“Return visit, and we'd do it again.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Artefes Hotel Istanbul

Artefes Hotel Istanbul
Ranked #169 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Vancouver, Canada
“Return visit, and we'd do it again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

I've reviewed this hotel previously as we stayed here last year on our first trip to beautiful Istanbul, but I can't help but give it another vote of support now. Murat and his staff were just as wonderful as the last time we were there, and he went out of his way, and was more than patient, in helping us arrange a three day excursion to Ephesus, Kusadasi, and Pamukkale from home by email before we even arrived, and did an awesome job of it, by the way (thanks so much, Murat!!). We got the same room we had last time, which was great and felt, to us, like home, and the location cannot be beat. Lovely little neighbourhood with little shops and friendly merchants, and close to everything - a five to ten minute walk to the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia the Basilica, and the Hippodrome, 20 minutes to the Grand Bazaar, and the metro is a breeze to get everywhere else. A couple of changes - new fridge with goodies in the room, and a nice covered area on the roof. The breakfast is something we're totally used to in Turkey now, so no issue from us. Highly recommend and we can't wait to go back. Next time I'll partake in the spa! We love this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janett1957
Murat_Tas, General Manager at Artefes Hotel Istanbul, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear Our Guest; Thank you so much for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay in our hotel.We are so glad to see your nice words about our hotel , breakfast and staff.. We are trying our best to improve our service to make our guest's accommodations a superior experience,
We hope to see you soon again as our guest.
Kind Regards,
Murat TAS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is the type of place to stay if you're a stickler for good service at a good price.
The rooms are of a reasonable size, and the bathrooms are more than sufficient. I've heard that hot water can be a problem in some of the smaller hotels, but I didn't have an issue even once. Our room also had a stocked mini-fridge. It doesn't come stocked with alcoholic drinks, but you can always buy some about 30 seconds away, and keep them cool in your room. The room service cleaned the room well, and provides you with a pair of slippers to walk around the hotel if you're too lazy to put your shoes on. The walls are kind of thin, but I didn't have any issues.

They have a nice rooftop patio with a beautiful view, a covered area with some cushions (very nice for early morning tea). In the basement, there's a mini gym (basic Weider home-gym machine, and an elliptical, and a sauna (I didn't use it). They might have free weights in there, but I'm not sure because I didn't use it. There are over 300 TV channels, mostly non-english, but you will get Bloomberg, and there's a music video channel which plays western and eastern videos (ch: 297)

I had a great time staying here, and was treated really well. The night manager Kenan, and employee Umit even went so far as to share food, and tea with me.

I highly recommend this place for individuals wanting to stay in the Sultanahmet area.
It's easy to walk around, however there are some steep streets, which shouldn't be a problem for any able-bodied person.

The hotel has over 5 restaurants within a 1-2 minute walking radius, which mostly serve the same food, so I wouldn't worry about one being much better or worse than any other one, although if you want to save money, I recommend eating closer to the Spice Bazaar, as prices will be a little cheaper, and it's within a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel (there's also the fish market in the other direction, where you can get a fish sandwich or plate of mussels for cheap - this is more like street meat than restaurant food, but is still extremely delicious)

Overall, I highly recommend this place! Make sure to reserve directly with them for the best deal. We used Hotwire to book while on the plane over (procrastinators...), but found out we could have saved by calling them up.
Make sure you say "What's up" to Kenan, and Umit!

Thanks for the hospitality, Artefes!

Room Tip: There's not really any rooms with a view, but if you have to have one, ask for a room facing out...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank A A
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I'm really not sure how to review this hotel. I booked the hotel months ago, a double room. When we arrived they only had a twin left as the hotel was fully booked. I had confirmed our arrival so a little miffed about this, although we were changed the next day to a double. The room that we were changed to (201) often smelt of sewers. The room was okay, bit small but useable. The safe didn't work and, despite being assured it would be fixed on Monday was not fixed until after we left, Saturday. The décor was plain, pale green and brown, but there were patches where the paint had peeled and the trim from the headboard had come off and was just hanging. The shower in room 201 was a great size due to the shape of the hotel, but the bathroom could seriously do with a scrub.

Overall, the impression I got from the room and hotel is that it could seriously do with a face lift, some care and attention and then it would be very good.

The friendliness and helpfulness of the staff depended on who you spoke to, two were great, one a bit surly. We're not sure if this is because his English is not so good and was worried what he was going to be asked, or if it was just tourist-lag. Maybe we didn't spot the tip box until way to late.

Breakfast was great and included. In good weather the open terrace is definitely the place to be. The buffet selection was very varied and well stocked. The staff clearing away the plates appreciated an acknowledgement. If the weather is not so good then the breakfast room still has great views.

We didn't see much of housekeeping, but seemed pleasant when we passed them in the hallway.

Location is the saviour of this hotel, 5 minutes walk to the Blue Mosque through the Arasta Bazar and all of Istanbul beyond. Many of the restaurants and hotels with restaurants either had a roof terrace with a view of the Blue Mosque/Bosphorous, or a terrace that looked out onto the Bosphorous so there was never a need to go far for dinner, if you didn't want to.

I have given this hotel 4/5 as we did enjoy our stay, but it's really 3.5/5.

Room Tip: Don't go for 201, smelly.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Joolz37
Dhaka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I booked for 3 nights from the hotel's website directly because they offered free airport transfer at least one way- as this was my first trip to Istanbul, I preferred to be picked up. I faced enormous delay at the immigration because I was misinformed by Turkish Airlines agent that I didn't need a visa on arrival if I was coming from the US (on a Canadian passport). It took me over 2 hours just to get out of the airport and I was worried my pick up must have left - especially since I had read countless reports of airport pick ups not showing up at all. I must say, to the hotel's credit, the driver was immensely patient and actually stood with a placard at the waiting area all the while- I was really impressed because I was their only guest pick up that day!
Hotel location was within walking distance to the Blue Mosque- in fact great views from the rooftop as well as of the Marmara sea- and other attractions like Aya Sophya, Topkapi.. I only wish the rooftop renovation work was complete by then! I was very skeptical about the toilet, as I had read endless reviews of how tiny restrooms are in Turkey, but Artefes was just about reasonable.

Staff was very helpful in giving information, tips to get around or plan the day efficiently while being well versed in English. Breakfast was decent, excellent views, very safe to walk back to at night and I had no experience of being woken up by the call of Azaan as is the usual complaint!

Plus points - elevator available (a lot of these old buildings don't have them), location, small refrigerator, bathroom amenities (appreciated the free razors), cleanliness.

Negative points - if you want to use the hammam, you have to give them at least 90 mins heads up and that still doesn't guarantee the masseur will be available; locker in room didn't work, very limited TV channels (but who has time to watch the telly?)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ayeshafarzana
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

For its price range, Artefes was a pleasant experience. Rooms are small, but charming. Breakfast was good, and there is a super nice shisha place just across the street. The hotel is very near to Sultanahmet and all the sights. Staff were very helpful, but tips are required:) The hamam is small, and I suspect, a light version of the real thing. However, it opens on demand, and it was a really relaxing thing to do after a long day out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Near lots to do. The breakfast was included and has lots of options. Great terrace view! One of the best in the area. Friendly staff but ENG can be an issue. We did it use them to book anything, so I can't speak to that.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Damian C
Ronkonkoma, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had a pleasant stay at artefes when we visited Istanbul. We were out all the time so we were only there for breakfast and for sleep.
The positives:
The hotel is decorated very classic with lots of Turkish lamps, and art. Very turn of the century. The front desk and other staff were always friendly and helpful. Always helping us get the stroller up and down the stairs, and helping us out with information and booking tours and travel to and from Airport. The rooms and bathroom were clean, the sheets, bed and pillows were fine. AC worked great too. Nice mini bar loaded with cold drinks and snacks. It is located in the heart of the backstreets of Sultan Ahmet district. Literally in the midle of where you want to be for sight seeing. Minutes away walking distance to Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia And Tokpaki Palace. Close to the main streets where you can do a lot of shopping, and the near by streets are all cobble stone filled with hundreds of bars, and restaurants and nice shops. Also, tons of little stores where you can get cheap water, beers, & snacks. The breakfast was good, lots of breads, eggs, fruit, i mean it was a good breakfast to start your long day. The best part of Artefes its the terrace. We had breakfast there every morning, and would have a beer before bed every night. Views of the bosphorus, and a magestic view of the Blue Mosque were pretty breath taking. Specially at night when the lights come on.

the negatives.
First, our room was tiny. We traveled with our 1 year old, and after getting the baby playpen for her to sleep in the room we have very little room to move around. We put a chair on top of the dresser to make room. It is located in the back streets of Sultan Ahmet, which is only a negative because at night you hear a lot of street noise, kids playing, cars, and restaurant people yelling ohh and cats, you hear cat fights and cats [--]. The elevator is one , maybe 2 persons capacity, we crammed in with stroller and everything, but it was hillarious trying to open the door and getting out. Use the stairs, they are nice and wide.
so other than that there were no major things wrong. Because we traveled with a toddler it could have been a little tight, but for a couple with no kids this hotel is perfect. If I come back to Artefes, Because im coming with family, I would try the suites upstairs.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family