“Best choice in Sultanahmet”
Review of Alzer Hotel

Alzer Hotel
Ranked #343 of 1,151 Hotels in Istanbul
Athens
“Best choice in Sultanahmet”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at this hotel. Our choice was based mainly on the hotel's location and we were not dissapointed. Alzer hotel is right in front of the Blue Mosque and in the heart of Sultanahmet. As we were first time visitors in Istanbul this was a real delight. The surrounding area is very quite compared to the busy Istiklal. It has a wellcome calmness and silence in a magical scenery after the crowds of Beyoglu. The downside of these all is the lack of things to do other than sightseeing. Most restaurants and cafes are too tourist oriented.
We had a standard room which was small, clean, with nice view and relatively larger bathroom. We were nicely surprised when we discovered the heated floor as the weather was really cold. Breakfast is served on the top floor covered terrace. The highlight here is the view. The food was nice without much variation each morning but with some local touch. The hotel's lobby is very small and not at all pleasant. The staff was quite helpful.
We enjoyed very much our stay in this hotel and we highly recomend it for Sultanahmet area especially during low season when prices are reasonable.

Room Tip: We had room 33 which has a view over a small square at the end of the Hippodrome, no view of the Blu...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Rome
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I just returned from 10 days in Istanbul with three friends. Having never been there before, I was slightly nervous about our accommodations. However, the moment I arrived, I knew that I was 'home'. The location is perfect: the Blue Mosque is literally across the street, the Hagia Sophia is a block away and stepping outside the front door, one is right on the Hippodrome. The Sea of Marmara is the perfect backdrop to the rest of the beautiful views. But what really makes this a perfect hotel is the staff. We could not have felt more welcomed. The staff greeted us every day upon our return from our activities and offered us tea and hugs. I have never felt sad to leave the staff of a hotel before but I really miss this staff. Mehmet was particularly wonderful. The food was terrific and the rooftop restaurant was beautiful. I would not stay anywhere else. We stayed in the Pasha Suite and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Rome, New York, United States
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My three friends and I just spent a week in Istanbul at the Alzer Hotel. it is located right on the Hippodrome, and our night view was the Blue Mosque. Breathtaking! Tram lines are convenient, but it is the friendly, helpful staff that makes this site outstanding. Whether it is dinner, a day trip, shuttles to and from the airport, amenities, or a thousand other needs, they are there to make sure your stay is wonderful. I would never stay anywhere else. The Alzer is our home away from home!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Becky C
london
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my child for 5 days, during my stay I was very pleased with the friendly staff. I also enjoyed the breakfast due to the fantastic scenery of the blue mosque and the surrounding area. I was also pleased with the management who made my child feel very welcome and comfortable. The transport facilities were very close to the hotel which was ideal for sightseeing. The rooms were clean and spacious. Overall I was very pleased with all aspects of the hotel and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to my friends and family.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 1Ash
Honiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2012

An excellent stay! Lovely individual rooms, very clean, fantastic roof terrace breakfast and amazing location.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank devonk8
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed in Alzer hotel (room 13) for the last 11 nights. It was quite a long stay but we loved Istanbul so much we didn't want to leave! The hotel is in a great location, the museum is right next door, with sultan ahmet (blue mosque) LITERALLY across the road. the haya sophia is also across the road and topaci palace and grand bazaar are walking distance. Towards the end of our trip, we were really low on cash so we walked EVERYWHERE (even to galata tower). The hotel is literally in the heart of sultan ahmet. Great views from the terrace and breakfast was lovely too. The staff were so friendly and had heaps of great tips about where to go and what to see and do!! It was wonderful coming back to our room at the end of an exhausting day, it really felt like home. We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tourist2488
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I was shocked by the fact that during my stay the emergency exit was locked with a padlock. The situation is as follows. From each floor one has access to a fire escape staircase on the outside of the hotel building. This ladder can be used in case of fire in order to go down. The stairs are leading to the balcony on the first floor next to room 13. That is you really unlucky, because the balcony is completely locked by iron bars. There's a door in the fence, but there is this padlock. In case of fire you'll be caught in a trap and it is likely that there will be casualties. For this reason, the hotel is really a no-go facility. During my stay I have complained at the reception. Then I got a key from the lock. That is not really a good solution. I also felt uncomfortable with the idea that now in an emergency the lives of others had become dependent on my actions. My advice: only sleep in this hotel after the escape routes have been cleared again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends