I honestly cannot believe my luck. At the last minute before departing on my trip to Istanbul I learned that the hotel I booked was right next to active train tracks and very noisy. I immediately did a quick search and found this under-reviewed, Best Western boutique hotel in the Sultanahmet.
Before I continue with the review I want to mention that American consumers should not be put off by the average hotel brand of Best Western we envision here in the US. I have stayed at 4 Best Western properties in Europe and they all exceeded US equalivant standards. What this means is that there are great Best Western hotel values available in European travel - just a tip from an experienced traveler. Now the review of the Acropol.
This hotel was completely renovated about 4 or 5 months ago and it shows. The small lobby, dining area, Turkish bath/Spa/Gym, and particularly the rooms all sparkle with newness. Really, really nice. We were upgraded, no charge, to top floor, first class rooms with balconies and views of the Blue Mosque and Hogie Sophia - Oh my! The mattresses and linens were new and very comfortable. I could go on and on about the rooms.
The breakfast was extensive and quite delicious. You eat while sitting outside enjoying the morning and watching the street come alive. The location of the property is beyond compare. It is located on a very, very happening ave. with many street cafes, restaurants and local bars. In fact the hotel is located across the street from the #1 rated TA restaurant in Istanbul. I walked and saw many places in the Sultanahment, which is the distict you want to be located in as a tourist, and the street where this hotel is located is absolutely the nicest and most active. Perfect!
The staff was very, very friendly and quite helpful but could use a little more seasoning regarding the typical needs of tourists in Istanbul (eg - where is the roodtop bar with the nicest view of the city, things like that). We met the owner and current President of the Turkey boutique hotel owners association. He was a very charming, helpful man concerned about our comfort and enjoyment during our stay in Istanbul. Classy guy.
OK, Ok I'll stop gushing all these wonderful words of praise and just say that if you plan a trip to Istanbul in the near future this is where you want to stay. Hurry before all the great reviews starting coming through on TA and it becomes hard to get a reservation. Enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fully renovated historical mansion, this luxury hotel comprises a total of 22 Suites spread over 5 floors and located in the centre of Sultanahmet facing the Marmara Sea, Hagia Sophia, and Blue Mosque. 24-hour reception desk, concierge,currency exchange facility, laundry services and lift. There is also an air-conditioned a la carte restaurant, conference room. Complimentary Internet access (WLAN) as well as Health Club, Fitness Center, Turkish Hamam, Steam Room, Sauna. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your GLK PREMIER Acropol Suites & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Premier Acropol Hotel Istanbul
- Best Western Premier Acropol Suites And Spa
- Best Western Istanbul
- Istanbul Best Western