“Great return visit”

Ranked #332 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
Lindsay, Canada
“Great return visit”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

As loathe as I am to giving an excellent to anything, the Alzer Hotel's location and staff have made me give it 5 'stars'.
This our second visit to Istanbul and our first experience (unreviewed) at the Alzer was what prompted us to return.
The location on the Hippodrome less than 100 metres from the Blue Mosque make it a walker’s delight (and I am not big on walking). The Hagia Sophia is in plain sight from the breakfast room and that too is well within walking distance.
In addition to these two main tourist 'must visits', the tram (both efficient and inexpensive) is only about 250 metres walk along the Hippodrome. Two stops along the tram route is one of the oldest Turkish Baths (where I left a layer or two of skin) in Istanbul as well as one of the entrances to the Grand Bazaar - again from a person who would prefer not walking, these are all within easy walking distance.
Speaking of taxis, the staff at this small hotel are (were) more than helpful with understandable directions being offered when requested and although we arrived quite late from our flight, they met us at our taxi (outside of the pedestrian zone in front of the hotel) and took our bags directly up to the room (that along with a bucket of ice too).
The rooms are clean, basic and all have a modern en suite as well as an air conditioning unit, flat screen TV, phone and double, queen or twin beds. We have been in three differently configured rooms on our visits (they stored our large luggage there when we went to Cappadocia on our first visit to IST).
We had been in the neighbourhood before so did not need to get restaurant suggestions but I know we could have asked for restaurant suggestions even though they have one on site.
On departure, we needed to get to the cruiseport to pick up our cruise and rather than going with a transfer service, they hailed a cab and negotiated the price for us at less than 1/4 of the transfer price.
If you want 5 star modern, choose a modern 5* hotel like Best Western, Hyatt all of which have their place; if you want location, location, location with friendly service, the Alzer worked for us and when we come back to Istanbul, we WILL return to the Alzer.

Room Tip: Our rooms did not open onto the Hippodrome nor the Blue Mosque - not a problem as the rear facing ro...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ward L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed three nights in November 2013. The hotel faces the Hippodrome and Sultanahmet Mosque. The view from the top floor, where they serve a nice breakfast, is fantastic. You can see Hagia Sophia, Sultanhamet Mosque, and the full Hippodrome. Maybe the best view in the area. Room was nice, on the back side, quiet. A few things didn't work, like the safe (batteries appeared to be out) and the shower head wouldn't stay in place, but they were minor things. Overall we really enjoyed the stay and it couldn't have been any more convenient. I ran the Istanbul marathon and the finish line was 50m from the hotel! Staff was wonderful, very helpful. We ate dinner twice in the restaurant and enjoyed both times. Wifi was free and worked well. Certainly would recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kent W
West Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed there for a week beginning Oct. 29, 2013. Rooms are small but clean and appropriately decorated. Bathrooms are large and nice. Only a few rooms on each floor and so quiet in the rooms and hotel in general. The housekeepers seem to be there all the time and are very pleasant. The desk clerks are ok but the breakfast staff and restaurant staff are very friendly and accommodating. The selection of food and beverages at the breakfast buffet was large and included everything you would expect.

The location is on the edge of the Hippodrome and across from the Blue Mosque. Extremely convenient and easy to walk to major sights everyone wants to see on a visit to Istanbul. Also close to many restaurants, shops, small groceries, etc.

I recommend Alzer Hotel and would stay there again if I returned to Istanbul.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel have an excellent view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nina1942
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Ideal location; welcoming, helpful staff; charming dining room with amazing views; delicious food; clean, comfortable rooms; overall inviting ambience. I hope to someday travel again to Istanbul and will definitely stay at the Alzer!

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This hotel was chosen by our tour leader. The location is excellent in the Sultan Amet area. Each day started with a plentiful breakfast bar with many choices. Staff were very helpful. I was even offered a personal cell phone for a local call. After our tour I met my daughter from Norway and visited friends in Eskisehir. Returning to Istanbul, I only had a day to show her around. Alzer willingly kept our luggage for the day and we were able to ride a shuttle from there to the airport. I will definitely be recommending Alzer Hotel to anyone traveling to Istanbul.

Room Tip: If you need a suite, there is a lovely one overlooking the Blue Mosque.
Clarks Hill, Indiana
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I travel many places in the world; and Alzer Hotel is one of my favorite hotels. I have stayed at other hotels in Istanbul but Alzer is my favorite. As well, I have taken two groups to stay there and I hear nothing but positive comments from the travelers. I highly recommend Alzer for the consistently excellent location, food, and rooms. The staff are friendly, helpful, and make the experience joyful. The location allows for accessibility to many parts of Istanbul. Deanna B

1 Thank Deanna B
Rawalpindi, Pakistan
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Had a great stay with staff providing exceptional help. Always took the time out to cater to any of our needs and give advice. Had an amazing time. Free wifi of course never hurts. Friends recommended this hotel to me and I will definitely recommend this hotel to others as well

• Stayed November 2013