All the room attendant seemed to do was make the bed and clean out the trash. They didn't clean the bath/shower, change the towels or dust (there was also a layer of dust on arrival). The marble bath leaked each time we had a bath or shower. The fan in the bathroom didn't work. The hotel also experienced major leaks after a couple of heavy rains. One guy on our floor had his one pair of shoes filled with rainwater leaking into his room from the roof.

The hotel seems to think it can survive on its reputation for cool, and doesn't need to make an effort when it comes to the details (and cleanliness is really more than a detail). That's not acceptable when you're paying somewhere between 120 and 175 euros depending on the room.

• Liked — Beautiful to look at
  • Disliked — Terrible room service
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 910Critic
Sonoma County
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

If you are looking for a boutique hotel in the Sultanahmet area, this is an excellent choice. The facility is recently remodeled with a European eye. We had a deluxe room for 3 nights and were completely comfortable. The hotel is easy walking distance to the major tourist sites and the staff is helpful with various tourist questions/plans. My only complaint was the intermittent availability of their WiFi service.

• Liked — comfort, location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2008

Having accepted that the old quarter of istanbul was the place to stay (first good decision) and then realised the Four Seasons was fully booked (except for suites at a huge cost) it was a bit of a task to hit on something that would push my buttons.
The Ibrahim Pasha, I discovered ,provided all I could have wished for and even the lack of a bathtub did not make me unhappy.
With the hotels assistance we had a car waiting at the airport and a swift transfer soon had us weaving through the streets of Sulthanamet and to our home for 5 nights.
The hotel lobby,Library/sitting room, Breakfast Room is a mix of styles beautifully eclectic mix of modern/art deco/roccoco with touches of 'shabby chic' absolutely brilliantly executed....this not ,I stress, 'designer' lead it is someones careful hand with a flair for understated interior furnishing.
The curving (old) marble staircase leading on to encaustic tiles around a light well lit centrally from glass tiles which themselves form part of a roof terrace are all I assume original and then adapted features.
Our Deluxe room (room 305) in the newly created extension ( it was 2 days before we realised that it was an extension,it was so skillfully done!) had a solid light oak floor an open walk in wardrobe with plenty of hanging space and shelves to leave suitcases for easy access.
The small window alongside the double bed opened for air if you didn't want to use the air con and the huge foor to ceiling widow at the sitting area end of the room had an intrigueing sliding mechanism that allowed acces onto our open balcony from where we had a very close view of the museum wall (which we liked because it had interesting architectural features) and also a view of the Blue Mosque,despite the room wall being 75% window it was extremely private.
The marble shower room was ultra modern and had a rainfall shower and other superb chrome fittings and another window , the lighting in all areas had been carefully considered and could be dimmed to suit the mood.The Flat screen T V was centrally situated on a single chrome post and could be rotated for viewing in either the sitting area or whilst in bed,to my wifes delight she could find several french game shows !.Fresh fruit was left out each day.
Breakfast was a good experience and I enjoyed the crunchy muesli with yoghurt and honey followed by bread and jam with cake and terrific coffee,orange juice is extra but it is the best ever and the glasses are huge.
The breakfast staff are hugely efficient and seem to anticipate what you want,there has been criticism on tripadvisor about the older member of the breakfast staff but I cannot understand why this is so,perhaps he's not 'chatty' enough or he seems preoccupied,however one must realise that he is trying to feed and water hotel guests that can turn up anytime between 7pm and 11pm, I am embarrassed to say that ONE BRITISH guest arrived at the same time we did, comandeered two much needed tables for herself her husband and two travelling companions despite her husband not appearing until 15 minutes later and her travelling companions not having appeared by the time we had eaten a leisurely breakfast returned to our room to change and then set out for the day.Try organising people like that and keeping cheerful !
This has been a long review,I know ,nevertheless I still cannot express how well this establishment fitted our needs,I could have stayed much much longer.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank George H
Leicestershire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

We stayed at th Ibrahim Pasha in June 2008 and booked the hotel after seeing their website which on comparison to real life is somewhat liberal in its portrayal.
The public areas of the hotel were not a true representation of what was shown on the website and the room was very small, above a noisy street.
At a daily rate of 125 euros grossly over priced even for a major city.
But the worse aspect of our stay was the construction work being undertaken and the constant drilling and hammering going on throughout the day. Ok you are out most of the day exploring a wonderful vibrant and cultural city and when you get back you want to get your head down for an hour or so but not here, impossible with the building noise going on.
We 'put up with it' for 2 days but on the third I went to reception to air my views. After I asked for the manager who did not understand what I was talking about I was approached whom I understood to be by the principal/owner.
He was most inconsiderate saying that 'construction work cannot be stopped and must go on.' I said at least they should advise guests when they are booking that construction work is in progress, he was not even apologetic and my opinion should not be in position working directly with the public. This was our last day of three and my regret is that we did not leave then but stayed and paid them another 125 euros.
I would suggest that prospective guests think seriously about whether they should consider thinking about this hotel.
I have stayed many times in various parts of Turkey and in my opinion this has been my only poor and disappointing experience which I have already related to those I know who wish to go Istanbul and now to your readers.
The general staff were fine and helpful.
Do not let this put you off visiting Istanbul, it is a fascinating City

Stayed June 2008
Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2008

Of the Sultanahmet hotels I have stayed in this one is my favourite. The location is excellent - just across from the Sultanahmet mosque.

Rooms are small but well designed and do not feel oppressive. It is clean and stylish with lovely clean, white bed linen.

Bathrooms are quite small but for the area that seems quite normal.

The breakfast selection is maybe smaller than in some hotels but the quality is high. Staff were polite and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2008